wedding day on page 2. Read as much as you want, or just look at the pics,

I don't mind! I loved writing it almost as much as I loved the wedding,

but not quite image

Thank you all for your support, I would have been much more

of a bridezilla without you!!

Just pushing it down to avoid the ads.

The week before

The week leading up to the wedding was busy with preparation and laughter

(and only a couple of stress related tears!). My sister, brother-in-law and my two

young nephews arrived in the UK from Australia a week earlier to attend his

brother's wedding in London.

The two events had been planned so close together intentionally so my

sister and her family could attend both. When we got engaged around

the same time, the race was on to set a date so the other couple could

work around it!

My parents also arrived from Australia a week before the wedding to

help us with the organisation and preparation. We thought we were

almost ready before they arrived but we still managed a week full of

busy pre-wedding activities!

On Monday, we had to get straight to the suit hire shop to get my

dad measured up, and he did look smart in the grey suit we had

chosen for the men. Mum and I then headed up to the bridal shop

for my second fitting, and found the dress looking amazing and

fitting like a glove.

As a last minute thought, we wondered if the gorgeous ostrich feather

shrug was still in a boutique where we'd spotted it some six months

earlier when my mum had been over helping me wedding-plan.

With changeable weather and varying temperatures all week,

I began to wonder whether I should get something for warmth

???????just in case???????. So, this started a new mission which would take

us most of the week to complete, when we discovered the ostrich

feather shrug was a one-off and had been sold! While we were at

the dress fitting, I saw a marabou feather shrug, which did look

amazing with the dress, but I was wondering if it made the outfit

look too ???????wintry snow queen???????, when I had been hoping for a glorious

Indian-summer wedding all along....

[Modified by: Claud909 on 18 October 2009 10:48:10 ]

• Monday evening was spent at home with a lovely meal cooked by my dad, and my mum and I making the table plan for the wedding, with a couple of bottles of wine consumed and a lot of laughter. She decided the paper remaining when we'd cut out the circles for the tables made good hats, so it was compulsory to wear them for the rest of the creative process!

On Tuesday we had ???????nothing to do??????? which meant heading into Brighton to get the last few bits on the list. This somehow turned into a long day of shopping, which the boys were less than impressed by. I had decided at the last minute that I wasn't sure about the necklaces I had bought the bridesmaids some months ago, and after a conversation I'd had with two of them in which they suggested they may like to wear just earrings rather than necklaces (they hadn't known I had bought them any jewellery at this point) I decided I needed to get them earrings for the day. Not necessarily matching each other, but ones that would be of the same ilk. So, another mission was on! After a long day of searching, I found the perfect clear crystal earrings, with one, two or three crystals in them and bought a different pair for Charlotte, Steph and Zoe. I was very excited with the purchase (so were the guys after a very long day!) and I thought I'd give them both the necklaces and earrings, but they wouldn't work together so I'd let them decide which they wanted to wear (secretly hoping it was the earrings!) We also decided we would return to get the marabou shrug from the wedding dress shop, as I had seen nothing else that compared.

Later, Spencer and I were treated to a lovely dinner at our local gastro pub, and another very pleasant evening spent with my mum and dad in anticipation of the big day.

Wednesday arrived, only 3 days to go! After a gentle start to the day (and a quick trip to the gym) mum and I went for spa treatments - for me, a salt scrub exfoliation, to prepare my skin for the spray tan the next day. An odd and very brief treatment, made all-the-less relaxing by the continual fire alarm tests throughout the treatment. Hopefully mum enjoyed her massage more! We also picked up Spencer and my dad's suits and were relieved to find all the right bits in all the right colours and sizes.

My sister and family headed down from London and we had to get my nephew an appointment at the doctors to get him checked out. Thankfully it was nothing serious, just some ulcers and a temperature caused by teething, making him a pretty sad little boy. So this meant what was due to be a nice relaxing BBQ at ours, interrupted only by a quick trip to the seamstress to get my sister's bridesmaid dress altered, became a quick dinner, downing a little champagne before they headed off for an early night. We did manage the trip to the seamstress though, who was relieved that my sister's dress only needed minimal alteration - lucky considering she had given birth to my second nephew only 12 weeks earlier so we had pretty much guessed her size!

Thursday, again with not much planned, started off with a spray tan for me, followed by a picnic on the beach. My uncle arrived and joined us for a coffee and was thrilled to see nephew number one again and meet nephew two for the first time.

• Spencer and I had decided we'd like a night alone at home for some calm before the madness of the weekend, so my mum and dad kindly checked in to the hotel where my uncle was staying. They were a little worried on checking in, to see approximately 40 teenagers streaming into the hotel as they arrived, but on seeing the looks on our faces we were quickly assured by their supervisor that they were about to check out and head off! Still suffering a little jet lag, and excitement-related sleep deprivation, the last thing mum and dad needed was to be surrounded by noisy teens for the night!

We all met for dinner, but only after Spencer and I had completed yet another last minute mission (I had thought I had been so organised and left almost nothing until the final week - thank goodness we both had the week off work!) A few days earlier, it had occurred to me that I had never noticed a full-length mirror at the cottage where I was staying and getting ready for the wedding. Now, call me vain, but having spend a little time, money and effort ensuring I would look ???????OK??????? for the big day, I thought I may want to check for myself on the wedding morning, so I had contacted the wedding coordinator, and sure enough, there was no mirror there. The only one at home was part of a large chunky wardrobe door, so short of screwing that off, it wasn't really practical to take it with us. So, 36 hours before the wedding, having asked a couple of people if they could stop at Ikea and pick us up a cheap mirror (they couldn't fit it in their cars) we rushed off to the DIY shop to get a mirror, of all things! Obviously, the usual wedding venue guests who were there for yoga retreats and personal development courses were less conscious of how they looked than I thought I might be!

We met the family for dinner at an Italian close to our house and where the others were staying, and thankfully my Uncle picking up the bill was impressed (he can be a hard man to please!) and Spencer and I left for a relatively early and peaceful night at home alone before the madness of the next few days would begin....

• H2B with my folks!

• [Modified by: Claud909 on October 07, 2009 10:30 PM]

• [Modified by: Claud909 on October 07, 2009 10:29 PM]

• saphuksaphuk Posts: 1,090
    Ooh Claud I am enjoying your wedding report! I was thinking of you on the 19th xx
  • DandMDandM Posts: 1,788
    Loving it already!! image Keep it coming!!

So jealous of you having the whole week off!
  • 2011brideuk2011brideuk Posts: 2,156
    Great report honey and loving all the pics. More please. image

xxxx
  • Wedding-eve

Friday, we managed a lazy breakfast together, and I fitted in a final trip to the gym where I saw my instructor who gave me a big sweaty hug and wished me well. I had a permanent excited grin on my face and couldn't understand why no-one was smiling back - surely they somehow knew I was getting married tomorrow??!! We then packed the cars, checked, double checked and triple checked the lists and finally left the house 2 hours later than planned! I hadn't really planned a time to leave, as I knew I would be reminded of it repeatedly when I wasn't ready to go, and had just vaguely said we'd head off at lunchtimeish. ???????Oh well???????, I kept saying, ???????at least we don't have much to do when we get there???????.

At the last minute, I mentioned to Spencer that we had to call at my business PO box on the way, as I was expecting something which hadn't arrived in the post at home, but I couldn't tell him what. Unimpressed, he drove us there to find a big queue and still no letter. I had written to his football team some months earlier asking for a letter or note of congratulations to read out during my speech, and when it hadn't arrived a few weeks ago I had called and asked them again. I was told they would be delighted to do so and assured that it would be in the post shortly. Again, after a couple of weeks of it not turning up I called, and was told ???????I'm glad you called again, I lost your address so haven't sent it yet???????! Again, I waited for it to show and hoped it hadn't got lost in the postal strikes which were happening the week before the wedding. When it still hadn't arrived a week after our previous conversation I called again (now 4 days before the wedding!) and asked them to send another one to our home address as a last ditch attempt. Sadly, neither turned up in time (and so far haven't done since!). As Spencer says, if that team were organised, they would be dangerous!

• So then to the dress shop to collect my dress, the bridesmaids' dresses and the shrug. After losing my mum and dad on the way there, making Spencer anxious as time was marching on well beyond his planned departure time, we eventually all managed to find each other and the shop and the dresses and get them in the car. Now 3 hours late on Spencer's schedule!! But finally, we were on the road to the venue and could relax.

Florence House was looking great, the chairs almost set up for the ceremony, Steve the manager was pottering round getting the place looking spick and span. I gave mum and dad a tour and they were suitably impressed. How could anyone not love the gorgeous house, the serene feel to the place, the feeling that you were very welcome at someone's home, and the beautiful grounds it nestles in? We set about our tasks, placing the little details such as the birdcage for the guests' cards, the wish heart of twigs where we wanted guests to write us a wish and tie it on, and finalising the seating plan after some last minute cancellations.

• The best man and a couple of Spencer's friends arrived, so time for the best man to try his whole outfit on for the first time (we had bought his shirt and he'd hired his own suit to, hopefully, match the rest of the bridal party!). Down came Spence to announce the shirt fitted perfectly, the suit was the right style and colour ... but Paul had decided to go with a cravat instead of the tie everyone else was wearing! A quick call to Moss Bros thankfully assured us the guys could pick a tie up from the local shop in the morning, as there was one in stock. And after a quick call to the other usher, who wound up Spencer saying he also had a cravat, thankfully he was just messing and it sounded like all the boys would match! So off they went to get back in time to meet my uncle for beers and dinner. They were staying at our house for the night, so after a long goodbye seeing my fianc???? for the last time before he was just about to become my husband, I was assured by them that they wouldn't get him too drunk that night.... Yeah, right?

Next, the wine arrived, and as the man from Majestic was unloading, he realised he had brought us the wrong bubbly! However, lucky for us he had brought us more expensive stuff than we had ordered so we weren't complaining. He was very apologetic and embarrassed (being the manager!) and said we should try it, and if we didn't like it, he'd bring the right stuff to us later, but if we were happy we could keep it for no extra charge! So we obediently chilled it, and tried it, and unsurprisingly it was lovely! Thanks Majestic wines!

• Then, the dilemma of what to have for dinner. We had decided not to buy in a chef for the evening, but I didn't want a take-away which would make me smelly on my wedding day! And nor can I eat pizza, so our options were limited! Eventually we worked out that fish and chips would be the best bet. So the logistical operation began. By this time, the two ladies from the local beauty salon had arrived to do our nails. We had established that Spencer's dad Keith and his wife Gill were running late having been sent round the houses by the sat nav (I hoped that wouldn't be the case for all the guests tomorrow!), and that my bridesmaid Steph was also running late due to train troubles. So after finding a fish and chip shop through recommendations by the nail girls (having been provided with a North London phone book by Steve before he left - though we were in East Sussex!) we decided that as they didn't deliver, Keith and my dad would go and pick it up, and collect Steph on the way, who had never met either of them. Her instructions were to find two middle-aged men in a blue Volkswagen carrying nine portions of fish and chips! Somehow they all made it back in one piece together with the fish and chips, and plenty more booze!

• So we had a delicious dinner of fish, chips and mushy peas washed down with some fine champagne, one bottle of which I hadn't noticed was vintage until it had been opened. Rather extravagant to drink that with fish and chips, but absolutely delicious!

The men then headed off into Brighton to catch up with Spencer and supposedly make sure he wasn't going to be too hungover for his wedding - I tried to stop being the over-protective nearly-wife! I knew he would turn up and enjoy the day no matter what state he got into tonight! We girls sipped champers by the fire, letting our nails dry and chatting until bedtime.

[Modified by: Claud909 on October 09, 2009 10:44 PM]

• mrshelen74mrshelen74 Posts: 9,282
    more please
  • Ooooh more please!! xx
  • Thanks ladies... so now for the interesting bit....

The Big Day

So, after eventually getting to sleep (the owner of the house who lived in the flat above the cottage must have thought the loud classical music would be soothing!) I woke at 4am, and think I drifted in and out of sleep after that, but gave up the fight around 6.45am. I looked out the window to see a gorgeous start to the day, the sun just coming up over the cliffs. I still crossed my fingers though, as the detailed weather report we had resisted looking at until yesterday, had threatened heavy rain at 4pm, just as we wanted an outdoor drinks reception and all the photos! Oh well, nothing would spoil the day, even the awful sore throat I had woken up with! So off I went outside, to practice my speech to the bunnies running around the gardens, and the golfers playing an early morning round on the golf course next door. I couldn't get through it without getting emotional, so resigned myself to the fact that the speech would be a teary one, and no-one would really mind.

• I headed back to the cottage to find no-one else up yet, so popped some jeans and a top over my PJs and headed up to the cliffs. The view up there was beautiful, and as we had decided on our visit to the venue with the photographer, there would be no time to go up there for pictures later on, as we wanted to go to the beach too, so I was glad to have the chance to go up there on my wedding morning, clear my head, blow the cobwebs away and watch the sun coming up. I was so excited, and finally the nerves were kicking in. For a few weeks Spencer had been saying he was getting nervous, but when people asked me if I was, I genuinely didn't understand what there was to be nervous about. Marrying the man of my dreams, surrounded by my family and friends who love and support me, have a fun filled day of celebration - what was there to be nervous about? But this morning it hit me! Saying the vows through the inevitable tears of intense emotion - trying to make sure they were said loud and proud, so everyone could hear the promises I was making to my husband. Getting through the speech again loud and proud without blubbing all the way through and having to hand it over to someone to read. Getting through the first dance without falling over, forgetting it all and looking a bit crap! Yes, now I got what there was to be nervous about. Still, it was thrilling, excited nervousness, not like going into an exam!

This isn't me on the day (it's from an earlier visit) but it prety much looked like that the morning of the wedding!

• I headed back to the cottage, hoping I returned before anyone had noticed I'd gone and thought the bride had done a runner, and found mum up and pottering around. I showered, and opened the card Spencer had given me, which was gorgeous and full of emotion, which set off the tears all over again. I allowed myself to have a good old cry, hoping that I could then keep it together for the rest of the day! We headed over to the main house to have breakfast. Seeing everyone else who'd stayed overnight, including those who'd been out with Spence the night before, somehow put me more on edge. I had sent him a text as I was going to bed at 11pm and the fact that he hadn't responded did not bode well - probably indicating he was a little worse for wear. Whilst I would have liked a little text, I was prepared to wait and see him at the end of the aisle - hangover or no hangover!

After breakfast, ???????team gazebo??????? got to work, doing a great job of getting them up and looking pretty with bunting - hopefully to be used as shade from the sun rather than shelter from the rain for the smokers!

• Before I knew it, the fabulous Hayley, the wedding coordinator who had already been a godsend over the last few weeks, had arrived, armed with the throat medication I had asked her to bring. I sneaked it into my room, as I didn't want people to know I wasn't feeling on top of the world, especially my mum who would have been fretting all day. Hayley tried to get on the phone to the chair cover people who should have been there by then, and I was running round trying to do the final bits around the house before the make up lady came, and taking delivery of our sandwiches we'd ordered in for lunch. Hayley had been pulled left and right and was just about to call the chair cover company when I went to the front door to greet the make-up and hair ladies, and as they arrived, so did someone else in a van. ???????Hello, are you from Bows Hire with the chair covers???????? I asked cheerily. The woman looked at me stony faced and said ???????yes, and we're having an absolute nightmare of a day already???????. ???????Well???????, I responded ???????I'm the bride so I don't want to hear about your nightmare day??????? I said, and promptly walked off to find Hayley to deal with her. How dare she, I thought, does she really expect me to sympathise with her having a few difficulties on my wedding day? Very unprofessional, I thought! In hindsight perhaps a bit oversensitive of me, but they should know that brides can be a little highly strung on their wedding morning!

• JanieKukJanieKuk Posts: 395
    Amazing report Claud! I remember seeing your dress pics when you were trying to decide what veil to wear! Can't wait to read the rest. Your venue looks amazing - congratulations hunny xxx
  • BrideToBeeBrideToBee Posts: 1,026
    were has this little gem been hiding ive only just found you, beautiful venue claud, keep it coming xxxx
  • So, after grumbling about that and quickly getting over it, it was time for me to get back to the cottage for my hair to be put in rollers, and then the other ladies to have hair and make-up done. As they started on my mum's hair, the 2 other bridesmaids decided they ought to get in the shower, only to find there was absolutely no hot water. Steve got on the phone, trying to find a plumber willing to come out on a Saturday morning (and not charge the earth!). In the meantime, off the girls trundled to the main house for showers, looking like campers heading of with towels and toilet bags! Lucky the house was only 50 yards away! We'd also discovered an issue with the electricity earlier, when we established that nothing working off a plug would come on. We had left a message for Steve to come and fix it, which entailed him heading straight into the bridesmaids' bedroom without knocking to be flashed by Steph's bum as she got out of bed! I'm assured she was clad in underwear, but there were some blushes nonetheless! So every so often, the hairdresser's dryer or straighteners would trip the fuse and someone had to head into the bedroom to flick it back.

• So, after what seemed like a flash (but not of anyone's bum, or the electricity tripping) my mum and sister were all glammed up and looking amazing, and Donna was ready to start on my make-up. At the same time, her assistant Jade worked her magic on Zoe and Steph (not that they needed magic, she just did fab things with their hair, making Steph look like a rock diva, and Zoe funky and fabulous)! By now it was about 11.30am and I wondered where the last 2 hours had gone. Mother-in-law-to-be, Gill, was doing a great job of running round doing little errands, making cups of tea etc, and Zoe and Steph started on their own make-up while I was still being transformed into a bridal beauty! By now, I was getting a little anxious, and decided to give my dad the important job of opening the first bottle of bubbly (well, the first since last night). I knew I mustn't start guzzling it from that point on, but needed a little something to calm the nerves. I was waiting for an opportune moment to give the bridesmaids their gifts, before they started asking what jewellery they should wear - but there was always a plumber walking through, a photographer or videographer asking if they could come and take pics, or my sister dashing off to see to one of her babies. So, it was on with the face, and then onto the hair, and before I knew it, it was around 1pm and I heard word that my husband to be was ON HIS WAY. So, he wasn't still in bed hungover, and hadn't changed his mind! Phew! Again, a blur of the next half hour, and then I heard my husband to be was HERE!! ???????Phew???????, I said out loud this time, and Donna (doing my hair) said ???????you didn't doubt he'd show up, did you???????? Of course I was only joking, but glad to know he'd got here in one piece, and before long we'd be saying our vows.

• Finally, a moment of calm to give the girls their pressies. So with a preamble saying I didn't think the two pressies went together so they could decide one or the other or neither for today (they didn't have a clue what I meant) they opened their gifts. I had previously (again, last minute) managed to find my sister a matching clutch bag for her shoes, but there weren't two more in the shop for Steph and Zoe. So on that busy Tuesday afternoon in the week leading up, M&S had come up with the goods, a cute little satin clutch matching the shoes really well. So, they opened those, and then all three opened the non-matching necklace and earrings I'd bought. The necklaces bought some time ago fitted with the butterfly theme I started out with, and then had gone off a little, as I decided I didn't want it to look like a child's fairy tea party with butterflies everywhere! So the butterfly details were still there, but subtly. And in marquesite necklace form for the BMs, but not necessarily to wear today, having found the crystal earrings this week. As the girls opened their gifts, they were met with suitable oohs and aahs, and hastily tried on. The consensus was that they all loved both pieces of jewellery, but the earrings looked best with the dresses (yay!). The earrings looked lovely, and after months of me saying that I'd be happy, even glad, if the three of them didn't look exactly the same, did they want different dresses, different shoes, different sashes, they finally had something different, even if it was only the number of crystals on their earrings!

• My nephew, exploring!

• DandMDandM Posts: 1,788
    Loving the getting ready pics! We had novelty heart sunglasses too - weird! Glad to hear you didnt get stressed about the plumbing or electricity tho image Im not sure I would have been so calm!!

The Bridesmaids look amazing btw, and your nephew is FAR too cute!
  • SquitSquit Posts: 363
    Congratulations! Awesome report! Pics are great! Can't wait to read/see more! xx :\)

[Modified by: Sleepybee on October 12, 2009 01:18 PM]

• charli159charli159 Posts: 449
    This report is lovely image I want to see pics of u now!!
  • more more more!! I'm loving this report! xx