Our perfect winter wonderland wedding day xxx

Hi lovely ladies. I've been so excited to write my wedding report, and I cannot believe that my big day has happened and that I'm starting this!! I've had some amazing advice and tips from you lovely ladies on here, so hope this can be a little help to some of you!

Ok, so in the beginning...

I'd been single for about 10 months after coming out of an 11 year relationship and was living on my own for the first time. I loved being a single girl and wasn't really looking for anything serious.. famous last words!

One Sunday afternoon my friends and I had a day around York planned, visiting the finest drinking establishments, and one friend brought along her baby brother. I walked into the pub and encountered a very funny conversation about clothes that masquerade as something they're not. The baby brother, who I discovered was actually called Dave, was wearing a Jumper/ shirt combo, which was actually a combined affair, and was, renamed a shumper. The whole conversation became so elaborate and silly and within 2 minutes of meeting baby brother Dave I thought. -You are ace; I want to be your friend'. I also thought.. -You're so cute, I wish you were older!' (Dave looked quite a lot younger than me.) A few hours later and all a bit tipsy we all became separated, and somehow I ended up on my own with Dave. We had two options, run after everyone, or finish our drinks! We stayed put and had the most hilarious day ever! Somehow at some point we ended up swapping tops and I wore the shumper around all of the Pubs in York. In one of the fine drinking establishments, the classy joint that is Yates' if my memory serves me rightly Dave got ID'd..(Something I was to get used to!!) I was delighted when I discovered that he was actually only 3 years younger than me! Some cheesy flirting lines later we were having our first kiss. We got the train back to Leeds, and as the poor mite had lost his sister I offered for him to stay at mine. We sat chatting all night and -chatted' some more..(I did say I was enjoying my new found single life!). We decided to swap numbers despite him saying so romantically -I'm not gonna walk you down the aisle or anything'.. Oh, how I loved bringing that up in my speech!!

That fateful day.. me in the shumper!!

• Jokaty82Jokaty82 Posts: 1,908
    Oh I am excited to read this....keep going xx
  • Fast forward a few months, and we were casually enjoying each other's company, but it was nothing too serious. Dave wasn't overly keen on the idea of having a girlfriend and rather enjoyed his lad's holidays. But we were having lots of fun and laughed a lot! I think I already knew back then how much I liked him, as we both travelled the A1 on a very regular basis to spend time together. (He lived in Darlington and I lived in Leeds- I could now do that journey with my eyes shut!!) We were sort of on and off for few months, but we were always in touch in some way or another. I always felt so alive when we were together and totally felt I could just be me.

Then something happened in September 2007 that would change my life forever. My dad was diagnosed with Leukaemia. I am a Teenage Cancer Nurse, so I unfortunately know all too well all about this illness, and was terrified about what lay ahead for my lovely lovely dad. When I left the hospital with my dad the day we found out the news, without even thinking, Dave was the first person I got in touch with. He had no idea what to say, (or what leukaemia really even was), but he was brilliant. During the months that led up to Christmas, Dad had his first two courses of Chemotherapy. It was a very very hard few months. It was very weird hearing my mum, dad and sister, talking about blood counts and chemo in a language I use on a day to day basis. Dad seemed to be doing quite well. He was managing ok with is chemo, but despite the chemo working he couldn't get rid of the Leukaemia completely. This meant within the next year he would need a Bone Marrow transplant. A donor was found and was a good match, so in June 2008 my lovely dad had his bone marrow transplant. Unfortunately there were no beds in Leeds so my dad had his Transplant in Birmingham. Not ideal as my mum didn't drive and also had to work as her's was the only wage they now had, so we all took turns driving down and going on the train. Every weekend my mum would stay down there all weekend with either me or my sister. Me and mum were there the weekend my dad had his Transplant.

This was the first proper time Dave met my Parents. We had properly got together around the Christmas time and he was my rock. He wiped my tears and held me up, made me smile, and when all else failed bought me wine! My mum and sister, Kirsty, had been in Birmingham for the first weekend and Dave offered for us to drive down from Leeds so I could see my dad, and so mum and Kirsty wouldn't need to get the train back. He bought me dad a little funny book, and I realised as I watched him in this totally alien environment to him, chatting to my shiny headed dad, and my mum, that I had fallen in love with him. This time proved to me that even in terrible times of adversity the sun can sometimes shine through.

Dads transplant worked and we discovered that for the first time in a year he was Leukaemia free. It was one of the happiest days I can remember.

Me and Dad on the first day he had been allowed out of his isolation room in 5 weeks. xx

• Dave and I had a lovely lovely summer. He taught in a college at the time so had six weeks off and we did all sorts of fun stuff! Ive got some great happy memories from Summer 2008.

At the races...

At V festival..

• icklekidicklekid Posts: 732
    Am actually in tears reading this what a horrible situation but such a lovely out come image Please keep writing!
  • We went on from there like most couples do, and moved in together in 2009, (in Darlington as at the time that was the easier option, although the commute to work was a killer!!) I adored our first little house together and I still miss it now!

2009 was a very happy year. Dad was reasonably well, although did suffer from side effects from the Transplant, him and mum went on holiday and although dad would never be the big strong man he was before Leukaemia he was doing great!

Our Year ended in a trip to New York. We spent New Year's even in a restaurant in Times Square, where we were allowed out at about 11.30 to join in the party on the street, with the poor buggers that had been standing in the snow and cold for 12 hours! It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I have to admit I might have been expecting a proposal... but it didn't happen, and to be honest when the ticker tape was flying all around us and the chimes welcomed 2010 i forgot all about my expectations and decided that any year that started like this was going to be an amazing one...

Bring on 2010!!!

• Well... i couldn't of got that more wrong!!

We arrived home from New York to a letter from our Landlord telling us we had to move out of our lovely first home together as he was moving back in. We were gutted and it was so out of the blue. The house hunt began.

I then started with a really bad back and ended up off work. I had a scan and they found a small fluid filled hole in my spinal cord called a syrinx, which may or may not require surgery. Cue a 12 week wait to see a Neurosurgeon whilst i was stuck on horribly strong pain killers which made me feel like a zombie!!

Then, on a routine hospital check up for my dad, they found some fluid around his heart, which explained why he had been so breathless for the last couple of weeks. He was admitted to hospital and a few days later had surgery to remove the fluid. It went well, and he was back on the ward that night. At three am the next morning the phone rang. I got that awful feeling you can only get when the phone rings at that time. Dad had become really unwell and had been taken into Intensive Care. He was struggling with his breathing so was being given some support. The drive to Leeds to my mum was hideous and we had to stop the car for me to be sick.

When we finally got to see dad he was fully ventilated, (on a machine doing all his breathing for him) and fully sedated. He was on lots of medicines for his blood pressure and we were told he had an infection and that we should expect the worse. I look back on this almost like it's a film I might have watched. I went into Nurse mode and sort of put the barrier up you need to when you're sitting listening to a family receive bad news. However dad made some small improvements over the next few days and seemed to be making small steps towards recovery. Dad was in Intensive care for nearly 9 weeks. We visited every day. His progress was up and down, but he was now awake. He still struggled to breathe unaided so was still ventilated.

Sadly we were told on the 9th week that my dad's Leukaemia had returned and there was little else they could do. He was in Kidney failure and most probably heart failure also. The heart breaking decision was made that we should let dad come off his machines and have some time with us.

My dad died on the 19th March 2010, with his lovely girls and my Dave by his side.
  • Sorry that was all so depressing, but its part of our story together and influenced our wedding quite a lot.. now on to the happy stuff!!!!

xx
  • I am literally already in tears! Keep writing keep writing!!
  • Aww hun *hugs* Im in tears as well!! I cant wait to read more though image xxxx
  • The good stuff..

Id maybe been expecting a proposal at Christmas that year.. or maybe New years eve. But they were both slightly emotional occasions, so in retrospect, it wouldnt of been right.

The start of 2011, saw good things. We had a little holiday booked at a beautiful place called The Tranquil Otter. A place with 8 log cabins that each have their own private hot tubs overlooking a lake,(lough).

We arrived to a perfect freezing winters evening, with some snow still on the ground. Now due to the lack of proposal up to this point i'd decided to stop thinking about it, and decided if he hadnt done it at christmas he never would!

We sat in the hot tub drinking pink Champagne in the dark, looking at the stars, and i was feeling a bit narked as Dave had put his white dressing gown on the wooden decking which was cold dirty and wet. He then was rummaging around and generally ruining this lovely romantic moment, so i sort of floated away from him before i clobbered him!

When i turned around, there he was with my beautiful ring and he asked me to marry him. I was so cool and collected..... no no sorry i really wasnt!! I squeeled and splased about and cried. And of course said yes. He hadnt asked me at Christmas as he didnt want any of our happy stuff to be anything to do with the sadness of 2010. Let the planning commence!!!!

The view from our hot tub..

• OMG The Tranquil Otter looks amazing!! we've been trying to find some log cabins, but non of them were that great, most of them are on caravan parks and very close together. This is perfect, I will defo be showing the H2B this place image
  • We had obviously talked about getting married and about how we love the Lake district, and how it felt like such a special and important place to us. We visited there a lot after dad died, and it felt like a bit of tranquility to us.

We both knew that we wanted a Christmas time wedding, as we both adore Christmas time. We both also love winter and snow and all the excitment that goes with that so we started the hunt for Decemember 2011, as near to Christmas day as we could get. We visited about 20 venues in all, you certainly arent spoilt for choice in the Lakes. We fell in love with one.. The merewood hotel and went to pay deposit and book, to discover they no longer had our date available. We were so sad.So the hunt began again..

The night we got engaged, (but before we actually got engaged..) we watched the programme 'the lakes' and 'The Inn on the Lake' hotel featured and showed a wedding there. (it was in fact a lovely bride on here!!). We must of forgotten about it in all the excitment, as i had looked at it online but the website does it no justice. We decided to give it a visit anyhow.. and as we drove up the lovely drive, that was all i needed to see....

• The morning of our big day.. i like to think the beautiful weather was my dad xx

• We met with Gary the Manager that day and i loved everything about the hotel. It didnt feel like a corporate hotel, (it is in fact part of a small family run chain), and i loved the relaxed feeling Gary created. The reception room for welcome drinks overlooked the amazing lake Ullswater, as did the room which would have our wedding breakfast. But the thing that really sealed the deal was the ramblers bar, which is in the hotel grounds, and is a smallish bar with a great dancefloor space that also has a little marquee attached, for those that dont want to party too hard!

• mya-moomya-moo Posts: 42
    Oh how beautiful! Can't wait to read on......
  • We wanted somewhere that would have a great party atmosphere, would be intimate, and would look gorgeous with loads of beautiful twinkly lights and candles.

We were sold and we booked our big day for 18th December 2011 xx
  • i'm sat in work trying not to cry image your dad sounded amazing xx
  • What a lovely proposal, just couldn't get a better view or perfect moment.
  • The church hunt..

Now im not overly religious. I do believe in something and always feel lovely when i go to church. We werent 100% positive we wanted a church wedding but when we booked the venue it suddenly seemed like such an enormous thing we were doing, and doing it in a function room didnt seem enough. (That isnt to say thats the case for everyone, just for us it felt that way. We viewed some beautiful ceremony rooms at other hotels). We searched the area, and found a church a few miles away, but the vicar there was unable to marry us on that day as she had plans. Back to the drawing board!

On a visit to the lakes a few weeks later we found a perfect little church just outside Pooley Bridge. Its nearly 1000 years old, and is the most pretty and perfect place. Its pretty much in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by fields, with mountains in the background. We met the Vicar David, who is one of the lovliest men ever, (occupational hazzard i guess!), and he was more than happy to marry us. We had to visit once a month for the 6 months before to be on the electoral role. Not such a hardship!! We visited regularly through the summer months camping on the shores of lake Ullswater. We even camped in a camping pod as late as Bonfire night!! We made soem very happy memories that summer!!

What made the church even more perfect is that it is called St Michaels. My dad was called Michael x

Our church...

• A sneaky peak of us, saying our vows...

• Mrs BoundsMrs Bounds Posts: 1,311
    more more more xxx
  • butler2bbutler2b Posts: 317
    awww i can't wait to read more you have me in tears already xx
  • JoeyClareJoeyClare Posts: 2,737
    So sorry about your dad. I love hearing about your Lake District wedding and venues (Cumbrian bride here!) and how fitting that the church was St Michaels.
  • Loving this report!!! I don't normally actually read the words, but I have of yours, and your story is so heart warming. You deserve so much happiness! image
  • Really loving your report.... it's so heartfelt and honest. Lovely style of writing too. Your wedding looks like it was perfect and in such a fabulous location. I'm sorry about your Dad, it must have been a terrible time for you. x
  • Oh so excited to see more. Just read your full report which I very rarely do but as you are my dress twin I had to. Now I am sat blubbing on the sofa. So sorry about your dad and so perfect that the church was St Michaels x
  • Aww thanks ladies.. loving writing it.

So.. we had pretty much already decided we wanted wintery wonderland type colours, midnight blues, slivers and bright whites. Despite everyone saying..'oh arent you having christmas colours?'. So glad we didnt listen as my bridesmaid looked striking and blue is a colour that suited everyone!

We had also decided that we wanted to do as much DIY as we could. Im reasonably crafty and my Husband is really arty and great with design.. (its his job really ish!).

Id never actually made anything like this so had no clue where to start but we sat one night surrounded by half a craft shop and made our save the dates. Considering it was a first attempt i was pretty proud of them. Little did i know i would be sticking those bl***dy snowflakes on everything that sat still long enough for the next 11 months!!

• I remember the start of last year being so exciting as i entered the world of weddings!! I discovered this webiste and have probably been on it more than facebook in the last 12 months!! Thats no mean feat!! I bought a wedding file and we put all our important stuff in there but i also bought a scrap book and just stuck stuff in it that i ripped out of magazines. I used loads of thoses ideas. I think i quite suprised myself because i didnt expect to become quite as caught up in it all as i did! I loved buying wedding magazines and feel a bit sad that i dont need to now. (Although maybe i do.. i'll explain later!!)

One of our first jobs was to find a photographer. I'd seen a few we both really liked the look of. Dave is a videographer/film maker/media person (my geek!) so this kind of thing is really important to him. But i also love photography so i really enjoyed looking at all the online albums! (i also got loads of ideas from other brides like this.. it was in fact how i found my lovely flower lady!)

We visited a wedding fayre at inn on the lake, and i was excited to meet the photographers there. But non really did it for us. One guy made us feel a bit uncomfortable and the others were a married couple, which just wasnt for us really, although they were very sweet. We wanted someone young with a fresh approach and clever ideas, but would also take the relaxed fun photos we wanted. We didnt really want many posed ones.

They we were recomended Greyeye photography. They are based just outside Leeds, (i hadnt even considered looking anywhere but the lakes!), and are a small company run by two guys about our age. When we met Andy we liked him straight away. He was exactly what we were looking for. His photos were stunning and captured the fun, love and laughter we hoped we would have on our day!

On the day he brought another photographer with him to be with the men in the morning. Dave loved the morning and said having Chris there, (the other guy), was just like having another mate there. We dont have our official pics yet, (we did get sent a few the next day!) but i am chomping at the bit to see them!

Andy came to me the morning of the wedding and after the initial first 5 mins of being aware we were having pics taken it was then just like having a friend there. We had a right laugh with him, and i think he may of even got slightly picked on by the bridesmaids!! (in a nice way!!)

He had a very calming effect and was a great help when it came to getting me in my dress!! He in the end fastened me up!!

A few pics of their lovely work that he sent us the next day. Hoping i can include more very soon!!! I could not recommend them enough!!

Chilling getting ready. My mum and one of my girls.

Erm girls.. im stuck...

phew im free... look at the panic on my sister face as she checks the hair!!

The not too shabby view as we got our make up done.

pretty dresses..

Very chilled, very happy. MIL fasteneing me in!! God knows what my mum or other bridesmaids were doing!!

A newly married man.. scoffing mince pies and drinking mulled wine.

• Bridesmaids..

Wasnt a difficult decission! My baby sister was my chief bridesmaid.. (she's not a baby, shes actualy 28 in a few weeks but in my head shes about 7!)

Us on my amazing hen weekend.. more of that later!!

Dave's sister was an obvious choice as id of never met Dave without her. She was trying for a baby when i asked her so that was a tiny worry.. The trying was succesfull and she is now nearly 29 weeks! She was 6 months at the wedding and the bridal shop were amazing! If your in a similar situation dont worry at all, just let your shop know and they should know what to do!

Us on hen do number two!!

Laura is my bestet friend.. and conveniently lives in Canada. We met at uni and we are so different yet so similar.

Us in Canada in October, about to go ziplining at 4000 feet! Looking very attractive!!

So one preggers bridesmaid and one 4000 miles away.. easy peasy!!
  • I thought long and hard about who i should walk down the aisle with. My mum didnt want to do it and i didnt really want her to. If i'd never had a dad in my life it would of been different, but i wanted mum to be the mother of the bride. To watch me walk down the aisle. Plus i knew we would get too upset.

There were two uncles i could of asked, but i sort of knew i wanted someone else anyway.

Ive known my bestest bestest friend Tom since we were 10 and he's like a brother to me, and my dad adored him so i decided i would ask him. I had this lovely speech planned about how important he was to me etc etc, but in reality i started blubbing as soon as i started the conversation. He was very touched i asked and he did me proud on the day.

Tom with my mum on the big day!