Mother of the groom.... grrrrr!!

Hi girls....

Just needing some opinions please?

Re to father of the groom..... would the grooms dad normally wear the same suit and colours as the rest of the bridal party?? I think he would, but my wonderful mother in law to be wants her hubby (father of the groom) to match her??! Now, am I being selfish or ...???!!!

It's not even as if our colours are hard to match... the girls are wearing black and the boys are also in black except for emerald green cravats (excuse any poor spelling!) Mother in law 2b is wearing purple and wants father in law 2b to match her outfit...

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved! image thanks girls.. hope all plans are coming along nicely xx

• nicolakingnicolaking Posts: 63
    hiya, I think its tradition for the father of the groom to wear the same suits as the bridal party. is the father of the groom aloud an opinion?? (although if your MIL2B is like mine then no ha-ha).

Dont stress about it, tell MIL2B that you and H2B would like him to wear bridal party suit but if HE wants to match her then fine, but he'll be missing out x
  • Hi MissM.... no, bless him i dont think he his allowed a voice!..and you know what are boys are like it when it comes to their mothers!! haha..trying not to stress about it, i know it's only a minor issue but she's actually doing my head in!! haha... am glad though, that someone else agrees with me and thinks it's tradtition...everyone seems to have this opinion except for MIL2B!! image thanks love!
  • Hi Ladies,

When my brother got married, my dad didn't match the bridal party, they all wore kilts and he wore a suit with a pink shirt to match my mum - looked great for the photos.

And when I get married, my FIL2B will wear whatever he wants, probably a suit (again, bridal party are wearing kilts). I think as long as he wears whatever makes him happy then I'm fine with.

Why don't you ask ur H2B to speak to him and find out if he wants to match his son or not?
  • Tricksteruk1Tricksteruk1 Posts: 805
    Difficult to say. I don't feel very strongly about this. My dad will wear what he likes but it certainly won't be like the groomsmen/groom. He'll also have a buttonhole that matches my bouquet rather than the groom and his crew. He might wear something that "matches" my mum but I suspect they might both find that idea amusing (not dissing it, but I don't think it would cross their minds to "match").

Try not to get too worked up about stuff like this. I agree with seeing what he wants to wear really.
  • MrsCarter2beMrsCarter2be Posts: 432
    Hi

Our Father of the Groom is wearing the same suits as the groom, best man, usher, father of the bride and also the page boys/male ring bearer

As far as I am aware this is the formal etiquitte of male dress for a wedding.

If it was my wedding then I would expect him to wear to mach the rest of the male party and not to match his wife.
  • Both the fathers are wearing matching suits as the rest of the men in the wedding party, but different waistcoats and cravats. We didn't want them to be too matchy, matchy.
  • Seems to me FMIL is just out to be a pain in the butt! tell her like all traditional weddings your FFIL will be wearing the same suit in the same colours as his son.

I honestly don't see why she see's the need to match her Husband, does she match their outfits when they attend any other wedding or special occasion.

If it was me i'd simply say his wearing what we say and thats the end of it, I am not getting into a drama over the colour of a suit.

Good luck dealing with her, I don't envy any bride with a pain in the bum inlaw

xx
  • Seems to me FMIL is just out to be a pain in the butt! tell her like all traditional weddings your FFIL will be wearing the same suit in the same colours as his son.

I honestly don't see why she see's the need to match her Husband, does she match their outfits when they attend any other wedding or special occasion.

If it was me i'd simply say his wearing what we say and thats the end of it, I am not getting into a drama over the colour of a suit.

Good luck dealing with her, I don't envy any bride with a pain in the bum inlaw

xx
  • Amandas28Amandas28 Posts: 738
    Ah hun! sounds like a pain to me. You want them matching really or he will stand out. Tell her thats the colour he is having! I'm sure you'll find he will want to wear the same as everyone else to.

Fingers crossed for you xx
  • WeeTrixiWeeTrixi Posts: 215
    My dad, H2B's dad, ushers, BM AND Groom are all wearing the same.

My colour scheme is royal blue, white and silver so my mum is wearing silver and white and MIL2B has offered to wear a blue dress to tie in with the rest of the wedding party.

I think it should look fab in the pics if all of the colours tied in. I asked FIL2B what he wanted to wear tho. He told me that he wanted to blend in with the rest of the wedding party.

Its rare when you get inlaws so eager to please the bride and groom....aw bless em!!

• IBFunkyukIBFunkyuk Posts: 976
    Hi..Yes the bridal party do normally wear the same suits and matching colours, groom and bestman sometimes do different tie or waistcoat, depending on style of outfits.

I got this samething from my MIL she is very stronged willed and wants it her way...we did not have a church wedding so we did groom and best man in same bought suit and the dads in a nice grey bought suit...they all had white shirts and dads/best man had red ties groom gold/yellow...see below

• Miss_PenguinMiss_Penguin Posts: 1,020
    Quoted:

Really? I think if you start telling people what they're going to wear, then that will cause drama. Of course ask people to wear what you want them to wear, but I think it's rude to tell them. Won't your MIL and FIL be together in lots of photos? Why shouldn't they co-ordinate with each other?
  • willsgalwillsgal Posts: 419
    When you say that she wants him to 'match' her... please tell me this poor man is wearing a suit with a purple tie... not a purple suit... If it's the latter, I would definately put your foot down for your poor FIL's sake! x
  • Eleni87Eleni87 Posts: 214
    My FIL is wearing the same as my fiance but we did toy with the idea of wearing family tartens. In that case my fiance would have worn his Mums family tarten and his Dad would have worn a generic Scots tarten.
  • nickicovnickicov Posts: 491
    Same suit as the rest of the party!
  • hestheone1hestheone1 Posts: 42
    ..perhaps you could provide MIL and FIL with matching catsuits like the Beckhams!! Sorry!
  • cazanncazann Posts: 832
    We have FOB, FOG and Groomsmen matching and I'd say that's traditional. However, we don't always stick to traditions and some people prefer to be modern, or different. Remember it's your wedding and should be your choice.
  • I couldn't put it better than Mrsc2be !

hope you get it sorted - get your H2B to have the 'chat' maybe??

• my son inlaw said he did not want everyone looking the same there was only going to be 3 men in dress suits that was Best man, groom and father of bride, they had same suits ties waist coat but different flowers but amazingly nearly all men turned up in black suits with purple ties nothing was said but brides colours purple it was really good

father of groom died unexpectdly but he would have worn same or expected to wear same