Dream Catch Me - My Wedding Report 19.09.09 (With Pics)

DandMDandM Posts: 1,788
Pushed down because of the stupid ads

Well I can't believe I'm actually here writing my report, I really can't believe I've finally had my big day and I know it is clich???? but it really was absolutely perfect.

I've spent a lot of time on here since getting engaged last year and have loved reading all the reports, and so am going to be quite self-indulgent and write mine as a bit of a memento (apologies in advance, I think its going to be pretty long). I hope you all won't mind! I'm not the most natural writer, but I'm going to make an effort for this! I promise lots of pictures to keep you interested (Although they'll be the unofficial ones for the moment!)

I also want to post this as a bit of a boost to all the budget brides out there. Our total wedding budget, including minimoon was about 4K, and we could have cut back further if we had wanted to. I know how daunting it can be realising you have such a ???????small??????? budget - and how stressful this can be, so I guess I just want to show to anyone doubting themselves that it is possible, and possibly add a few tips I have found out along the way! I know all the ???????budget bride??????? reports certainly helped calm my nerves! LOL. I'm certainly not an expert, but I guess ???????every little helps???????.

I'd also like to take this chance to thank every single one of you ladies who has helped me over the past year, answering my silly questions and sharing your ideas and experiences. It is true to say our wedding wouldn't have been the same without you - and I would have mostly wound up all my family and friends without YAYW to constantly chat weddings on. So thank you.

And so on with the report...

[Modified by: DandM - Now married! on 10 October 2009 21:30:50 ]

[Modified by: DandM - Now married! on 10 October 2009 21:39:01 ]

[Modified by: DandM - Now married! on 10 October 2009 22:07:07 ]

• DandMDandM Posts: 1,788
    The day before the wedding:

Both hubby and I had the day off before the wedding. In theory we didn't have much to do, but we still ended up running around like crazy people for the entire day. And I have honestly never been so stressed in my life. I urge anyone who is able to - take off more than one day before the wedding! One day is just not enough!

D's Dad had picked up the suits the day before, so the first job on the Friday was to get everyone to try their outfits, and get any changes made with the suit hire company. Luckily there were no major issues, and so that was one job ticked as complete. The in-laws had (rather kindly) booked us in for a massage as a present that morning, and again this is something I would totally recommend if you can. I mentioned before that I have never been as stressed in my life as I was on that Friday, and I am one of those people that carry stress in their shoulders... the massage was divine and VERY much needed. Feeling much more relaxed we headed off to fill up the car with all the wedding bits and pieces we had accumulated over the past year to deliver them to the venue. The main task was dropping off the cake, which was made by my Nan and I - it was a three tier fruit cake and weighed an absolute tonne so this was no mean feat! Hubby has never driven so carefully in his life!! We also had to drop off the table plan, place cards, ceremony programmes, decorations, guest book bits, flowers and garden games - there was probably more, but I think I have blocked it out!

We then had to pop to Sainsburys to pick up some flowers so I could make two bridesmaid bouquets as I was worried the bridesmaids would feel awkward without something to hold when walking down the aisle. Due to the small budget we had been very strict with the flowers, we had found (after a fairly extensive search) a florist who was willing to do us a basic brides posy, and 5 table centres for a cost of £150 - the ???????catch??????? being that we could only specify colour and style, and the florist would get whatever flowers she could within the set budget - and that we had to collect and deliver the flowers ourselves (which we did on the Friday). Neither hubby or I are particularly fussy about flowers and so this worked out really well for us, and was actually a really lovely surprise the day before the wedding.

We had then arranged a meal for the whole family at a local restaurant which was a lovely way for everyone to meet properly, and to welcome a number of D's family who had travelled from Liverpool for the wedding. It was a lovely relaxed evening and really helped to kick-start the celebrations, and chill us out after a rather stressful day. After the meal I said goodbye to hubby - it wasn't until this point that it really hit me that we were getting married in the morning. It was suddenly very real and very very exciting. After making the bridesmaids bouquets, I had an early night. I had suffered really badly from insomnia the week before the wedding, but slept really well the night before. I even managed to sleep through till about half 6, which I wasn't expecting!

The Wedding Day

I stayed in bed until around 7, when I finally gave up the pretence of sleeping and got up. I know I had breakfast (which I believe to have been bacon sandwiches) but I honestly have no recollection of eating anything. I had stayed at my Mum's the night before with my Mum and chief bridesmaid, but my other bridesmaid, my brother (who gave me away), his girlfriend and one of my other very close friends all turned up at about 8 so the house was soon full of people getting ready. I had a relaxing bubble bath to help me chill out, did my make up and set off for the hair dressers around 9.

After we returned from the hairdressers we spent a while chilling out in the sunshine, having some (non alcoholic) bubbly.

But soon enough the morning went into overdrive and it was time to start getting ready to leave. The girls got into their dresses and sorted their make up and I changed into my wedding underwear and stepped into my dress.
    The Dress + Accessories

I had had a fair few dress wobbles on the run up to the wedding. I hadn't spent long looking for dresses, in fact I only visited one bridal shop, and had bought my dress in a sample sale. It wasn't what I had been expecting to wear (it had a train for one!), but when wearing it in the shop I realised I felt like a bride in it and so had decided to go for it. I didn't have that feeling everyone describes of wearing ???????the one???????, and neither my Mum or I had any tears when trying it on (although to be honest, neither of us are like that), but still I worried it wasn't quite right. The pictures online did nothing to help me. The model looked horrendous, and I could only find two pictures (and no dress twin!) as it had been discontinued. However, on the day I knew I had made the right choice. I felt like an absolute princess, and everyone commented on the dress and how it was quite clearly made for me.

In the bridal shop, I had also found my veil. Again, this was something I had worried about as I haven't seen any pictures of anyone else with this style of veil despite some fairly extensive searches on the internet), but it certainly suited the dress (and me with my fairly simple taste). My shoes were off the high street, and although not necessarily traditional, when I saw them, I knew I had to have them. In fact, I had my shoes before I'd even started dress shopping, so it was just as well they went with the dress...

And so, a few completely selfish piccys of my outfit (these are not the best piccys, but best show off the different aspects of the dress, including my fave part - the train!)

My Mum and I

• You look beautiful! I love your flowers... can you tell me whats in your bouquet please?? x
    Ooh thank you image

I really know what was in my bouquet as I actually didnt choose! But I believe it had Aster and Lilianthus. I just asked my florist for some purple country style flowers. x

• Goregous, gorgeous. Any pics of the shoes?
  • Its gorgeous and exactly what I want for mine! Congratulations by the way! Am loving your report x
    Thanks, Claud! (loving your report BTW, have you added anything to it tonight!?) I'll try and find one for you now. image

And thanks Nuttynana, I'm waiting on the official pics but if theres a close up of the bouquet I'll post it for you. image
  • Thank you.. much appreciated x
    The Shoes:

• Oh wow, gorgeous!! Love them! Where did you find them?

No, not tonight, too busy watching x factor!
    Back to the morning of the wedding...

At this point the car arrived, and so it was time for a few pictures with the car and to say hello to the neighbours who had come out to wave us off, before the girls and my mum set off for the venue. It was suddenly very quiet as it was just my brother and I in the house, and we had nothing to do but wait for the car to return. It was the longest 20 minutes of my life!

The ceremony was due to begin at 12, so when the car returned my brother and I climbed in and set off. Unfortunately in my eagerness to get to the venue on time, I didn't realise that we were running really early, until we got just around the corner from the venue - at 1130 - the time we had given to our guests to arrive! So I asked the driver to drive us around for a little longer to waste some time. It was bizarre driving around as everyone was so lovely, honking their horns, waving and just generally staring. I felt like a celebrity!

We were very lucky with our wedding cars. Due to the budget we were initially not going to bother, the ceremony and reception were both being held at the same place, and the venue was a maximum of 10 minutes from both my Mum's and D's Parent's houses - however, D's family managed to organise a vintage Jag and a Bentley for D and I to travel in from friends of theirs with very expensive taste in cars who were willing to provide them free for us. The one thing I would say to anyone planning a wedding is to ask around, you will be surprised at just how generous how people will be to help you out.

D and his Bestman with their car

Quoted:
    Oh wow, gorgeous!! Love them! Where did you find them?

No, not tonight, too busy watching x factor!

Thanks, I think they were from Beales. I got them in the January Sales so they were a complete bargain!

And get on with it woman!image I demand more!!

I'm off for tonight now. Will post more tomorrow x
  • You look so cute in the picture of you holding your bouquet! Really fresh faced and gorgeous!
  • daisylozdaisyloz Posts: 3,109
    gorgeous hun xx
  • TheNemoTheNemo Posts: 929
    So lovely. ANd your flowers must have been a gorgeous surprise, she did a fab job. I love your cute little veil. I've never seen one like it. Oh and the cars are just gorgeous. What a lucky, beautiful bride you were. Congrats and I'm gagging for more....
  • becks01becks01 Posts: 679
    lovely pics xx
    Thanks so much for all your lovely comments. I really was very lucky. I have some fab friends and family around me and it was a great day. image

The Bride has arrived

So after a bit of a detour, we arrived at the venue. In a lot of reports I have read of brides feeling very overwhelmed and teary at this point, but I just felt excessively happy, and eager to be getting on with it! The photographer was waiting to get some pictures, and then I went in to see the registrar who was waiting just outside the ceremony room. We had a brief chat and she asked if I was ready. At this point, I think I had my idiot moment of the day, I was suddenly very aware that I was about to make my entrance, but I didn't have any lip gloss on (I know, I can't believe I did this) so I asked the registrar to grab some off my mum who was sat waiting in the ceremony room. I didn't realise at the time, but this nearly gave D a heart attack, as he thought there was some issue and I didn't want to come in! In my head, I don't think I has realised that everyone was in there waiting for me as I was really chilled out, but I do feel a little guilty now! D has said though, that when my mum announced what I wanted to the room, the laughter certainly helped to cut the tension and relax him a little... so it's not all bad!

One quick tangent...

A little while into the planning I had come across a ceremony programme on an American bridal website that I had fallen in love with and that I decided would be perfect for our wedding. It was a fan style programme, giving all the info of the day, but whilst doubling as a fan (I was hoping from the beginning it would be warm!), and so with a month or so to go I set about buying the card, setting up the artwork and starting to make the programmes. It was a nightmare! Each programme had three sections, which were doubled sided, so had six individual parts which needed cutting, sticking and sorting. It also took forever to sort out the template so it worked as a fan, and didn't just flap about. At the end of it all though, I was so glad we had persevered, they looked fab, and not only did everyone use them as a fan, we got comments from nearly every guest about how lovely they were.

The front had a welcome, details of the timings of the day, and the programme of the ceremony, whilst the back had the menu for later in the day

[Modified by: DandM - Now married! on October 11, 2009 02:45 PM]

And so, on with the ceremony

Unfortunately my lip gloss moment was not the only hitch in getting into the room - the venue staff were to be responsible for starting the music I would be walking down the aisle to (an instrumental version of ???????all you need is love??????? by the Vitamin String Quartet. I had spoken with my bridesmaids and planned out how we were going to enter, however, unknown to us, the staff had started the music early, then left the door shut for about 30seconds of the song, meaning we were standing outside waiting for the music to start ( as you couldn't hear it outside), and everyone was inside waiting for us to start walking. When the staff opened the doors I realised the hiccup and so we had to wing it and just start walking. It meant I missed my ???????cue??????? which was timed to coincide with a certain part of the song, but to be honest, I didn't even hear the music once I'd started walking so it really didn't matter!

I walked into the room, and all I could see was my soon to be husband. His face totally crumbled and I could tell he was trying not to cry. It was absolutely perfect and I have never been as happy as I was at that moment.

One of my all time favourite photos of the day is of my brother walking me up the aisle, just as mine and D's eyes meet, it totally captures the moment. I'm hoping the picture of D's face is just as good, but I haven't got that yet from the photographer.

• love it!
  • DustyMothDustyMoth Posts: 1,528
    Ah, D&M, you look fab! Congratulations! I can't wait to hear abot the rest of the day image I had that feeling of the DIY being worth it in the end on the day too, made all that swearing worthwhile!

I'm being very lazy with mine, all you girls have started and I just can't quite get round to it somehow!
    Thanks Dusty! image The DIY was definately worth it in the end, but I was just about ready to kill someone the week before the wedding!! How dd all ur DIY go? Did u get all the pom poms done?

And start it whenever your ready! Just let all us 19th girls know about it so we dont miss it!! Cant wait to see it all come together!
    When we reached the top of the aisle D and I had a huge hug and he told me how beautiful I looked, and the registrar asked us to sit down and began the ceremony. I was so busy looking at D that I forgot to give my bouquet to my MOH (luckily she grabbed it off me when she realised!). The registrar introduced herself and explained about all the legal bit of the ceremony, before starting with ceremony.

We had two readings; the first was Union by Robert Fulghum read by our friend B just before we made our declarations to each other:

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry.

From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with ???????When we're married??????? and continued with ???????I will and you will and we will???????- those late night talks that included ???????someday??????? and ???????somehow??????? and ???????maybe???????- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, ??????? You know all those things we've promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.???????

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, and this- is my wife.

We said our declarations to each other, promising to take each other as husband and wife, promising to cherish and respect each other, be loving, faithful, loyal and kind to one another - to which of course we both answered ???????I Will???????.

My brother was then asked to stand and to give his blessing of the marriage.

We then moved onto the vows, and hand in hand we said those famous words: ???????I do solemnly declare, that I know not, of any lawful impediment why I D may not be joined in matrimony to M???????. We were then told to turn and face each other, and our Mums told to stand as they would be the formal witnesses for the marriage.

And so, staring into each others eyes we agreed to take each other as husband and wife. D was first, and said his bit amazingly, ???????I call upon these persons here present to witness that I D, do take thee, M, to be my lawful wedded wife???????

It was then my turn, and blinking back the tears I said mine, ???????I call upon these persons here present to witness that I M, do take thee, D, to be my lawful wedded husband???????. I managed to keep it together, although there was a definite wavering of my voice, and I did slip up on D's name slightly!

Just as I got to the top of the aisle

[Modified by: DandM - Now married! on October 11, 2009 06:24 PM]

• emmalampkinemmalampkin Posts: 6,619
    Lovely pics sweetie.

Msssive congrats. xx
  • BrideToBeeBrideToBee Posts: 1,026
    d&m,

sounds a house full at your mums to keep you busy,

all your diy paid off welldone you

love your little sparkle shoes

cant wait to read more xxxx

Sorry about the delay, its all been a little crazy the last few days!

And so on with the story...

We then had our last reading just before the exchange of rings, from our Chief Bridesmaid, called ???????Blessing of the Hands???????, unfortunately I have been unable to find out who it is by.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow, and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children.

These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one.

These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.

And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

The Best Man was then asked to join us, and to provide the rings ready for the exchange. This was one of my favourite moments of the ceremony, as to me the rings really do represent being ???????married???????, and its one of those moments I've been dreaming about since being a little girl.

???????I give you this ring, as a symbol of our marriage, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have I share with you???????

We were then announced as Husband and Wife and we leaned in for our first kiss and a proper cuddle, it was an amazing moment as we wrapped our arms around each other to the applause of our loved ones.

We then, of course had to sign the register, which we did to Newton Falkner's ???????Dream Catch Me??????? and Jack Johnson's ???????Better Together???????.

After a number of photos, we stood up and the registrar concluded the ceremony, presenting our certificates and again announcing us as husband and wife. This was my real fairytale moment. We were walking out to Sixpence None the Richer's ???????Kiss me???????, which to me is one of those songs which would be played at the real romantic moment in a film. And so hearing those first few lines kick in as our friends and family stood up, cheering for us, was amazing. We had another kiss, and walked back up the aisle hand in hand.

Our first kiss

• charli159charli159 Posts: 449
    MORE!!!! What a lovely report. congrats x
  • saphuksaphuk Posts: 1,090
    D&M, your ceremony sounded just wonderful.

Thanks for saying who sang "Dream Catch Me" - it's been driving me mad trying to remember!