Beans on Toast - Our Wedding Report

MrsHobbesMrsHobbes Posts: 1,762
I'll warn you in advance that this is veeeery long and self indulgent! I'll try not to bore you all and keep you entertained with pics :\)

How we met

I met Nathan when we started university in 2003. We ended up sat at the same table in our induction lecture, along with an old friend of mine. Natalie and I had been in the same tutor group all through secondary school and had taken a gap year after sixth form. We'd both gone off to work for the year to save some money for uni and lost touch. We were both supposed to go to Exeter uni, me to do chemistry, Natalie to do biochemistry. I had been in a relationship with someone and had ended up deciding to stay in my home town, Plymouth, and go to uni there. (Daft I know now, but hey, I thought I was in love. Anyway, by the time uni started, I was no longer in said relationship.) So, waiting outside the lecture theatre, who should walk in but Natalie! I was grateful to see a friendly face, as so far everyone had been really silent and I wasn't in halls so I had no friends from there. So we were chatting away and Natalie, being the friendly gal she is, started chatting to Nath and that was that.

We spent a lot of time at Nath's halls, writing up our labs, eating ready brek, watching DVDs and having tickle fights (subtle huh?!) We worked together on field trips, sat together in lectures and generally enjoyed each other's company. After lectures one Friday, Nath invited me back to his for tea. I accepted. We got back and he made me beans on toast! But with the added bonus of cheese mixed into the beans. Heaven! We chatted for a bit and then I went home. The following week he said he was going home for the weekend soon and did I want to come back with him to -watch the football'? I had a think and decided, why not? Now, I think everyone around us could see we liked each other but we were being a bit backwards at coming forwards! On the next field trip, it was like being back at school - we were waking down a beach, doing sketches of pointless things, and Natalie was asking me if I thought Nath liked me, if I liked him etc. She then ran down to him and asked him the same! I felt 13 again hehe! So I think that gave us a little shove in the right direction, as we held hands on the bus home. Awwww! A few days later we went back to his parents for the weekend. That weekend we had our first kiss and from then on we were together.

[Modified by: Mrs Hobbes - now with added husband! on 25 February 2010 14:39:08 ]

• Ah so sweet! MORE PLEASE!
  • MrsHobbesMrsHobbes Posts: 1,762
    So three years of uni were mostly happy. We had a bit of a rough time in the third year and both of us honestly thought it was going to be over. But we worked at it and a few months of arguing later, we were ok. We graduated in 2006, but then faced a problem of where to live. Nath went back to Somerset with his parents, having already secured a job. I was still working my student job at Sainsbury's and trying to find a job up in Somerset. I felt really at home up there and the science job market in Plymouth wasn't the best. After a couple of months I finally found a job about 10 minutes down the road from where he lived (which was a minor miracle as they live in a village). I accepted the job, handed in my notice and moved in with Nath and his parents and brother whilst we saved to buy our own house.

http:// http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4387515800_6f8262e667_m.jpg

Fast forward a year and we bought our first house together. Just a 2 bed terrace, but it was ours.

Another 9 months or so on and we'd been together nearly 5 years. I was starting to think about the future and wanted to make sure we had a future together. I started to think about marriage and decided it was what I wanted and wanted to make sure it was something Nath might want too. Luckily he did! Reassured, I left the subject. The day after our 5th anniversary, we went on an outing to Slimbridge Wetlands Centre. It's my absolute favourite place, ducks, geese, swans and other waterfowl everywhere! Nath was quite twitchy all the way round and every time I stopped to get a decent picture he kept walking ahead, which was annoying me! I wanted to enjoy the day and he was acting like he couldn't wait to get back home! So we finally sat down on a bench next to a pond, under a tree and I was feeding the Nenes.

I turned around to say something and he was sat there grinning with his hand in his pocket. I asked him what he was smiling at and turned back to the geese. ???????Honey???????, he said. I turned round again and he was holding a ring.

OH MY GOD!!! ???????So, you wanna marry me then???????? He stuttered. ???????YES!??????? He put the ring on and we hugged and kissed. The geese had lost interest in me and wandered off since I wasn't feeding them, but then I'd lost interest in them at that moment! That evening we called my parents and grandparents and did the rounds with local friends and family. I ended up a bit drunk as everyone was plying me with champers! It seemed that Nath had been planning this for a while and had told his parents, brother and a few of our friends. Everyone was delighted for us and it was a wonderful evening.

[Modified by: Mrs Hobbes - now with added husband! on February 25, 2010 03:58 PM]

Setting the date

We decided to start planning fairly soonish, as we were both keen on starting a family and wanted to get married sooner rather than later. So, we worked out a rough cost. We couldn't afford to do it in summer 2009 and we didn't want to wait until summer 2010. In fact, I was actually fancying a winter wedding. I don't really like the heat too much. I prefer snuggling up in the winter, frost on the grass, roaring fires and filling food. Nath was happy to go for winter, so we decided on January 2010. Then began the venue hunt. I spent hours trawling the internet and found a few that we liked, but didn't love. One, Cameley Lodge, I found quite early on was perfect, but it had no costs listed so we assumed we couldn't afford it and carried on looking. Until Nath's mum asked if we had considered Cameley. So I emailed and asked for a brochure. When it came through, we couldn't believe how reasonable the prices were! An old country lodge with stone walls, open fireplaces and exposed beams and huge grounds with a gorgeous lake, it fitted our winter wedding perfectly. We made an appointment to go and see it in December 08, although I think we were both sold on it already. One of the owners, Paula, showed us around and was so friendly and helpful, she sealed the deal. We said we'd think about it and went home to -decide'. We loved it, and started thinking of dates. I don't know how, but we landed on Saturday, 30th January, 2010. It seemed like so far away!

I threw myself into wedding planning - I loved it! Dresses, decoration, jewellery, favours, it was all part of a careful decision making process. I did everything in a bit of a random order but we got there in the end. The first thing I bought was the bridesmaids dresses. We'd decided on royal blue and white for colours, so I'd been trawling the internet for dresses. I quite liked cocktail dresses with a sash around the waist. I was lucky in that both of my bridesmaids (my sister Laura and friends Amie) were the same size and had similar tastes. I fell in love with a royal blue cocktail length dress with a white sash. I sent them a pic and luckily they both loved it, so we got them measured and I ordered the dresses. Well that was easy! I liked the idea of white/ivory shoes but they weren't keen and wanted blue. I didn't think we'd find any but New Look was a godsend as it seemed to be their staple colour last year. I later bought them a lovely fur shawl each and some jewellery and a tiara.

I didn't really know much else about planning a wedding and this is where YAYW came in. I found a wealth of advice and read about favours. I liked the idea and was fairly sure I could do them not too expensively, as a lot of girls were saying that they get left on the tables. I thought chocolate would go down well and liked the idea of having a big chocolate heart and lots of smaller chocolate hearts. In the end I found big chocolate hearts wrapped in blue foil and small ivory chocolate dragees. I then found some little organza bags to put them all in. Favours sorted!

My bridesmaid Amie booked an appointment for Jan 31st for me to go dress shopping. One year to go! I wasn't too keen on going with anyone at first, as I'm not too confident with how I look and thought it would be awful if everything made me look crap. But since she had made the effort I went anyway, not expecting to find anything. I'd already met the owner of the dress shop at a wedding fair a week or so before and found out that she lived 3 doors down from us! When we got to the shop she told me to pick out anything I liked and wanted to try on and then she would pick a few for me that she felt would suit me. I tried a few on and they were nice but not quite right. She held up a dress that she had picked and I didn't really like it but tried it on anyway. Good job I did because I just felt amazing in it! It was corseted and for the first time, I had a waist! The A-line skirt hid my hips and thighs quite nicely. It was Phil Collins (hehehe) PC6967.

I loved it and Lucy said she would do it for £650 for me. I didn't really have a dress budget but that seemed reasonable to me. I told her I'd have to check with Nathan but that it should be fine. She took all my measurements and I said I'd call her later to let her know. Now, I don't think Nath had any idea what wedding dresses cost, because he was pretty shocked when I told him! He came around though and later I phoned Lucy to pay the deposit. My dress was due end of July/beginning of August. Yay!

Next, I started thinking about invitations. I never even checked out how much ready made invites were. I don't know why, but I started designing some and then Nath's Dad said he could get them printed where he works, so I just ended up doing my own. Turns out I saved us some money! After a few prototypes, I came up with a blue card outer that folded out to reveal the invite, directons, guest info and the RSVP card, all sealed with a ribbon. Nath's dad was a gem and hand cut all the card outers and got the inserts printed and cut. About 4 months before the wedding, we spent a weekend assembling them all and were very happy with them.

I am not really a flower person and I knew I didn't want loads at the wedding as I felt the money could be better spent elsewhere. I had heard about foam roses, which were more realistic than silk flowers. Back on the internet I went and found a florist who makes artificial wedding flowers. Her portfolio was gorgeous so I enquired about getting an ivory rose posy for me and two smaller posies for the girls. She was happy to do those and so I ordered my flowers from her. I asked for some diamantes in my roses and for the handles to be tied with blue ribbon.

I had bought some tall glass vases to use on the tables and also some loose artificial lilies and roses to do the centrepieces with. After a few bad designs, I filled the vase with clear gel beads and placed a rose posy in it. I was going to put the vase on a mirror plate with some tea lights around it. However, when we had a planning meeting with the venue they said that they didn't allow tea lights any more. Noooooo! It had taken me a while to find a centrepiece I was happy with. I didn't want the posy without the tea lights, as it would be dark early in January and I wanted some more light. So I went down a different track and decided to play to the winter aspect. I bought some silver twigs with battery powered fairy lights around them and then some extra plain silver twigs. I then built up a shower of twigs in the vase. It looked so wintery and magical with the lights on and I loved them. Nath liked them too so we decided to go with them. I spent a while worrying that people would think they were rubbish cos there were no flowers but hey, it was our wedding. I needn't have worried because I had a lot of compliments and people asking if they could take one home with them!

[Modified by: Mrs Hobbes - now with added husband! on February 25, 2010 04:12 PM]

Nath has two best friends who he's been friends with since they were toddlers. One of them, Dave, we'd lost touch with when he was going through a bad time but we're all back on track now and his wife has become my best friend. They have a daughter, Holly, who would be 16 months at the time of the wedding. Since Dave and Kirsty were our witnesses, we wanted to involve Holly too as we love her to bits. So I asked Dave and Kirsty if they would be ok with Holly being a little flowergirl. They were overjoyed! So we found a little ivory dress for Holly with a blue sash around the middle. When we tried it on her she loved it and was laughing and smiling and puffing it out. Bless her she stole the show, all blonde hair, blue eyes and smiles.

[Modified by: Mrs Hobbes - now with added husband! on February 25, 2010 04:16 PM]

• More More More I was just getting into it then x image
  • Loving you report - more please.

And love your posies - were they expensive if you don't mind me asking?
    So the year went on, the dress came in, the boys sorted their suits, shoes, jewellery and accessories had been bought, we booked a honeymoon to Cuba and we eventually found rings we liked. Time was flying by but we were organised. Or so we thought.

Fast forward to the week before the wedding and suddenly we had LOADS to do! We had to assemble the favours, make photo collages for the toilets, wrap all the attendants' presents, make orders of service, print the place cards, assemble the favours, make the table plan and table name cards, write a table quiz, sort a guest book, make confetti cones and decorate the cake. Aaaargh! So we set about printing, cutting, mounting and tying ribbon around things. I did away with the cones and just put the preserved rose petals I'd ordered straight into the basket. I also made a little basket for Holly with some petals in it. The quiz was written, presents were wrapped and photos from the stag and hen dos collaged. We couldn't find a guest book that we liked so we chose a pretty box and cut a hole in the lid. We got a pile of A5 cards and made a sign to ask people to sign the cards and pop them in the box. We also left a camera on the table for people to take pictures to go with the cards. We'd also bought some hand warmers but they were air activated so we had to ask our usher to unwrap them all at the venue. We bought the hand warmers to make sure people weren't too cold, even though we'd only be outside for a short time for some pictures. We wanted our guests to feel looked after and this was one of those small touches that always goes down well!

Hi MrsParfitt, no I don't mind! The posies were £53 in total - I think mine was £33 and the girls were £10 each. She does lots of different sizes too :\)

The cake was kindly bought for us by Nath's grandparents. It came fairly plain so we had to attach some blue ribbon and Nath's gran had made some icing roses and coated them in edible glitter. They looked amazing.

Nath's mum works with someone who makes cakes and she made us a topper which was brilliant. We had Nath in suit trousers and an Everton shirt!

So we were good to go. The day before the wedding, we took everything over to Cameley, who I think were a little surprised at how much we had. Ooops! We'd ordered some big lawn signs with ???????Leanne and Nathan's Wedding??????? from Vistaprint to tie to the lampposts before the turning for Cameley. We got a few strange looks doing that! We went home and my parents and sister arrived. We had some lunch and then Laura and I went into Bristol to get our nails done. By the time we got home, Nath's parents and brother were there and waiting on us so we could eat! So we ate and chatted and it got to about 8pm when I realised that I still needed to shower and wash my hair and so did Laura, so Nath and his parents started getting ready to go and I got emotional! We went into the spare room (my dress was in ours) and had some cuddles and lots of tears from me. I told him that his gifts were with his mum and he could open them tonight if he wanted. He said he'd left mine with my sister and I could open them tonight too. They left and it was just me and my family left. The house was quiet! I went and had a shower and it was just nice to be on my own for a bit.

After the shower I got my mum to dry my hair for me! It was like being a little girl again. Then I sat in our room on my own and opened the card from Nathan. ???????Sorry it's taken 6 years to get to this point! I know I don't always show it but I am really excited about our wedding day and can't wait to marry you. I'm so proud of you for organising this almost by yourself.??????? That set me off again! Then I opened the present and found a gorgeous white gold heart necklace. Love him. I'd bought Nath a pocket watch and put a photo of his Grampy in it. We lost his Grampy to cancer the day before we completed on our house and we gutted he wouldn't be ther on our wedding day. I knew Nath wanted to do something to remember him on the day but didn't know how, so I thought this would be perfect for him. On the label I wrote ???????so you're on time...??????? I also got him some groom socks with ???????so you don't get cold feet??????? on the label. I'd got him some Everton cufflinks labelled with ???????so you look smart???????. Then the finishing touch, I'd written to Everton and they'd sent back a letter of congratulations signed by David Moyes. I'd framed it and labelled it ???????for luck???????. When he opened them he loved them all! He text me to say thank you and that I had done so much for him and his present looked crap in comparison but I said it's the thought that counts and I loved the necklace. And what he'd written in my card meant more to me than presents.

[Modified by: Mrs Hobbes - now with added husband! on February 25, 2010 04:33 PM]

• Congratulations! Loving your report - looking fwd to the rest image
    So after my mum kept talking at me when I kept asking her to let me sit quiet for half an hour, I decided it was time for bed. I was getting married TOMORROW!!
  • You can't stop there!!! Can't wait for the next installment x
  • Really enjoying your report....looking forward to seeing you on the big day!!! x
  • Oops, double post, sorry. I get married in 9 days time....can't wait! x

[Modified by: NYproposal on February 25, 2010 10:30 PM]

• TheNemoTheNemo Posts: 929
    I'm so glad I found your report. You always commented so warmly on other girls threads that I had a feeling your wedding would be warm and personal and very beautiful. I can't wait for more. Bring it on. I'm at home in bed with a stinking cold so I'm counting on you for entertainment - lol xx
    I'm glad I found your report as I was looking forward to it. You have commented so warmly on other girls threads I had a feeling your wedding would be chock full of love, warmth and thought for others. So far so right. I can't wait to read more and as I'm stuffed full of a cold I am relying on you for entertainment lol, so bring it on xxx
    I'm glad I found your report as I was looking forward to it. You have commented so warmly on other girls threads I had a feeling your wedding would be chock full of love, warmth and thought for others. So far so right. I can't wait to read more and as I'm stuffed full of a cold I am relying on you for entertainment lol, so bring it on xxx
  • oooh it's all looking lovely! congratulations x
    Sorry girls, haven't written the next bit yet, will get cracking soon!

Oooooh NYproposal how exciting!! Do you have much left to do or are you soaking up the last minute excitement? x
  • Fab report so far!!!! Can't wait for the next bitimage xxx
  • Fab report so far!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read the rest image xxxx
  • Fab report so far!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read the rest image xxxx