The wedding of a wedding planner!

Hello!

I've been a member of this forum for five years now (originally as alexpeploe123) and have taken so much inspiration from other lovely member's wedding reports so I thought I would create one of our 1st September wedding image

Myself (Alex) and my husband (eek!) met when I was sixteen and he was seventeen! We both worked in a place called East Street Market, in South East London. I worked in a shop selling leather jackets and coats and he worked on a market stall right outside.

I used to work weekends every winter in the shop with my mum, it was a family run business so it was like working with a big group of aunts and uncles! I started work this weekend after being off all summer and popped outside to see 'Uncle Law' on the stall outside - it was freezing cold and raining and i ran straight over to get under cover and bumped directly into a cute older guy! Let's just say my huge crush on him started there and then!

That day I was introduced to Scott about thirty times all by different people who knew us both, it'd be like 'Oh Alex have you met Scott, you two would really hit it off!' and I later found out how everybody was saying to Scott 'Have you met Alex? Get in there now mate she'll be snapped up by christmas!' HA!

So of course by the end of the weekend we had met each other a hundred times over! One of my 'jobs' was to go and get teas, coffees, sandwiches etc from the cafe for everyone so Scott and I got talking over the numerous cups of tea I delivered to him - i'd be asking everyone if they wanted a hot drink every ten minutes just for an excuse to talk to him! The joke is that Scott had never drunk so much tea in his life and I had never been so happy to get up on a Saturday morning!

As it got closer to christmas I began to despair of him ever asking me out - I figured he just wasn't interested, or that he had a girlfriend he hadn't mentioned. As it was he was just chronically shy and apparantly thought a girl as pretty and funny as myself (double HA!) would already be taken.

Christmas eve comes round and I make a big show of putting some mistletoe up at the front door of the shop - and spend the day getting pecked on the cheek by every other man I knew in the market! *embaressing!* Everybody was in the festive spirit so my manager went down the pub and bought a huge round of drinks. I got one for Scott and we toasted each other 'merry christmas' with a shandy (well we were underage!!!).

The stalls all started packing up and Scott had dissapeared so I figured he had gone home and was more than just a little bit dissapointed that my combo of tartan miniskirt, christmas earrings and mistletoe hadn't got me a kiss! A few minutes later Uncle Law's van pulled up outside, out jumped my uncle to come and wish everyone a merry christmas and Scott took the opportunity, whilst everybody was inside to call me outside for a kiss! I think a part of me actually died of happiness that day!

A few days later we were back at work (me in a different miniskirt!!) and Scott finally got up the courage to ask me for my number as it was nearly time for me to finish working the weekends and he wasn't sure when he would see me next. We arranged to meet up in the New Year and then spent the next few days texting each other constantly - I had butterflies everytime my phone beeped. It was around this point that I told my best friend that I was going to marry him!

On the 3rd January we went out on our first date - to Greenwich to see Pan's Labyrinth, walk through the park drinking milkshakes and to have dinner in an Italian restaurant. It was my first ever 'proper' date and I was so nervous - it took me hours to decide what to wear image

This is us when we first started dating image

Our first date was a movie, milkshakes, walking in the park and dinner in Greenwich. and we officially started dating the next day - the 4th January! (a very important date for us in the future!)

We became really close really quickly and had an amazing time together - we were never apart and were always on the phone/texting/ or in each other's company. In the end my mum made it a rule that I had to have two days a week away from him!

PS: sorry its soooo wordy! I promise there will be pics image

xxx

• After two amazing years together there was a huge disaster - Scott broke up with me! I was completely devastated. His reason was that he felt like we had moved too quickly, that he was worried that he was holding me back (I had chosen not to go to uni away from home so we wouldn't be apart) and that I loved him more than he loved me.

To help me feel better my friends insisted that I go away on holiday so I went away for a whole month - 2 weeks in Gran Canaria and 2 weeks in Cyprus.

I spent most of the holidays moping about wishing I was at home and that Scott would change his mind. I tried to forget about him by going out and dancing and enjoying myself but to be honest it just wasn't right without him. Thankfully when I returned Scott was practically breaking the door down to see me again and we got back together quite soon after that - seems that we needed time apart for him to realise how much he needed me!

Back together again *yay*

I was going to Uni locally (and hating every minute other than my break times with friends in the SU bar) and working part time, Scott had left university to work and we were practically living together.

At the end of another year Scott started acting really weird and (paranoid woman that i am) I was sure that he was having second thoughts about being with me again. I was looking for something in his (our!) room one day and found a reciept for a jewellers.I went down there a few days later just to have a look around and showed the shop assistant the reciept and she was way overhelpful and insisted on me taking the ring home saying 'you must be so excited to finally collect it congratulations!' aaaaah!

xxx

• That night (feeling really guilty for snooping!) I made Scott a romantic dinner and insisted we go for a walk along the london southbank. There is an area under the OXO tower where at night its all lit up with blue fairylights and it is so beautiful. We stopped there for a while.

We were just sitting chatting looking out over the river and the lights of the city when I asked Scott where he would propose to me. Silly boy said 'right here' so I pulled the ring out out my handbag and amidst a bit of swearing and grumbling about me being an insufferable know-it-all and nosy parker he got down on one knee (in a puddle) and asked me to make him the happiest man in the world!

Of course I said Yes!!!

xxx

• Mrs BoundsMrs Bounds Posts: 1,311

lol love that proposal story!! fantastic!!

• MrsPar13MrsPar13 Posts: 821
    Haha love the proposal
  • I moved in officially with Scott a couple of days later - I think at the time my mum and dad were probably of the opinion that it would be a silly idea to try and talk me out of the idea of getting married and being so serious so young so they let me go with no fuss which was surprising for me!

A few months later and we were planning a lovely winter wedding for 5th November.  had bought my gorgeous champagne Pronovias dress from Blackheath Bridal and we had booked Charlton House in Blackheath for our wedding.

*my original dress*

*charlton house*

I started to get shooting pains in my stomach and put it down for ages to stress from Uni and work.

It was only when I was walking to the bathroom late at night and the shooting pains got so bad that i was screaming and couldn't walk that I agreed to go to the hospital. A couple of hours later and i was on a hospital bed with an IV drip in one arm, waiting to hear back from the drs about my blood test results. My mum had come with us up to the hospital.

When the nurse finally came out and made a joke about there being a lot of 'sugar' in my blood we were all confused. She was laughing and saying 'you've eaten something sweet'. I was sitting there thinking, nope i havn't so I said to her that all I had eaten was some crisps not any sweets. She started laughing and saying 'You're positive!'. I think it dawned on all of us at once what she was trying to say. I was pregnant!

We were so shocked but so happy! I had been told after a motorbike accident when I was sixteen that I wouldn't be able to have kids naturally due to damage to my cervix and womb lining. I had also had lots of cysts and suffered with endometriosis so I had never expected to be able to have kids. We were absoloutly thrilled and were so excited. However there was one problem - I was due that January (2010) and that meant I would be nearly 8 months pregnant going up the aisle.

xxx

• oooooh more please!! xx

• I was so stressed and upset about the idea of walking down the aisle looking 'fat and lumpy' and so we decided to put back the wedding, planning to only put it back by six months. We went to see the venue and unfortunately they couldn't just change the date without us having to lose our deposit so we cancelled completely - we knew we would never have enough time to save up starting from scratch again in such a short amount of time and so we put the wedding off for the foreseeable future!

On January 4th 2010 exactly four years (to the day!) since we oficially began dating we welcomed our little girl into the world. Lily-Rose.

Our little girl growing up so quickly! The wedding fell to the back burner. I left university and started my own wedding and event coordination company www.postscriptevents.co.uk which gave me a great excuse to keep buying wedding magazines ha!

xxx ps: will post some more tonight! xx

• Oh my god how adorable is your little girl?!!!! Love this, looking forward to the next installment xxxxxxx
  • Thankyou! Lily is our pride and joy image

So like i was saying time just went on so fast and before we knew it we were celebrating her 1st birthday!

We decided to do a joint birthday and christening with a ceremony in our local church where my parents were married and where I was christened. It was when we were there that I started thinking about the wedding again - I wanted us to be married and I wanted to have the same name as the love of my life and as our little girl.

We started brainstorming ideas and sat writing out random words that reflected us as a couple, as individuals and as a family from things such as 'picnics, 1950s dresses, comic books, vintage, retro, grey, lemons, bbq, cookies' we got the basic idea of how we wanted our day to be. It was a completely different feel to how we had originally been planning our wedding the first time!

It was around this time that I saw an amazing bride in a 1950s style dress from Candy Anthony on a wedding blog. I fell in love with her style and started doubting the first dress that was still hanging in the spare room at my mum and dad's. On the same blog I entered a competition to win wedding photography from Matt and Brenda Foden. I didn't think that I would get it but I figured that as we would be planning our wedding on a tiny budget it was worth a try - can you believe that we actually won it?!

xxx

• One of the conditions of the prize was that we had to use it by the end of 2012. This was in May 2011 so we knew that we had roughly a year to save and plan and so we bouldered straight into the planning.

As a planner I wanted to work with people who had worked with before and whose work I love. So one of the first decisions I made (and I say I as Scott didn't have much to do with the planning tbh!) after the church was to have Shell of SomethingKindaCute (www.somethingkindacute.com) design our wedding stationary. She did an absoloutely amazing job at creating something really personal and exactly to the rather confusing brief I gave her!

The stationary was so important to me as i'm completely obsessed with paper stuff *seriously my collection of notebooks and paperchase goodies has to be seen to believe* and I love it when an invite lands on my doorstep! I had loads of ideas for what i wanted but am not skilled enough on the computer to create it myself and have seen way too many dodgy 'DIY' jobs to risk it myself.

This was our 'Save the Date'

It was a bookmark with a mixture of fonts and a personalised logo based on the idea that 'some things are better together' which is true for us image

The idea of some things being better together continued to our coordinating invites,rsvps and handdrawn maps:

We had a mix of fonts on the front of the invite with our logo and a mixture of things that go better together such as 'batman and robin', 'danny and sandy' 'fish and chips' and 'milk and cookies'.

We had decided on a colour scheme of cream, pale pink, grey and black with rustic elements so the invites worked perfectly with our scheme image

xxx

• At this point we chose our bridal party; we were finding it really hard to choose the people we wanted to be with us on the day - we both have a close group of friends, brothers and sisters and neices and nephews who we wanted involved in our day. In the end we just decided to have them all!

I chose:

My maid of honour Kelly (this is her on the left doing tequila shots on her own wedding day!). Kelly has been in my life since I was a few months old when she was my babysitter - as she says her Saturday job turned into a life sentence! I am her son's godmother and she and her husband are my daughter's godparents (and possibly her favouritest people in the world, second only to daddy!)

My two closest school friends (Lauren top and Anna below). I have known lauren since primary school and Anna since secondary school - these two have seen me through everything and they were amazing bridesmaids!

My 'sisters' - I have lived opposite these four girls since I was 2 years old (and only one of them was around back then!) They are my closest girls and have seen me through everything - from my first slumber party to being completely paraletically drunk New years eve when I was 13 because we snuck downstairs and stole a bottle of wine! Gulasiye, Gulseren and Gonul were bridesmaids and Zehra was a flowergirl.

My younger cousin Rhyanna (and shh! don't tell anyone but she's my favourite hahahahahahah!) was my final older bridesmaid image

aren't we all such beautys haha!

• Love your "better together" concept. So cute!
  • We then had Scott's two nieces Tayla and Holly and our own lil angel as flowergirls image

*me and my lil one*

The girls are all so different - completely different personalities, shapes, sizes, colouring etc so my original plan was to give them the colour scheme and let them choose their own dresses and accessories but THEN i fell in love with these puffy tulle prom dresses from Oliver Bonas/Vero Moda:

The dresses came in cream and black and were such a bargain. I had my bridesmaids go try them on and thankfully they all loved them! That was my mind made up and my gorgeous girls got these gorgeous dresses. I wanted my MOH to wear something different so she would stand out and found a gorgeous black fishtail dress in Very catalogue image It suited Kelly so well, was a really flattering dress for her!

xxx

• Ever since I saw a picture like this of flowergirls in tutus I wanted our flowergirls to wear them too:

So when I found gorgeous grey tutu skirts in next and a shop selling pretty pale pink wrap cardigans that was the flowergirls outfits sorted!

As I said before all of my bridesmaids have very different personalities. They all ended up with the same dress but I gave them a completely free reign to decide the rest of their outfit and hair etc...

I ended up with a real mix of styles on the day - from Gulseren in her spiky leather biker jacket (which sadly we didn't get a picture of!) to Lauren in her chunky black 'clubbing wedges' and kelly with her 60's bouffant hairstyle image I loved it and they all looked amazing!

Scott had his two brothers as his best men (they are older and twins! I will let you all judge who is Danny Devito and who is Arnold Swarzenegger!) and my brother, his best mates Jamie, Tom and Alfie as ushers and his cousin Joshua and nephew Bobby as pageboys. They all looked so smart in grey suits, white shirts, pink ties and black braces.

xxx

• So we had our church, our bridesmaids and groomsmen and their outfits but we were missing two of the main parts of any wedding: a reception venue and a wedding dress!

I went all over London with my bridesmaids Anna and Lauren looking for the perfect place. It had to be budget friendly, fit 120 people in, let us do our own food and drink and be a blank space for us to inject our personality and style onto! This was practically impossible and i am weird about things like horrible patterned carpets and wallpaper or dodgy chair colours (bridezilla alert lol) and so many venues were ruled out for what other people might think of as silly things! In the end we looked at over 50 venues and all of them were ruled out when one day I went for a coffee with my mum after church, downstairs in the converted church crypt. And we found our perfect venue - brick ceilings, plain white walls and wooden floors, right on budget and with outdoor space to boot - the only down side was the blue plastic chairs but i decided we would hire some in image

*one section of the venue*

Once this was decided we scrapped our plan to have a double decker London bus (as of course the reception was directly beneath the ceremony venue) and I searched high and low for a VW campervan on our budget. Unfortunately I couldn't find one and was gutted image However my dad is a chauffer and so I settled for borrowing a car off of a friend and having my dad drive me to the church image

So the next thing on my list was a wedding dress. And yes I know I have that stunning pronovias dress in the spare bedroom, and yes I am all too aware of the fact that it cost me nearly 2k but I just wasn't in love with it anymore and it no longer suited the feel of our day, not to mention the fact that it didnt fit. So i left it upstairs and concentrated on finding a 1950s style dress. I wanted something like this:

I had worked on a 1950s style photoshoot before and we had used dresses by Ian Stuart, Kitty and Dulcie and Look Darling. So when it came to choosing my own dress I made the five hour train journey to Liverpool to try on dresses at Look Darling with my mum and MOH.

I ended up with a really plain and simple dress called Layla by Fancy New York - it had an audrey hepburn style neckline to it and was belted round the waist.

I fell in love with it even though I hadn't even wanted to try it on as it was sleeveless!

xxx

• Wow! It seems like everything has happened exactly how it's meant to! More photos please! I love the idea of your dress!
  • Mrs BoundsMrs Bounds Posts: 1,311

loving your report so far can't wait to hear more! love the fact that you have everyone you wanted as bm- i wish i'd done that! x

• So by this point all of the bigger pieces of the wedding were planned and in place and we could start thinking about the details for our big day.

One of the things that I had my heart set on was an original 1950s jukebox. I was so excited when we booked it image We had it preprogrammed with music that I had meticulously planned from the 'cocktail hour' music of laid back 1940s and 1950s tunes right through to the late night 'clubbier' songs like Cascada.

We ended up getting a DJ too as we were worried last minute that the sound wouldn't carry all the way around the hall!

Another thing that we really wanted was a photobooth, we had seen one at my cousin's wedding and thought it was a brilliant idea so booked the same company.

This is how the booth looks on the outside and on the inside the background can be personalised - we went with the normal red curtained background and we had double prints which meant our guests got to take home their photos and we got another set stuck in a special guestbook wich they could sign. We had unlimited use for six hours and the photos doubled up as cool favours! I wish more people had used it though as it seemed like the same people went in over and over again and lots of our guests didn't go in there at al!

xxx

• I think thats enough about the planning so I'm going to start putting up pictures of the big day image

The day before the wedding myself and Scott went with my mum (at a ridiculously early time!) to Covent Garden Flower Market where we bought huge boxes of wildflowers, ranunculus, chrysanthemums, roses and sweetpeas and managed to fill the car despit only spending 60 pounds on flowers!

I had arranged for mine and the bridesmaids bouquets, the buttonholes and some birdcage centrepieces to be made by our florist: Gwenda at the Vintage Floral Design Company. I had also collected hundreds of glass jam jars, vases, vintage bowls, glass coca-cola bottles etc etc that I also wanted to fill with flowers so we did these ourselves.

After visiting the flower market and taking the flowers to parents myself and Lily met up with Lauren (one of my bridesmaids) for a huge cooked breakfast (i've seriously never seen my little girl eat so much in one sitting!) and then got the busy day underway.

My mum, cousin, maid of honour and aunt were all doing runs back and forwards in their cars from my mum and dad's house filling up the cars with all of the things that needed to be taken to the hall. At the hall myself, two of my bridesmaids, scott and the ushers were all unpacking the cars and taking the things down to the halls. It took the best part of the day (plus about 20 car trips) just to bring all of the alcohol there - we were doing our own free bar!

As the day got on we decorated the entire hall and were still there at 9pm putting all the finishing touches to the decor as well as arranging the flowers we had bought in the morning. The hall looked amazing and we could never have done it without everybody's help. I did have one bridezilla moment all day after a call from our chair hire company to say that they were very sorry but due to adverse weather conditions in the North of England where their warehouse was based they were unable to deliver the chairs and tableclothes we had hired! Cue a bit of a melt down upon which my mum pulled out a huge bag of white bed sheets that she had packed just in case (!) and we used these to cover the tables!

A sneak peek of the wildflowers image

xxx

• The day before the wedding had flown by so quickly. I had thought that I would get some time alone with Scott in the evening before heading off to my mum and dad's house for the night however we were at the hall so late that I had to say goodnight to him in the carpark with all our friends watching!

I got so emotional kissing him goodbye for the last time before the wedding - It had been so many years since I had ever spent a night apart from him so it was really emotional and stressful and I just wanted to go home.

However I opened the car to find my suitcase inside and two of my bridesmaids, Anna and Lauren had surprised me with a stunning apartment in Shad Thames for us to spend the night in and for me and Scott to spend the wedding night in! It was such a lovely surprise.

We stopped off at the apartment, hung our dresses up and then went to a local italian restaurant for a REALLY late night meal. The food was amazing and the restaurant owners gave us a free bottle of prosecco when they knew I was getting married in the morning which was lovely image

When we finally got back to the flat we sat down and drank a cup of tea, we were all giggly and nervous and laughing - it was so great to have their company.

xxx

• THE WEDDING DAY!

My lovely bridesmaids woke me up early on the morning of the wedding with a champagne breakfast *woohoo* and the rest of my bridesmaids started arriving a little while later along with my makeup artist Caneen (http://www.caneen.com/face-painting/), photographer friend Carla (www.carlathomasphoto.com) and our official photographer Brenda.

Getting my make up done image

Having my hair done!

My hair was a complete last minute thing! The hairdresser I had booked ended up in hospital the week of the wedding and couldn't make it *disaster* thankfully my maid of honour Kelly stepped in and got her hairdresser to come and do everybody's hair. I loved the finished look!

^^ The finished effect^^

This is Anna putting on my necklace. I had wanted to do the traditional thing of 'something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue' and so wore a pair of antique diamond studs, a cute pair of knickers with blue bows but completely forgot about the something borrowed until the wedding morning! Luckily one of my bridesmaid’s Anna stepped in and lent me her necklace so I ended up wearing a Star of David necklace for our Christian wedding which was quite funny – I had to keep it tucked into my dress!

xxx

My sparkly shoes were a complete bargain from the Kurt Gieger sale – I loved them but they were deadly uncomfortable for someone who hates heels like me so I ended up in my converse after the ceremony. The converse were part of my wedding present from Scott!

Rhyanna and Anna chatting whilst we were getting ready image

Scott's neice Holly was kept busy teaching me 'magic tricks' she was so cute!

The apartment got really hectic once we were in there - some of my bridesmaids had to get ready at their own house because there simply wasn't enough room. And, although I love our nieces to pieces I wish I had let the kids get ready at their own house too as they just ended up under everyone's feet - particularly as they didn't want to sit down and chill out!

My beautiful headpiece was from Glitzy Secrets and was my favourite buy! I keep getting it out of the box I am dying for another excuse to wear it.

xxx

• Before I go any further I just want to tell you the story of my dress disaster!

As I mentioned before I fell in love with a very plain and simple Audrey Hepburn style dress from Fancy New York at Look Darling.

I had ordered the dress made to measure in the January (the wedding was 1st September) and it took a LONG time to arrive. I was so excited when it finally turned up three weeks before the wedding. Unfortunately when i put it on the dress looked awful - it was full length on me and at least two sizes too big, the chest part was sewn in such a way that it made me look like Maddonna in THAT pointy bra in the 80's! I was absoloutely devestated - 3 weeks until the wedding and I had a dress I hated and couldn't even think about without crying!

My mum completely saved the day at this point, she went all over London trying to find a seamstress brave enough to take on the challenge of pretty much taking apart the entire dress and remaking it. It wasn't finished until the day before the wedding by which point my nerves were completely shot and I was having panic attacks!

To be honest I still wasn't happy with the dress on the day but was just relieved to have something to wear!

This was me starting to freak out just before we left for the church!

xxx

Holly all ready to go image

You may remember me mentioning that I had wanted a VW campervan (my dream car!) to take me to the church but that I couldn't find one in our budget. Well I exited the flat to find that my amazing cousin Adam had booked me one as a surprise! So we all squished in (a bit hard in big pouffy dresses!) and went off to the church. I was so excited I had proper butterflies and couldn't wait to kiss Scott!

xxx

Outside the church...

Inside the church. We didn't actually put those UK flags up - they were already there (we assumed they would be taken down before the wedding day!) but to be honest I actually think they added something to the decor image they were cute and gave the ceremony that kind of 'village fete' feel too image

xxx

*sorting out their buttonholes - the ushers*

*having a joke before the ceremony*

*my hubby and our daughter greeting guests*

*mother in law, one of our pageboys and Lily*

These are a few pre-ceremony shots image

*my nan waiting*

*my brother in law Bobby and his girlfriend Carly*

*my brother in law Grant and his girlfriend Rachel*

xxx

*my bouquet on the bookshelf*

*my bouquet*

*me just before getting dressed*

*on the phone* I love this pic!

Ps: sorry the order got a bit mixed up there!

*Nearly ready for the service*

*Scott and His best man - nearly ready!*

*Think the nerves were getting to him at this point - apparantly his brother grant was telling him how beautiful I looked!*

xxx

• This is fantastic, your bouquet is gorgeous!!! More please image xx

• Thanks fox-in-the-flowers image The flowers all looked so amazing I can't recommend Gwenda enough!

The Ceremony

As the campervan pulled up I could see the ushers making sure all our guests went inside. My bridesmaids were all lined up looking absoloutely gorgeous and my dad was ready to walk me down the aisle. As soon as I saw my little girl, Lily I started crying - she looked so pretty and kept saying 'mummy looks like a princess'

I think it was at this point that it hit me - I was about to marry the man of my dreams! My legs turned to jelly and if I hadn't been surrounded by a group of amazing girls who love and support me I would never have been able to get a move on! The older girls got the younger ones in line, Lily went down the front with the flowergirls and we were off!

We don’t really listen to classical music and to be honest the bridal march just grates on me so I chose ‘Clair de Lune’ by Debussey to walk down the aisle to – it’s such a lovely piece of music and I needed quite a long piece as I had a big bridal party who all had to walk down the aisle to it.

As soon as I got to the top of the aisle I hugged Scott really tight - I know you're not meant to kiss until after the ceremony but I couldn't resist and we got in trouble with the priest which made everyone laugh!

xxx