Not MOB more MOG problem...

While at my in-laws today we got talking about the wedding... Joking that my MIL gets to buy a new outfit. Her words where "I'm not bothered as long as it's purple"

I sound like such a bridezilla when I think about it in my head, but we're getting married in November next year and are toying with the idea of having reds, oranges and whites as our colours (thanks to some lovely suggestions from ladies on here!) Surly these colours will clash and she will look like a sore thumb in wedding photos? lol.

Or am I just being silly.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

I don't think you can decide what colour your future mother in law wears, this seems a little unreasonable to me. You'll have lots of people there wearing lots of different colours it really won't matter, all that matters is that she is there to share the happiness on your special day.

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

I quite like the contrast of orange with purple and i wouldnt want her in the wedding colours at all.  

• Rachael116Rachael116 Posts: 150

I was concerned about colour choices for the mums' outfits and expressed it in here to be told I was being a bit of a bridezilla.

By coincidence my mum's will look perfect with the scheme (honestly it was the one she liked best and I didn't push her in any direction). The MOG's outfit will contrast completely (but not clash) with everything but she likes it and is happy in it. 

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 990 New bride

I thought I was being a bit unreasonable when I thought about it in my head! Slight bridezilla moment I think lol!

I agree with you all though, as long as she's there and happy in what she's wearing that's all that matters.

Thanks guys x

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

My mum and mother in law asked about colours and asked my thoughts.... However if they decided to choose without asking me - I wouldn't have been bothered

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,099 New bride

Consider yourself lucky- my ex mother in law bought a dress in the identical shade to my bridesmaids (on purpose) so in all the photos she looks like an overgrown bridesmaid. So weird!! She wa going to wear a white lace dress to the wedding until my ex husband stepped in and told her not to!

I think purple and orange can look great and you really won't notice it in the photos anyway x 

• Hayley217Hayley217 Posts: 29

I've just been to a wedding wear the colours were the opposite way around, the wedding colours was white and purple and the MOB was wearing Orange, for the MOB or MOG I don't think it matters as much, she is essentially just a guest, a special guest, but a guest none the less, so I wouldn't expect her to wear the same colours as your bridal party. 

• Susan103Susan103 Posts: 52

Hi,

Traditionally the MOB would buy her outfit which compliments the scheme and would then call the MOG to let her know what she was wearing so they didn't clash or match!

I did tell my mums what colours they weren't allowed like bright green or something garish just in case! As they will be in alot of pictures, but both chose pastel colours and look fab!

I have a vision for the day and both of them asked me to go shopping with them so I did have an influence over what they wore - maybe suggest a shopping trip if that's possible??

Susan103 wrote (see post):

Hi,

Traditionally the MOB would buy her outfit which compliments the scheme and would then call the MOG to let her know what she was wearing so they didn't clash or match!

I did tell my mums what colours they weren't allowed like bright green or something garish just in case! As they will be in alot of pictures, but both chose pastel colours and look fab!

I have a vision for the day and both of them asked me to go shopping with them so I did have an influence over what they wore - maybe suggest a shopping trip if that's possible??

A shopping trip would be a good idea, with my mum it wouldn't be so bad but with my h2b's mum I'm not so sure. lol. 

• MrsRendall2BMrsRendall2B Posts: 714 New bride

I would steer her away from dressing in similar colours to bridesmaids anyway as like has been said, you don't want it to look like she's trying really hard to be part of the bridal party as an overgrown bridesmaid 

I've seen purple and orange done together before and it actually works quite nice. Although if you're really concerned a shopping trip could be the way to go and you could point her either towards really deep purple or lilac.

MrsRendall2B wrote (see post):

I would steer her away from dressing in similar colours to bridesmaids anyway as like has been said, you don't want it to look like she's trying really hard to be part of the bridal party as an overgrown bridesmaid 

I've seen purple and orange done together before and it actually works quite nice. Although if you're really concerned a shopping trip could be the way to go and you could point her either towards really deep purple or lilac.

The overgrown bridesmaid remark made me laugh - my FMIL is quite a short woman so the bridesmaids will be taller than her anyway! haha 

• Don't worry about being Bridezilla! Trust me, there's so many bumps along the road, nobody will begrudge you your moments. I had a gazillion, now i'm on the other side I do think I was an idiot, but a rant and a breakdown every now and again is what we need to relieve a bit of stress! :)

But, if it helps, I always wanted my mum to be in 'my' colour scheme. My bridesmaid dresses were originally grey so when she asked what colour I wanted her to wear, I told her grey. The second lot of dresses I bought were a bit grey - more grey tulle with a navy under layer, which actually looked awesome - but, on the basis of my mum dressing like the bridesmaids, we told my MIL we'd like her to match the boys. She came in a navy dress and a grey coat.

I pushed my mum towards white accessories so teamed her grey dress with a white hat and shawl and it all seemed to blend in perfectly but with bits of our mothers matching their kids and the bridesmaids matching my colour scheme and the boy's suits and the suits incorporating the grey of the bridesmaids (It just happened like that, but i'll take the credit ;)

It worked for us, so if you do want to steer her in the direction of wearing matching colours, tell her you want her to look a part of the wedding party. It will make her feel included and you almost get a say in what she wears. Winner! haha.