What are you doing about your surnames?

What are you doing about your surnames? Are you taking his? Keeping yours? Double-barrelling? Mixing the two to make an entirely new name? Tell us your plans and your reasons below for a Y&YW magazine Q&A!

Thanks!

• 1SmartBride1SmartBride Posts: 1,579
    I'm taking his.....I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to that.
  • I've taken my husband's name. If my previous name was my maiden name I would have kept it for work/professional reasons as everyone knows me by that name, but as it was my ex-husband's name I didn't think that was appropriate!
  • My husband took my name. I didn't want to take his so he offered to take mine. He's not seen his dad since he was about 6 and I loathed the thought of taking the name of a man who abandoned his children and then passing that name onto my own children. I'm also studying for a PhD and it would be a lot of hassle as I've had work published in my name. I also just didn't see why as a woman I should have to take my husband's name. In this day and age, it should be a choice. To be honest, if my husband would have kicked up a fuss about me keeping my name, I would have had to sit down and have a think as to whether I would want to marry a man who saw me in that way, something that he owns. I saw no issue with us having different names, I didn't really consider him taking my name. I didn't suggest as his name is his own personal decision. It just so happens that he has no connection to his name, feels no attachment to it and it was important to him that we have the same name, so he said he would take mine.
  • NowMrsMackNowMrsMack Posts: 2,535
    I'll be taking my husband's surname! And I cannot wait! image
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    I'm taking his. I'm studying a PhD but unlikely to have anything published by then. I think it's exciting to change - to evolve and grow with the experiences of your life. I don't want to be a rigid entity an "am", I want to be shaped and moulded by what I do.

My forename is interesting. My surname isn't. His is interesting and unique and already double-barrelled, so that's a no-go. He did not feel I should take his name at all, and would have been prepared to take mine/consider taking mine. But I wanted his.

Mwahahahaa *steal*
  • I am keeping mine.

As a Spanish citizen I am unable to change my name for marriage unless I go through a painful process of paperwork and trips to the embassy,

In Spain NO ONE loses their maidan name, children have both their parents surnames.

If we ever have kids this will be the case too.

I didn't want to change my name as it means a lot to me.
  • I took my husband's surname.

He only used one part of his original double barrelled surname, we now both use both parts so it is like a new name for both of us.

My maiden name was v v v v boring.
  • MaylanMaylan Posts: 9,604
    For the moment I've kept mine, but when I get the chance to change it (with the passport and all), I'll go for double barrel: his-mine.
  • SarahMor84SarahMor84 Posts: 1,493
    What can I say, I am a traditional girl and took my husbands name. The table plan at the wedding and my name card had my new name on it so I did not waste much time. I am of course sad to of lost my old surname as I had it for 27 years and have a different name to my family and did like my surname but I feel that it is a new exciting chapter in our lives and my new name to me signifys that.
  • icklekidicklekid Posts: 732
    Quoted:
    I'll be taking my husband's surname! And I cannot wait!

Me too!
  • I never really wanted to give up my name and I don't like how his surname sounds with my forename so I'm double-barreling. Initially he was going to officially take the double-barrelled name too but his parents threatened to disown him if he did so now he's legally staying Mr H but will be Mr H-H socially. I'll be Mrs H-H and any kids will be H-H. At a later date, when they're gone, he'll deed-poll to H-H too.
  • I'm studying for a PhD as well, so I'm planning to keep my surname for academic stuff and use my H2B's surname for everything outside of science. It's a bit complicated but hey!
  • Quoted:
    I'm studying for a PhD as well, so I'm planning to keep my surname for academic stuff and use my H2B's surname for everything outside of science. It's a bit complicated but hey!

One of the academics in my department did that! She has to have an extra page in her passport to say that professionally she's known as Dr. XXX as the university will book tickets in her professional name! Apparently it can be a lot of hassle so be prepared for that image
  • What's in a name...i'll still be me whatever my surname is, so i'm more than happy to take my H2B's name. As long as we have the same name I wouldn't care what it was!!
  • Quoted:
    Quoted:
    I'm studying for a PhD as well, so I'm planning to keep my surname for academic stuff and use my H2B's surname for everything outside of science. It's a bit complicated but hey!

One of the academics in my department did that! She has to have an extra page in her passport to say that professionally she's known as Dr. XXX as the university will book tickets in her professional name! Apparently it can be a lot of hassle so be prepared for that

Oooh that's a good point! I totally hadn't thought of that... Thanks for the heads up! x
  • well, my surname and h2b's surname are the same so i'll just be changing from miss to mrs!! still not sure whether i have to still change anything officially though.
  • i'm taking his but its not going to help the teasing situation....

im going from Osborn (as in ozzy) to buckle ( as it belt!!!)
  • EMKETEMKET Posts: 133
    we are acually undecided at the moment. I am a traditionalist and the thought of not taking his name didnt cross my mind until he actually asked me how I would feel about him taking my name. This was for two reasons. First, his dad walked out when he was two and he has always hated having his dads surname and has thought about changing it to his mothers maiden name several times. Secondly, I am one of 4 girls and he said its quite sad I will no longer be 'one of the Stevens girls'.

I do think this is really sweet of him and I can understand why but part of me doesnt feel quite 'right'. The suggestion is quite new so I think I need to have some time to think and decide what to do x
  • MrsR4evaMrsR4eva Posts: 1,246
    I took my new husbands name and couldn't wait to get rid of my ex surname .. I got married young 1st time and always used to think my new name had a ring to it ... Now I realised there's more to life than just a name and I love my new surname even as I've found people already say how do you spell that .....
  • I was planning on keeping my own as my first name plus h2b's surname sounds like a very familiar brand of hairspray! Much hilarity and mocking from his family!

But he booked the honeymoon as "Mr and Mrs H" so now I have to have my passport changed or else I can't go!
  • RoofiesRoofies Posts: 280
    We're going to double-barrell. He's a Jones and whilst there's nothing wrong with it it's just a bit boring...

I like the idea that it sort of symbolises our two families coming together and us starting out as our own 'new' family.
  • Quoted:
    I took his, we hate all this double-barrelling nonsense and man taking woman's name etc. We wanted to do the traditional thing.

x

That's a little bit of a judgmental way to put it. Just because you like to do things the "traditional" way, doesn't mean that what other people choose to do is "nonsense".

For the record, in Scotland women generally traditionally kept their maiden name and men were known as "such and such's man" particularly if they weren't from the area and she was.
  • I can't wait to take H2Bs name.

I hate my surname as its reminds me of my father and his side of the family. My Mum and him got divorced a few years ago and I didnt see the point in changing back to my Mum's maiden name as I knew H2B and I would be getting married soon.

The sooner I can rid of this surname and take his the better!!!
  • I'm taking his name, for the simple reason that everyone spells mine wrong, and i'm sick of correcting people, even AFTER I've spelt it!! image

I'll be sad to lose mine though, because I liked the fact that mine was uncommon, and not so happy about having a "common" name image (and in our family, there's only going to be my brother left to carry on that name...)
  • I will be keeping my name in a professional sense- as a teacher I am used to be called Miss and if I became Mrs I'd feel really old. Also, the kids will still call me by my maiden number as any change is a bit too much for most of them. However, I will proudly take his name for everything else
  • MrsC2B4MrsC2B4 Posts: 143
    I shall be taking H2B's name and I can't wait (in fact I've already started!)

I changed my name years ago by deed poll to my step dads name so it feels only right that I take H2B's name and start our family together. Plus as someone else on here said I wouldn't want the same name and title as my mum image
  • Another one on a PhD route, and sticking with my name! mainly because I prefer mine to his
  • Quoted:
    We're going to double-barrell. He's a Jones and whilst there's nothing wrong with it it's just a bit boring... I like the idea that it sort of symbolises our two families coming together and us starting out as our own 'new' family.

Me too! My H2B is a Jones and I agree it's just a little bit boring, so I said I wanted to double barrel to Pearce-Jones and he decided he wanted to change his name to this also. It's a sign of a new family and is definitely interesting!
  • MrsGenn2BMrsGenn2B Posts: 240
    Im planning to take his surname but keep my maiden name as a middle name - I believe its fairly simple to do. I want us to have the same surname as I cant wait to be his wife and also so that when we have children we can be our own little family.
  • pminxypminxy Posts: 320
    I think its strange when a married couple have different surnames, I know a lot of people have strong opinions the other way . I am known in my industry but its not that hard to write nee then my maiden name on my emails till people her to know it.