My wedding story Pt 2 (still with pics link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stressqueen

PART TWO

As my wedding day dawned and I woke up at home, the first thing I saw was my wedding dress, hung at the front of my wardrobe. I lay in bed staring at it, scarcely able to believe that my wedding day had finally arrived.

After a quick shower I departed for the hairdressers. After returning home not once but twice to collect various items I had forgotten, I finally made to the hair salon. I was so nervous my knees were shaking.

My hairdresser and I had previously decided that I would wear my hair in soft waves because I wanted something natural and relaxed. I'm not sure how this got lost in translation after previously having had a successful trial, but I left the salon looking like Shirley Temple. I kid you not, my head was a mass of rigid ringlets. I was gutted, but had been too scared and shell shocked to object whilst still in the salon.

Shortly after I got back home Mum and Aunty arrived to help me get ready. One look at their faces when they saw me told me all; my hair was a disaster. We hummed and haaed, and eventually plumped for carefully combing through the ringlets with a large toothed comb, which mercifully gave me the look I wanted - gentle curls.

The rest of the morning passed in complete chaos. Once the make up artist, bridesmaids and my brother arrived, my carefully constructed schedule totally went by the wayside, as everyone gossiped and caught up over cups of tea instead of getting ready. Tip: get your make up done professionally if you can possibly afford it. I looked and felt amazing, and would never have been able to do that myself. It was also very calming.

When it was time for me to get my dress on I was told by Aunty, who had totally taken over my bedroom so that she could get dressed, that she wasn't completely ready yet, but that she would move if I wanted her to, whilst implying that this would be a Major Inconvenience for her. (Sadly this is typical behaviour). My room was too small for the both of us, so I ended up getting ready FOR MY OWN BLOODY WEDDING huddling with my mum in the freezing cold bathroom, in about 30 seconds flat. I was cross, but had to let it go.

Finally it was time for champagne. Then the black cab company with whom I had ordered cars to take us to the ceremony called and said they had no cabs available in the area. I had been too tight to order special wedding cars (at £500 a pop? No way!) and had thought a regular black cab company would do just fine. Sadly not. So we all ended up arriving in mini cabs. Not very sexy but what could we do?

By the time I got to our Town Hall for the civil ceremony my nerves had evaporated and all I felt was pure excitement. I couldn't wait to get on with it. As I arrived the photographer suddenly appeared, and I saw the Best Man waiting for me, saying with a huge grin on his face, -You look amazing'.

-The moment I wake up

When I put on my make up

I say a little prayer for you'

I will never forget standing outside the Chamber waiting to go in. The music began (Say A Little Prayer by Aretha Franklin), the doors opened and my gorgeous bridesmaids set off. Seeing them walk in ahead of me will be burned into my memory forever. I felt so proud of them. I waited for a few more moments to collect myself, nodded to my brother who was giving me away, and in we walked.

All the stories you hear from brides are true. The moment I saw my groom standing there waiting for me was another moment I will never, ever forget. I totally focused on him, only vaguely aware of our family and friends to either side of us. I think I managed to walk up to him at a suitable pace rather than racing in nervously, but I can't be sure. Once I reached him I can't really remember a great deal. I know that my body was still but that my heart was pounding, and I vaguely wondered whether I might faint. He was equally nervous, but equally relieved to finally see me. -You look stunning, really beautiful', he whispered.

The sun was streaming in through the stained glass windows and the flowers looked and smelled wonderful. A perfect Spring day in London. The Best Man broke the ice by jumping up with the rings much too early on in the ceremony, prompting lots of laughs. We had two readings, one from each mother. My mum's was mercifully short, as she was holding back the tears throughout. When we were finally pronounced husband and wife we got an absolutely massive cheer, and amused everyone as we both simultaneously heaved huge sighs of relief. We signed the Register to 'I Made A Lovers Prayer' by Gillian Welch and -I Second That Emotion' by Smokey Robinson, then left the room to -All You Need Is Love' by The Beatles.

Afterwards: much hugging and kissing from the guests, being surrounded by happy faces, a small child making us all crack up by shouting -cheese!' during the group photos, being completely smothered in confetti. Being desperately thirsty during the formal portraits and wishing for them to be over (I regret this). Walking the five minute journey to the reception venue through central London as a family, and being beeped in congratulation by passing traffic.

At the reception: ice cold cava (not one person noticed it wasn't champagne), lots of fragrant bunches of rosemary, paperwhites and white tulips in jam jars perfuming the air. More sun streaming through the windows. The steady chatter of happy guests. Hearing how happy R and I looked over and over again. Gorgeous food during our meal, although I couldn't really eat anything. Attentive waiting staff. Wine flowing. Great speeches, not too long, funny, poignant and touching. Forgetting to cut the cake but then remembering in the nick of time. Being joined by all our guests halfway through the First Dance. The wine still flowing. Lots of dancing and laughing.

My Aunty complained that the music was too loud and asked me to call her a taxi at 9:30 pm. She actually let me stand there, in my wedding dress, on my wedding day, fishing around in my handbag for my mobile so that I could call her a cab. Thankfully my dear, dear brother rescued me and despatched her safely home.

Then it was time for the music to go off. R stands on the stage and introduces me to everyone as his wife. We get a rousing rendition of -For They Are Jolly Good Fellows'. We all pour into a nearby hotel bar and carry on drinking into the early hours, before I am reluctantly made to call it a night. I pass out within seconds of getting into bed (oops), and wake the following morning, remembering that I married the man I love and who loves me back, that my wedding day was the best day of my life, and that I am one of the luckiest girls in the world.

The Readings:

Marriage

A Marriage is a promise

That two hearts gladly make

A promise to be tender

To help, to give and take

A marriage is a promise

To be kind and understanding

To be thoughtful and considerate

Fair and undemanding

A marriage is a promise

To share one life together

A love-filled promise meant to be

Kept lovingly forever.

"Union"

by Robert Fulghum

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with ???????When we're married??????? and continued with ???????I will and you will and we will???????- those late night talks that included ???????someday??????? and ???????somehow??????? and ???????maybe???????- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, ??????? You know all those things we've promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.??????? Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.

[Modified by: classybird on 25 April 2007 14:02:39 ]

• brentuk1brentuk1 Posts: 3,071
    well you have now got me in tears.

I can't believe we are having the same song for walking into the venue - We thought it was very appropriate as it tells a story

oooh i'm getting excited now

Happy years to come to you and your HUSBAND,

xx

Samantha xx

• Claire07ukClaire07uk Posts: 3,482
    Aaah I'm all teary now! I loved Part 1 but Part 2 is even better! And you'd never guess from your hair that you had such a disaster beforehand; it looked lovely! Your aunty sounds like a nightmare - jealousy methinks! It all sounds like a wonderfully perfect day and you all sound so happy - congratulations!
  • Natalie77ukNatalie77uk Posts: 1,247
    Ah Congratulations Classy Bird. It sounds like you had the most beautiful, happy day. And you look fabulous.

Well done x
  • CeleryukCeleryuk Posts: 3,640
    Congratulations and you hair looked nice!

Have a wonderful married life!

xxx
  • You've brought tears to my eyes. You should write a book...you have a talent.
  • Hi classybird,

Your wedding story made me cry! What a beautiful, special day - and the dress looked AMAZING - so glad you found it. The lace bolero and flower in your hair are perfect - so beautiful. It looks like such a funky, elegant, loving city wedding - and so much fun.

Thanks for your kind comments about my photos. I'm so glad you had an amazing day. Every detail sounds perfect (except for your aunt - but there's always one, isn't there!).

Eden xx
  • ellybeeellybee Posts: 1,381
    Ahh, what a great story Classybird, thanks for sharing it and you're photos.

Best of luck for the future.

XXXX
  • melanierice1melanierice1 Posts: 1,966
    I loved reading your story Classybird - I hope you and your husband have a long, happy life together.
  • KristyukKristyuk Posts: 897
    Thanks for sharing your story and pics. I looked at the pics before reading the part about your hair and never would've guessed the hairdresser originally did it wrong, it looked great!

Congrats on a beautiful day (and how funny that your Aunt wouldn't let you get ready in your own bedroom!).
  • MrsJooMrsJoo Posts: 2,196
    aaaaaaaaw I was so excited about your wedding after all the dress posts!

I cried reading it, so lovely!!!

congrats and all the best for you both!!!

xxx
  • Fantastic
  • I can't remember if I said, but in case I didn't, the pictures of you walking through London in all your wedding finery are superb, both classic and quirky at the same time. And I am another fan of your hair. Mine is similar in length and cut and I only hope it looks as good on my big day!

Congratulations to you and your husband.
  • belindaxxxbelindaxxx Posts: 2,277
    Aw loved the 2nd part even more than the first!

Hope youll be v happy together!

• MrsAdmiralMrsAdmiral Posts: 107
    Hey Classy, Been looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint, what a gorgeous cool london wedding. It looks like a perfect mix of individuality and classically stylish. Do tell us more!

After all your dress dilemnas were you happy with the final result (it certainly looks amazing!)? Did the crazy ladies at Grace & Lace look after you well! And how were the fab Emmy shoes? Anything you'd change or do differently, or was it all just perfect?
  • stkezstkez Posts: 2,247
    another cryer !!

wow, beautiful just beautiful...
  • blondiecocoukblondiecocouk Posts: 4,619
    aw it all sounds so lovely and ur pics are fab!congrats!!!xox
  • nataliedcrnataliedcr Posts: 1,760
    i really enjoyed reading your story classybird. your day sounds and looks like it was perfect. x
  • shunafroodshunafrood Posts: 252
    Quoted:
    Hey Classy, Been looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint, what a gorgeous cool london wedding. It looks like a perfect mix of individuality and classically stylish. Do tell us more!

After all your dress dilemnas were you happy with the final result (it certainly looks amazing!)? Did the crazy ladies at Grace & Lace look after you well! And how were the fab Emmy shoes? Anything you'd change or do differently, or was it all just perfect?

Hello Mrs Admiral,

Thanks for your kind words.

I nwas really happy with my dress, yes. It was very light and comfortable. I lost more weight (mainly through nerves) in the two weeks after my last fitting, prior to the wedding, so it was a little bit loose around the bust and waist area, but there wasn't anything I could have done about that. The Grace and Lace ladies were great, although they really are all completely crazy.

My emmy shoes were wonderful and very comfortable. Filthy though, I need to give them a good clean so that I canc arry on wearing them as party shoes.

I wouldn't change a thing about the wedding I don't think. I was very hot and thirsty during the formal photo's, and as at the time I wasn't so bothered about them we didn't do that many of them. I wish we had now, as there are a few photo's I wish we had but didn't get. (Me and my brother together for example).

I think I probably 'worked' a bit too hard during the reception. I really wanted to say hi to all our guests, and spent so much time worrying that I'd seen everyone and said 'thank you for coming', that I could have spent a bit more time just having fun. I did enjoy it all though having said that.

I also really wanted 'Crazy For You' by Madonna as the last dance (in a sort of school disco style as we're from that era). We couldn't have it though as not one of our 5 dj friends had it!

Everyone of them assumed someone else would have it. So that was disappointing, but not a biggie.

We had always siad that rather having a very formal structured day, we would let the day take it's own shape and that is exactly what happened. Our guests all said they enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and everyone got along brilliantly, even all the people who had never met.

Definitely wish we could do it again!!!!

cb xxx

• emmalouisetemmalouiset Posts: 1,291
    Am sobbing like a loon! Sounds the most gorgeous day and the photos are fab!! Hope ours is even half as romantic!

XXX Emmy