MOB outfits

I thought I was being very fussy when trying to choose a MOB outfit, but looking at all of the posts on this site, it seems otherss are having the same problems. I am not young but I try and look nice and keep up with fashion in a way that suits my age (I hope). However, when looking in shops for a MOB outfit, they are either really expensive (£700+), or a little old-fashioned. If you want an outfit for the day thats fine with a suit, but then a suit doesn't look great in the evening and I think, as you are hostess ,in a way its a bit rude to go off and change - I think thats the bride's perogative, if she wants to change. So - its finding an outfit that looks great in the church and then one which is good for the evening whne everyone is a bit more relaxed. Monsoon and Coast are great - but don't do many matching jackets with the dresses so hard to get an outfit that looks co-ordinated, especially with shoes, bag and hat. Are there any MOB out there who are having the same problem as me, or am I just going to the wrong shops?. For anyone brave enough, there does seem to be a gap in the market for a shop that caters for all styles - not just the Condici and Frank Usher type outfits.

• camillamukcamillamuk Posts: 753
    I agree totally. Someone should invent a 'relatives of the bride' shop. My Mum spent ages stressing about what to wear, and in the end spent a small fortune on an outfit as she just thought to hell with it! It was perfect though - cream dress with flippy above the knee hem and matching jacket with ribbons to do it up. She looks amazing in it. (Im a bit annoyed its cream though, esp as shes accesorising in cream too!)

Good luck.
  • GatorgirlukGatorgirluk Posts: 183
    I also agree, finding my Mum's outfit has been the worst part of the planning by a long way. She is still young and like you like to keep up with fashion. She bought a dress in Coast with a jacket from BHS, they go together really well. We saw loads in John Lewis, that could be a good place to look. I agree about Condici etc, they are vastly over-priced and either too frumpy or in horrid garish colours. MIL2b has bought her dreadful orange and black ensemble from Condici but I really musn't start on that again!!! Photographer can just tone down the colour.
  • Hi

My Mom insists she wants to wear green (its her favourite colour), I had a look in a local boutique the other day as I saw a green outfit and thought I would check it out, but it only went to a size 16. She is an 18-20. She only has a limited budget too (she's retired). I am going shopping with her this Saturday to have a good look round and see if we can find anything.

• GatorgirlukGatorgirluk Posts: 183
    You should be OK with green, there's lots about, especially in the department stores. Good Luck!!!
  • ArmstrongukArmstronguk Posts: 639
    my mum bought her outfit from Jacques Vert and it is just perfect for our chocolate brown/latte themed wedding. It is a chiffon shirt, very floaty and a simple top in the same material and colour (which is capuccino with cream dots). for the day she has a plain capuccino jacket (lined in the material), ivory hat and shoes and a matching spotty scarf and handbag. When the formalities are over the hat, scarf and jacket come off and mum will add an ivory scarf so she has a comfy and gorgeous outfit too ALL for less than £500

Andrea x

she looks absolutely radiant in it and I love her to bits as she makes me so proud
  • ArmstrongukArmstronguk Posts: 639
    OOPS SHOULD SAY SKIRT NOT SHIRT - typing with 1 finger whilst eating image

my mum bought her outfit from Jacques Vert and it is just perfect for our chocolate brown/latte themed wedding. It is a chiffon shirt, very floaty and a simple top in the same material and colour (which is capuccino with cream dots). for the day she has a plain capuccino jacket (lined in the material), ivory hat and shoes and a matching spotty scarf and handbag. When the formalities are over the hat, scarf and jacket come off and mum will add an ivory scarf so she has a comfy and gorgeous outfit too ALL for less than £500

Andrea x

she looks absolutely radiant in it and I love her to bits as she makes me so proud

• LilycatukLilycatuk Posts: 467
    Hi mobsoon,

My mum had the same problem, plus she's fairly short and with a rather large bust so I found this quite stressful. We went to a special 'mother of the bride' shop but all the outfits started from £600!! In the end she just trawled the internet looking for local shops and found one. - However she still ended up spending about £400. She bought a long lacy/crocheted (sounds hidious but actually nice) dress and matching bolero jacket. - She wanted to hide the top of her arms but didn't want too heavy a jacket for the evening. This was perfect as it was light-weight and suitable for day and night. She thinks she might be able to wear the dress again somewhere (not actually sure where she thinks, it's a bit too smart!) to get some wear out of it.

I think you might find you'll have to trawl 'round a bit and might have to drive a bit further afield than you would normally, if you want that 'perfect' outfit. Good luck with it!
  • melissaflowermelissaflower Posts: 101
    I haven't yet started looking for dresses with my ma however I get the feeling it is going to be harder than I thought.

I completely agree that the MOB dresses are either too expensive or old fashioned.

Maybe it would be best to go for something not so MOB ish and just go for something you feel good in but looks great. Do you have any old outfits that maybe you could get a friend to spruce up?

Good luck!
  • OMG WHAT A NIGHTMARE... trying to find something suitable... I am skirt size 16 but top size 22... would love to wear a dress for my daughters big day...hey ho... like that is going to happen.... I have tried on a few outfits, found a nice one in Jacques Vert.... only a mere £400 in total... sorry but I don't have that kind of cash lying around.... especially after making sure my daughter has a fab day.

However, I have made the bridesmaid dresses so thought about making my own outift. I have found a pattern that has a 3 piece, skirt which I will wear just below the knee, sleeveless fitted top which will emphasise my waist and curves and jacket which I will make collarless and short sleeve. I think I have chosen the right colour, cornflower blue, which is similar to the one I tried on, but does the MOB have to match the wedding theme??? not sure about that one..... thing is the theme is silver and pale lilac..... I have red hair so look rather washed out in lilac/purple shades.... I could always accesorise with the silver??

Sheesh arranging the wedding is enough of a headache... why can't I just wear my comfy jeans and george michael(yes I went to see him live) tee shirt????!!!!!
  • mobsoonmobsoon Posts: 27
    Hi Suefisher,

I sort of feel that the MOB should tone in, rather than match. Cornflower Blue would go lovely with licac and silver would look just right. I am like you and can't dream of spending a fortune, particularly on something you will probably only wear once, and I also thought of making something, but my husband said - just don't go there - becasue he knows I get in a bit of a stop if something doesn't fit right, and he had visions of me working to the wee small hours of the wedding morning trying to get it finished. Good luck with your outfit and have a wonderful day.
  • NearlyMrsMikeNearlyMrsMike Posts: 1,768
    Hiya

My Mum got her outfir today from the same place I got my dress, maybe it would be worth you trying the bridal shops. It's a beautiful turquoise mid-calf length strappy dress which cross over at the back, it also comes with a very light matching jacket-type thing (not really a jacket but it's floaty and hard to describe as anything else!) and also a scarf for the evening. Mum was prepared to spend a bit more as I'm the only daughter so she won't get chance to be MOB again, but the outfit was only £99 and 10% off (as I'm the bride and got my dress from there), she would never normally spend that on an outfit but as it's a special occasion.... we both thought that the prices would be extortionate from a bridal shop but were pleasantly surprised.

Liz x
  • clareeg21clareeg21 Posts: 218
    what designer is it nearlymrsmike? I am having the worst trouble trying to find something for my mum, especially as MOG has a big flamobiyant outfit, my step mum has a decent outfit and my mum who's not especually fashion conciuous and who I want to look the nicest on the day cant seem to find anything, she is only 5'3, size 20 because of steroids for her health and wats something knee length and a skirt and top, not a dress because it shoes her middle too much, All the styles this season seem to be calf length or ankle length which would just dwarf her. any suggestions anyone?
  • NearlyMrsMikeNearlyMrsMike Posts: 1,768
    Hi Dancindiva, you got me there with the designer question! I can't remember but I can phone the shop tomorrow and find out if you like, just on the offchance you're nowhere near Gloucester are you??! Because that's where my dress is!

Liz x