Forum home Mother of the Bride

Shopping trip for Mums outfit - Where to go?

Hi, Just looking for some advice.

I would like to take my Mum shopping for her outfit for my wedding but no idea where to go. Can anyone recommend a town or city that would give us lots of places to look? It doesn't really matter where it is, I might arrange it as an Christmas present and have a night away. My Mu is absolutly gorgeous and want her to be able to show everyone and herself that, as she doesn't see it.

The budget is resonable I think for an outfit, a couple of hundred pounds, probably £250 including hat.

Mum is in her late 50's, size 12-14 5 foot 5 with hour glass shape, so pretty good shape for most things, but will NOT wear anything that shows her knees but doesn't want to wear full length.

Everything seems to be too young and short or too old and frumpy, whereas my mum is fashionable, gorgeous, but a little more conservative.

Any suggestions anyone?

• Liverpool is always great for shopping - although I would say being from Liverpool myself! We have a massive shopping complex called Liverpool One with a great choice of shops. Debenhams and John Lewis would probably be a good start for your mum or maybe Monsoon or Coast? x.
  • Thank you. I think my Mum is worried that someone else may turn up in the same outfit if she buys is from some of the usualy high street occaission places, but there only seems to be that option or outfits that start at £600, and that isn't an option financially.

We do need to get her out trying stuff on though!

Thanks

Anymore anyone?
  • how about trying a place like Bicester village? my mum loves shopping there, and it's our first start when we go for her next Jan!

you get all the big designers, and between the usual discounts as they're previous season clothes, and the sale, you can get 70% off on designers like D&G, diane von fustenberg, mark williamson, or Coast.
  • I haven't been for a few years, but my mum always loves shopping in Cambridge. It has a lot of the usual high street shops (a John Lewis, Monsoon, Topshop, Oasis etc) but also an independent shop called the Tailor's Cat, which (when I last went) stocked quite a lot of dresses/skirts and jackets and some fascinators etc that would be perfect for a mother of the bride. Plus Cambridge makes a nice weekend trip as you can go punting/have tea etc.

I think Bicester village is a good suggestion too though, as my mum loves that as well.
  • Thank everyone. I think I am going to look at Bicester Villiage, as we will be able to drive there within a couple of hours and then get a travelodge only a few miles away.

Thanks for all your help.

• Would your mum consider having an outfit made? Maybe look at local dressmakers and see what they would charge? x.
  • Jo21ukJo21uk Posts: 74
    My Mum didnt want an outfit from the high street either in case someone else had it, but at the same time didnt want to spend a fortune. One she tried on was £1200!

She has now bought a dress and jacket from the Michael H Gold collection which came to around £300 for the two. They are stocked at quite a few places and definately worth a look. There is a few shown on the website (my mum has the purple ruffled dress) but they had more in the shop we went to in Lancaster.

http://www.michaelh.ie/stockists

Jo x
  • Southport.....I would be biased as my Dad lives there...or Chester? If you are looking for something different for your Mum there are quite a few Boutiquey shops there
  • MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride
    Where is tailors cat in cambridge? My parents live in cambridgeshire and I want to take my shopping in cambridge soon for an outfit as well.

Does it do slightly larger sizes. My mum is tall like me and a siz 20 so finding it really hard to find something to flatter (spesh as mum of groom is tiny!)
  • There are some gorgeous boutiquey shops in Cheltenham - my mum went with a friend on Saturday just to start looking and came back with her entire outfit and a hen night dress!!

Slightly gutted that I wasn't with her on that shopping trip though
  • My mum has just bough the Kate dress from phase eightt with their cream grosgrain jacket to go with and it looks youthful without being trashy.
  • i went with my mum last week to the Trafford Centre, after 7 hours we found her gorgeous dress for £150 from Coast at Debenhams (the actual Coast shop didnt have anything particular decent in). My mum is a young 42, and has lost 4 stone in the last year and is now a very slender size 8-10. it was difficult because she didnt want to wear a traditional MOB outfit as they did nothing for her figure and age. i think somewhere needs to actually cater for young MOB's. i love shopping but it was a nightmare trying to find something that felt right for her and was approved by my gran who wants her to wear a BIG hat, though she is not going to.

My mum also got a matching fascinator which is lovely. it was so much easier getting my dress image