Rain on the Wedding day

Hi ladies,

I am getting married next year and no matter how much I try not to, I find myself stressing over the worry that it might absolutely pour it down on the day.

I was hoping that a few ladies who've had everything from small showers to full on storms could comment on if this took away from their day and how they overcame the obstacles (like having photos etc).

I know it's not the end of the world if it happens, but want to get some accounts. Thanks

• MrsLlew1MrsLlew1 Posts: 116
    Hi, after thinking about this I have realised that it has rained at 7 out of 8 weddings I have been to and on my wedding day and... it really didnt matter!

I guess that it depends on where your wedding is and what your plans are - we did look at a gorgeous venue but the ceremony was in a little gazebo and all the guests sat outside. I loved it but if it had rained,it would have been a nightmare and I didnt think it was worth stressing about. At a few of the weddings were it was raining after the ceremony, they waited and did the outside photos later on when the rain had stopped, other just did photos inside. The rain at our wedding was so heavy on the restaurant roof that no-one could here the best mans speech - everyone laughed about it though.

If there is anything that you are planning outside, I would just make sure you have a contingency plan - we only had drinks and photos outside which we did manage to do (dodging the showers) but there was space inside if we needed it. might also be worth getting some big golfing umbrellas if it might rain - out ushers met everyone outside the hotel, armed with umbrellas to shelter the ladies as they walked across the car park.

The weather is one thing that you have no control over, so try not to stress about it.
  • sally_laramiesally_laramie Posts: 223
    We're getting married in a circular glass building in a walled garden and the reception is in a semi-permanent marquee,so I'm worried rain will be loud on the ceremony room and the gardens will be so wet that we won't be able to cross between the venues without getting soaked, so it's good to hear that on your wedding the noise on the roof didn't running things. x
  • JP2BEJP2BE Posts: 262
    Hey, I saw an article on this website a while back and saved it. Here's what it said to manage weather:

Buy cream wellies and cute parasols

Stay optimistic- it's rare for rain all day

Delegate someone to check the weather forecast and then to liaise with venue staff to make sure you have other options for photos etc.

Bring as many flowers and plants inside as possible to capture the outside feel

If lawn games and other outdoor activities/decorations can't go ahead- just accept it

Talk to venue staff and ask how much our wedding will be effected if it rains

Scout alternative photo points in case it's misty/rainy and can't have them outside

Buy massive umbrellas to save everyone from the rain

Alternatively, if it's boiling, make sure all guests have enough shelter, and maybe provide little bottles of sun cream

Hope it helps image
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    99p stores and £1 lands have perfectly nice little umbrellas: I bought 10 royal blue ones for our wedding next week. image We are having photos outdoors whatever, but there is a nice, wide sandestone arch to stand under if it rains, and someone can stand with an umbrella over the photographer!
  • ezz100ezz100 Posts: 1,029 New bride
    It pelted down on my wedding day ...it could not have rained harder. However I was so excited that I just thought 'oh well'. Our photographer said it was better to have rain than strong sun. I bought 3 nice brollies and thought at least we would get to use them. I had a bouncey castle and surf board simulator which were a bit of a problem but we had the option of putting them indoors.

Suddenly as I was putting on my dress...it stopped. During the ceremony the weather completely changed and the sun shone. It made the day magical. Very rare does it rain ALL day...just stay hopeful and happy. At worse it gives guests something to talk about.
  • smophlewsmophlew Posts: 295
    I think rain can be quite atmospheric. Where I live it can be quite foggy and we are getting married on the cliffs in a fort. I went up there a few times in the last few months and there was fog which stayed for hours and you could only see a few metres infront of you - could not see the sea or the beach so photos would not be possible outside in this instance. I'm absolutely worried about this image. However, I think rain is manageable like others have suggested umbrellas are great for standby but also it is unusual to have a full day of non stop rain although it does happen. I have been to weddings where it has poured down and they still did photos outside - I actually preferred them to super sunny photos because they were so atmospheric and beautiful. I hope that you will not worry too much about the rain and I'm sure on the day you will not even notice the weather or you will just laugh about it.
  • MrsDMDaviesMrsDMDavies Posts: 1,794
    I was exactly like you! You can plan everything but you can't plan the weather... I've just replied to a similar thread on here so will re-post my reply here too:

We had forecast for rain but it held out until about 7.30pm so we were really lucky. Try not to worry about it, you'll be surprised by how little time you really need outside what with the ceremony and meal and evening reception etc. We really just needed dry weather for the 2 hours after the ceremony and apart from that we were inside. Your photographer will have an eye on the forecast and will grab you if there is a clear spell so you should get all the photos you want.

One tip I would give would be to buy nice brollies! It sounds crazy but we dashed out the day before the wedding and spent a fortune on posh ones but it put my mind at ease knowing that if it rained all day we would still get lovely pis. In fact when it did rain during our evening reception I got really excited and grabbed the brollies for an evening photoshoot in the rain, it gave a different perspective on our day and remember - it's meant to be lucky if it rains on your wedding day!!

I feel for you as this is something I really worried about. I actually cried when I checked the weather before going to bed the night before! Here's some pics to show you that you can get lovely pics in the rain - these are actually amongst my favourites from the whole day!

Have a wonderful wedding day!!!

xx
  • clairey12345clairey12345 Posts: 183
    Hi

I woke up on my wedding day at 5am to rain hammering on the hotel roof and it was June! Hubby and Best Man rushed out to get brollies but at 12 when I left the hotel it was glorious sunshine. When we got out of church it was dry but overcast which made for some great pictures without squinting guests and then it held off until we got to the reception venue. If you have a good photographer they are very flexible and will try and whisk you off when they see the slightest gap in the weather. We had rain all afternoon during the wedding breakfast but about 6pm it was lovely for an hour and the photographer took some early evening shots which looked great and the grass and gardens looked lovely and fresh and green. The only downside was due to the summer wetness I got bitten to death by midges but the bites only came out the day after thank goodness!!. Honestly don't worry, you will have a great time no matter what the weather! good luck x
  • rachelb3630rachelb3630 Posts: 21
    Hi,

I got married 3 weeks ago and was also quite stressed about the weather as the forecast had been for thunder and lightning!! It wasn't nearly as bad as predicted, however, I had bought a really nice brolly in the shape of a giant gerbera to match the flowers in my bouquet and bought loads of cute clear ones with white polka dots from the pound shop for the wedding party. As others have said above we did get a break in the weather in between showers for some outside shots. Actually it didn't detract at all from the day. We spent very little time outside anyway and thankfully our wedding venue was nice for internal shots.I know it's easy for me to say now but it's really not worth stressing about - you can't do anything about it and you will have an absolute ball anyway! Advice as above: nice brollies, scout out some places for inside shots if needed and keep your fingers crossed but don't worry about it! X
  • Mrs RobertsMrs Roberts Posts: 435
    Am I weird for thinking a bit of rain/dark skies is cool in wedding pictures? They stand out much more than plain blue skies.. and I wouldn't want it to be boiling either, don't want my guests to bake! I'm going to have some funky wellies and umbrella's on standby image x
  • LittleRed_10LittleRed_10 Posts: 1,453
    I will actually be dissapointed if I don't get to wear my wellies and brolly :P
  • cuizhaoekcuizhaoek Posts: 5
    everyone laughed about it though.