Why cant my mum just say i look nice!

Hi guys ...

I went to try on my wedding dress on monday and went with my mum and sister.

Now i know my mum doesnt really like the big dress i have chosen ( she handt seen it before) and would have preferred me in a slimmer dress but its a dress a like and thats that.....

I was stood in front of her veil, tiara shoes everything and asked.....

So what do you think? do i look nice?

she said

"im not gonna give an opinion you know how i feel about those kind of dresses"

i then asked "awww mum, you proud of your little girl all dressed in white " (jokingly) and she said

"proud of what??"

Now im a good daughter, never gotten into trouble, own my own business, own house etc...done ok for myself and she like h2b....

Why couldnt she just say i lookd nice or she was proud of me....I already knew she wouldnt be a fan of the dress but she could have at least said i looked nice....

Now at the time i wasnt that upset as i expect these remarks from her, but ive been thinking about it, its been bugging me, couldnt she for one day just say i looked nice and smile?

I also loved the tiara she chose so we got that...and when i said " ooh you will have to learn how to put on my veil and tiara - that the mother job" (so i heard...)

She said, oh well i didnt think you would want me around you when you were getting ready....

I have tried including her in the wedding prep and she is sorting out the cake...so i dont think its being left out...we have always argued in the past and it seems like she doesnt want to venture an opinion in case of an argument which wouldnt have happened...

I dont know.. im confuzzled....

alex

xx

ps here is a pic...excuse the hacked off look! i do smile really!

[Modified by: exmisslang2b on 07 May 2008 14:04:51 ]

• dippy_moo86dippy_moo86 Posts: 1,863
    my mum is the same all i usually get is "well its different i suppose" GRRR! i think the dress looks fab chick look at your tiny waist!
  • rachaelafryrachaelafry Posts: 4,271
    I cant believe your mum would be so cruel, you so suit that dress and with your tiny waist I think you would suit that style any day over a slimmer fitting dress, you are like me and have curves in the right places and this style of dress makes the most of your figure, my dress is big and my mam loved it but she even if she didnt she would never be so brutal in her response, you stick with what you want, its you wearing it not her and really the only person whose opinion counts is yours, am sure your H2B would marry you in a bin bag and am sure plenty of us will reassure you that the dress is perfect xx
  • Alanguk1Alanguk1 Posts: 211
    thanks guys...

i told h2b what she said and he stopped me half way through saying "ive heard enough i can guess the rest!" just ignore her was his advice!

i love the dress and its not her who is wearing it!
  • LucyLou09ukLucyLou09uk Posts: 251
    Hello exmisslang2b, first of all think you look gorgeous! you really do have a tiny waist - am jealous!! I totally sympathise with you - my parents are always making 'useful' comments like that and not just about the wedding stuff. I know its easier said than done but your h2b is right ignore her - you look gorgeous and the dress is lovely. Parents are funny creatures at times!! xx
  • natashabonenatashabone Posts: 631
    I love your dress, you look great in it! All I got from my mum was 'hmmmm, are you sure you want that?' all the time about everything I mentioned about the wedding. Not speaking to her anymore because its just totally unacceptable! My dad on the other hand has been the complete opposite x
  • coops82coops82 Posts: 166
    You poor thing, do you think your mum might be jealous? Did she have a fancy wedding? What did your sister say when u ur mum made those hurtful comments?

You look absolutely gorgeous in your dress! What kind of dress did your mum want?

Just remember, its your day, and the only other person u have to impress is ur h2b - and im sure he will love your dress! x x x
  • Alanguk1Alanguk1 Posts: 211
    Quoted:
    You poor thing, do you think your mum might be jealous? Did she have a fancy wedding? What did your sister say when u ur mum made those hurtful comments?

You look absolutely gorgeous in your dress! What kind of dress did your mum want?

Just remember, its your day, and the only other person u have to impress is ur h2b - and im sure he will love your dress! x x x
    my mother wedding was quite posh for her day...

my sister just rolled her eyes when mum said what she said!

and my mum wanted me in Maggie Sottero Porsche Anne.....i loved the top and the bustle but the skirt didnt do it for me!
  • lisab5063lisab5063 Posts: 34
    mums ay?