did anyone have their mum give them away?

I am not very close to my step dad and since he and my mum split a few years ago i see him even less.

I really dont want to hurt his feelings by saying i want mum to give me away but at the same time its meant to be my day to have what i want with no regrets.

Any help would be great

XX:\?

• I did. She walked me downt he aisle, gave me away and sat beside me at the meal...
  • I'm not married yet, but I am having my mum give me away - sadly my dad passed away 2 years ago so it was actually my mum who asked if I wanted her to give me away, (a friend of hers gave her daughter away a few months before we got engaged). I had been thinking of asking my brother so in the end I decided my Mum would walk me down the aisle and my brother would do the speech at the weeding breakfast. Perhaps this could be a way of including them both? Or you could tell him that it was something your mum really wanted to do?
  • I did!

My dad is in a wheelchair but can walk v. slowly but to avoid embarrassment for him, and the worlds longest walk down the aisle, or potential dress cuaght in wheelchair fiasco I asked my mum - and it was great! My dad was fine with it, my brother wouldn't have wanted to do it.... and I'm very very close to my ma!

Do what you want to do and don't try and please everyone it will never work.

Seriously - the ceremony is a big part of the day - but the aisle walk is very short in comparison to a lovely long day celebrarting YOU and YOUR hubby. All eyes will be on YOU - and not whose arm you are clenching as you glide past your guests.

• thank you very much for all your advice. I did think of asking my sister to give me away then i would not hurt either of themXX

[Modified by: mrsgiles2b on October 28, 2009 06:11 PM]

• claire531claire531 Posts: 489
    My best friend had her mum give her away and it was beautiful!

It is your choice, your wedding!
  • My mum has passed away and im not close to my stepdad. My nana gave me away. It felt right.

All that matters is that its someone important to you

xx
  • bugbobbugbob Posts: 10
    my mum gave my sister away. My dad walked her down the aisle and then my mum gave her away. She wanted them both to be involved as she was brought up by both so wanted them both to share. Perhaps this could be a good option for you. Our vicar was fine with this and thought it was a really nice touch. She had never come across this before.

You do what feels right it is your day.

• bugbobbugbob Posts: 10
    my mum gave my sister away. My dad walked her down the aisle and then my mum gave her away. She wanted them both to be involved as she was brought up by both so wanted them both to share. Perhaps this could be a good option for you. Our vicar was fine with this and thought it was a really nice touch. She had never come across this before.

You do what feels right it is your day.

• yes that is a good idea. To be honest the bit i am worried about is when we are at home on our own before we leave.

So many people say that is a really special moment but i find it hard work to have a conversation with him at the best of times.

I just know with my mum even if we dont even talk it will be special. We are really close,we see each other every day. it just wouldn't seem right to have my dad when i dont even see him once a month and he only lives in the village next to mine.

I just sound like im ranting now!

XX

[Modified by: mrsgiles2b on October 29, 2009 07:29 AM]