Forum home Archived Live web clinics

Welcome to our perfect smile webchat!

Hi everyone

Cosmetic dentist Dr Mervyn Druian and YYW beauty editor Sophie Qureshi are now online ready to help out with all your questions about getting a beautiful smile for your big day (and your photos!) so please post your questions here between now and 6pm to have an expert answer in minutes.

Please make sure you post within this thread, as we can't answer questions posted elsewhere in the forum and please do bear with us if we start to get busy, we'll get to your question just as soon as we can!

Thanks

Web Ed

• can you please give an indication as to how much I can expect to pay for a tooth coloured filling for a medium sized tooth? Also, is tooth whiteing safe? And are there any 'at home' options which you could reccommend?

Thanks
  • fsm21fsm21 Posts: 471
    Dear Dr. Mervyn & Sophie,

Thanks for this web-chat, its great to pick your brains about all matters dental!

I will be getting married in August 2008; my H2B and I are having a fairly long engagement partly because of my wish to improve the overcrowding/alignment of my teeth through labial orthodontic treatment. I had my braces put on in November 2006 and they are due to come off in April 2008. I have not broached this subject with my orthodontist, but I am supposed to be wearing retainers (one fixed, one removable) afterwards and I am worried that I will still have to be wearing them by my wedding date of 23rd August, even though I have been promised that all treatment should be over by that time. Could you tell me if it is possible that, in the event of me still needing retainers, I can have the fixed retainer removed for my big day and then if necessary re-instated afterwards? I really do not wish to have any sort of orthodontic implement in my mouth on the most important day of my life!

Additionally, I had planned to have my teeth professionally whitened after the orthodontics. However, I get a feeling that my budget will not stretch to this so could you please advise on which home-whitening kits might be reputable and safe to use. I have also invested in Darphin Denblan tooth-paste which is meant to be a very good whitening tooth-paste, but is there anything else I could do to improve the appearance of my teeth? Thank you so much for your advice x

• vickyirishvickyirish Posts: 2,037
    Hi, i have one tooth that bothers me all the time, when i was younger i had really bad teeth, i had a top and bottom brace and they straightened out.

But after a while this one tooth went back to its old position, and is set further back than the teeth next to it, it is still straight but just not in line.

What kind of options do i have for changing it??

Thankyou for your help.

Vicky

• Hi Leeby,

As for the filling cost, it depends on the size, the difficulty etc. of the filling and the fee should be discussed with the dentist.

Tooth Whitening if done in a controlled situation by a dentist is safe. To do Home tooth Whitening, do it through your dental practice, they will have the right kits for you.

Thanks!
  • Dear FabBride,

Regarding the retainer, the fixed ones are very unobtrusive and should not bother you at all. By not wearing one, your teeth may in fact start to move.

Speak to your dentist regarding home whitening, they are not very expensive. As for a whitening toothpaste, Retardex is excellent.

Thanks and hope all goes well.
  • Dear Vicky,

See your dentist about going back to the orthodontist to see if anything can be done, or else a veneer may solve your problem.

Good luck.

Dr. Druian.
  • Hello!

I am interested in having my teeth whitened before my wedding next september, but I have a crown on one of my front top molars. If I was to have my teeth whitened, would I need to have the crown changed too? I think this might put it out of my budget!

Thanks!
  • NICOLAWBNICOLAWB Posts: 474
    Hi Mervyn

I have train track braces at the moment that are coming off next week

If i have a fixed retainer, can i still have my teeth whitened or would this affect the retainer?

If I have a fixed retainer, do i need this to be replaced ever few months?

Thanks

Nicola
  • Hi Uniqueusername,

Probably not. Sometimes the crowns clean up a little bit when your teeth are whitened. You can always start the whitening process slowly and see how things go.

Thanks and good luck.

Dr. Druian.
  • Hi Dr Mervyn,

my teeth are in good condition and straight, apart from my two front teeth (upper jaw) which are slightly twisted. This has been upsetting me for years and years, and is due to an accident which I had when I was 9. The orthodontists then recommended not putting any braces in because they expected them to move "in line" again, which they haven't done. I am now 29 and have looked into things like "Invisalign" which is financially out of reach for me. Is it possible to put some sort of braces in just behind the front teeth to make them move back? I don't want to have a "full mouth of braces" when all that needs to be moved are the front teeth... and also for aesthetic reasons. Do you have any idea how much this would cost?

Thank you so much for your time.
  • Dear Nicola,

You can certainly have your teeth whitened with a fixed retainer. They usually are fairly long term so if it is comfortable you could probably keep the retainer for quite a long time.

Hope all goes well.

Dr. Druian.

• Dear Mervyn

I would like to get my teeth whitened for my wedding in September. can you advise how much this should cost and how far in advance i should get the treatment done . Also my teeth are quite sensitive and i have heard that this procedure can make it worse. is this correct?

Many thanks

Kelly
  • Dear Little Princess,

Visit a cosmetic dentist and get some views on what is possible. You may only be in for the cost of the consultation (sometimes one isn't even charged for the advice) and it may be important to take a couple of x-rays to see what has happened to the roots of the teeth.

Good luck.

Dr. Druian.
  • Hi There. I'm looking for a bit of advice on single false teeth. My issue is that I had to have one of my teeth removed when I was in my teens (upper right 1st bicuspid??) and have been stuck with a gap ever since. It's not really noticeable unless I'm really smiling (which I hope to do a lot of on my wedding day) and when I do smile I'm really self conscious of the gap and would love to have a false tooth to fill it. I have looked in to the various methods of doing this like implants or bridging but they seemed awfully expensive. Is there a way of getting a false tooth without breaking the bank and what sort or price do you think I'd be looking at? Alternatively I was wondering if there was such a thing as a temporary false tooth that I could get- even just to wear for that one day? All advice greatly appreciated. Kat : )
  • Hi Kelly,

You can use at home or in surgery tooth whitening. The fees vary from £150 through to £1000 depending on which system. Some systems cause far less sensitivity than others and even sensitive teeth can be whitened with some of the systems. Its best to see a dentist who has a strong focus on cosmetic dentistry.

Happy to help.

Dr. Druian.
  • adelesarahadelesarah Posts: 1,981
    Hi! I've been using a whitening toothpaste, but am starting to feel that my teeth may be getting sensitive. I've never had sensitive teeth before, but sometimes after eating things (usually sweet things) I feel a strange pressure on my back top teeth. it's not painful, but really annoying. Should I switch from the whitening toothpaste to a different brand?

Thanks image
  • How long before my wedding in June would you recommend I get my teeth whitened?

How much would it cost from an NHS dentist (I have a phobia and it took me years to trust my dentist but she is the only one I will trust)

Thanks image
  • Dear Mervyn,

I have noticed that a few of my front teeth are starting to turn and overlap slightly as my very back teeth come through.:\( Is there any way I can try to stop them/slow them down without getting a permanent brace? It's a bit too close to my wedding! I also grind my teeth lots at night; I don't know if it's related to that, but if you know how I can stop that too, the advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Hi Kat,

Firstly, you can get a false tooth on a little plate to close the space. This is not very expensive and any dentist can do it. Otherwise, you should seriously think of either a veneer type bridge or a fixed bridge or an implant. You should see a dentist who has a strong interest in aesthetic dentistry.

Good luck.

Dr. Druian.
  • Hopes_MammyHopes_Mammy Posts: 5,839
    Dear Dr Druian,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our dental questions! Im comtemplating bleaching my teeth using Carbomide Peroxide from the dentist but am worried about the sensitivity! Do you know how long it usually lasts and if there is anything I can use to prevent it?

Many thanks,

Paula

• Dear Ade1esarah,

It is very rare that a whitening toothpaste will be strong enough to whiten teeth. You may be brushing too vigorously causing abrasion and then sensivity. You should speak to your dentist or hygienist about this problem.

Thanks.

Dr. Druian.
  • I really want to have my teeth whitened for my wedding next year but have the most intense fear of the dentist ever, is there anything that i can buy over the counter that will work or do i really need to go to the dentist?
  • Hi Gem Gem,

You can start whitening your teeth any time from the spring. It depends on whether you have in surgery or home whitening (home whitening takes longer). As far as I know, whitening is not available on the NHS, but your dentist may be able to accomodate you privately.

Good Luck.

Dr. Druian.
  • PinkNicPinkNic Posts: 856
    Hi,

I had teeth removed and a brace when I was a teenager. My teeth looked great although about 18 months ago I began to notice that one of my front teeth has overlapped the other slightly. It annoys me everyday, especially after all the pain I went through as a child to get perfect teeth!

I went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago and he suggested I have a veneer on the other tooth so that they were then level and one didn't over lap slightly. I forgot to ask whether or not it would be the same colour as my teeth? what would happen if I had my teeth whitened? would it also whiten? Would it look really false?

Everyone says you can't notice it unless you really look - but I notice it everyday.

Please give me advice / solution!

Thanks, Nichola
  • Hi Joannapg,

I would suggest see a dentist with a focus on cosmetic dentistry. It may be that your gums are not in brilliant health, or you really have a bruxing (grinding) problem. A consultation would probably be the best option for you.

Hope all goes well.

Mervyn
  • Hi Paula,

If you are using bleaching trays, there is a product available from your dentist that you can put in the tray, that willhelp reduce the sensitivity. Sensodyne toothpaste also is a great help (so is Pronamel toothpaste).

Our pleasure to help you out.

Dr. Druian.
  • Hi Emma 25* 10 08,

You can use the Tre White system which you can get from your dentist where you don't even need impressions and they are pretty effective.

Thanks.

Dr. Druian
  • Hi Nichola,

If you are going to have your teeth whitened, have it done a month or two before you have a veneer, that way the colour will be settled. The veneer that your dentist will make should match your teeth pretty accurately. Don't worry!

Good Luck.

Dr. Druian.
  • Hi Dr Druin,

I am very interested in undergoing an Invisalign or Clearstep programme for my top jaw.

Which of these two would you recommend and how long would this treatment be?

These types of treatments seem to be popular in the USA and not so much in the UK, are they a tried and tested way of straightening teeth?

Many thanks
  • PinkNicPinkNic Posts: 856
    Ok Thanks.

If I have the veneer before and then decide to get my teeth whitened, will it also whiten?