My Big Fat Fairytale Wedding!!

So ladies.. I'm married, now Mrs Clare Marks!

We had the most perfect, amazing, fairytale day.. everything was just perfect, not a single thing went wrong, everything went just amazingly!!

We are both so happy to be finally Mr & Mrs after 9 fantastic years together.

So as requested,, this is our wedding report!

• Excited to read this image followed your planning thread and loved all your ideas! From what we've seen already in the video it all looked lovely image x
  • Right my story is a bit long.. (9years & 2days long)

How we met and our first date!
    So it was 27th Dec 2003, I was at a friends house on face-pic! A bloke popped up and said “hello local girl” I thought he was pretty nice looking and without thinking gave him my number (OMG). We text and spoke on the phone over the next month and then I went to see him play a gig in a local pub at the end of January 2004. We never spoke the whole time, I sat with my friend and H2B was with his band, we kept smiling and waving at each other but we were both to nervous and shy to approach the other. Me being only 15 at the time hid at the back and had to leave at 9pm to get last train home. H2B was 24 years old. So forward another few weeks of texting and phoning he asked me out on a date on Valentines Day, I of which I moaned about my hatred of anything Valentines, but decided I really wanted to see and finally met him...

So the day of 14th Feb came, I hadn’t heard from him all day, I waited around for a while and then eventually gave up, he wasn’t interested so decided me and my gay friend would go and play in the arcades. We walked to my friends granddads to get some money, as I was standing in the street, guess who phones me, H2B asking where I was, so I explain what I was doing, he then replied “are you wearing a red and black top??” I was a bit freaked out and said yes. He told me to look up, and what are the chances H2B and my friend’s granddad lived in the same road! It was very last minute but my friend told me I had no choice and was not going to spend Valentines with a gay boy and I had to go out with him.

So we had our first date (14th Feb 2004), which was great.  We went to see ‘School of Rock’ and didn’t once stop talking or laughing. While watching the film, H2B took my hand and started to squeeze it in different patterns and I responded by repeating the pattern squeezing his hand back! (This we also did when holding hands saying our vows) Also my cousin turned up in the cinema with his girlfriend, so we kepted a low profile so he didn't see us lol

• Ooh!!  You're married!!!  How did that happen!?  Seems like 5 minutes ago I joined this site and saw your planning thread!!  Looking forward to hearing all about it image 

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058
    Clare_Jeffery wrote (see)

Me being only 15 at the time hid at the back and had to leave at 9pm to get last train home. H2B was 24 years old.

Your parents must have flipped! x

• The first few years

The first year of our relationship was very difficult! Lots of tension and issues with our friends. At first my friends were very happy that I had a 24 year old boyfriend and thought it was really cool. Then after a while my friends started to turn on me and H2B!

H2B had drifted apart from his band, and one of members of the band started to message my friends via face-pic telling them that H2B was a pedophile and sleeping with 13year olds girls, cheating on me etc. My friends then started to message him, text him saying the most horrible things calling him a ‘fat pedo’ and no longer were talking to me. This went on for a very long time and was so hard. We really liked each other and got to on well, we were happy. Of course over time people stopped listening to the rumors and started to leave us alone. There were a few of H2B’s friends that were so great during this tough time and we are still all brilliant friends with now. My friends started to talk to me again, pretending nothing had ever happened! During this time we had a fun times too, I had my 16th Birthday, which was a very very big deal. We had decided it was right to ‘wait’ before we became intimate as didn’t want to risk getting into trouble. Very very difficult and frustrating. But the 4 and a half months from first meeting to my birthday went pretty fast. I had a fantastic 16th birthday!

I guess now would be the time to mention that my parents didn’t know I had a boyfriend at this time, and that I was spending a lot of time at my friend’s Sarah’s house and my sister. My sister Helen, knew about H2B the whole time, and met him loads. She loved him and could see how happy he made me.  But I was just too scared to tell my parents I had a 24/25 year old boyfriend.

So our first anniversary was approaching! H2B had said he wanted to take me away for the night, and that I needed to wear warm clothes. On 14th Feb 2005 we went to Woburn Safari Park and stayed at the Woburn Inn. We we’re both so happy. But for the last year H2B kept getting pains in his stomach and wasn’t sure what it was. A week after our anniversary I got a phone call from H2B’s mobile phone, it was his mum (who I had not met yet or ever spoken too)!!!!  She explained H2B had been rushed to hospital and was asking for me. I ran to my sister’s house and her ex husband drove me to the hospital. H2B was going to be sent into emergency surgery as his appendix was about to burst. I stayed with him the whole time he was there and didn’t leave his side.

My mum had noticed I was upset and asked what was wrong when I went home that evening. I said a friend was ill in hospital. My mum is not silly and knew straight away he was my boyfriend.

My parents now knew. But I still hadn’t said how old he was. But my mum eventually found out, and didn’t care less.. all she said was she wished I’d have told her sooner just so she knew where I was!!! If only I knew it was going to be that easy.

My brothers and Dad at first were a bit funny towards H2B the whole “why can’t he get a girlfriend his own age” but soon they realised how happy I was, and they’d share the joy of taking the mickey out of me hehe!

Life in the world of Clare & Simon was great. I was studying performing arts at college, had made some awesome new friends (who are still all my bestest girls now) I was only working part time earning a bit of money to see me through college. H2B though at this time, was looking at buying a house. We had only been together a year and thought it was too soon to move in together and I wasn’t financially stable to contribute. So H2B brought his flat (where we live now) From the first night we stayed there

• ohhh just watched your video, what a beautiful wedding. looking forward to reading the rest x

• MrsK2014MrsK2014 Posts: 280

Can't wait for photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eeeek image

• Some oldies of us!!

This was taken about 4-5months after our first date, on one of Simon's band photoshoots

Our first holiday in 2006, to Disneyland Paris

Christmas 2007

My 18th birthday!

Weekend in Paris for our 5th anniversary

Night at the Baftas!

• Oh go on a snecky teaser from the wedding!!

Simon took this on his phone during the Wedding Breakfast!! haha!

• Relationship blooming and new Arrivals

For the whole of our relationship H2B had always gone on about getting cats. I was dead against this, I came from a pet free family. But he managed to find a picture of the four cutest kittens and changed my mind! We got our two cats called Duchess and Stitch and our house was turning into a home. We had our little family.

We had some brilliant holidays and birthdays together, my fancy dress 18th Birthday followed by 5nights at Disneyland Paris, camping with my family, boat trips with his friends. In December 2008 we went to New York with a friend and February 2009 Paris for the weekend to celebrate our 5th anniversary, I treated him to the show at the Moulin Rouge (more for me than him though lol)

For a long time, I knew H2B was ‘THE ONE’ but he always said he didn’t want to get married and thought it was a waste of money and it’s only a bit of paper blah blah blah, yet every birthday, Christmas, anniversary or any special occasion I would get my hopes up and hope he may just propose this time. It never happened. image

• Our Fur babies!!

When they were kittens! so cute

Now!!

Duchess aka Chubbs! or Duck

Stitch or Stick

• Type quicker Mrs Marksimage
  • Gabi_luGabi_lu Posts: 284

Yay excited to read this! Type faster! Congratulations xxx

• Congratulations!! image xx

• The Proposal

We finally got engaged on February 16th 2011 inside Cinderella's castle in Disney world!! AMAZING!, I cried like a baby! Could not have been more perfect. I did know he was going to propose, even though I shouldn't have!

We booked our holiday back in April 2010, and he had said as my anniversary present he would take me for dinner inside Cinderella's Castle I was mega excited. 

We went through a hard time June 2010 (he was suffering from IBS and anxiety, and for months, didn't leave the house, attend any family or friends parties, get together's, he used to spend every second playing computer games, to point he'd eat his dinner while playing and I would go to bed alone every night. It got to the point where I just didn't know what to do anymore, I loved him, but couldn't live my life like this, as people had started to comment that Simon never went out etc So one Thursday, (cowardly I know) I text him, saying I couldn't do it anymore.. he rushed home from work in tears, and we spoke, I then went to my sisters to clear my head, crying my eyes out non stop, while he was texting me.. I then eventually went home and got into bed and fell asleep due to being emotionally exhausted.. and he then got into bed and feel asleep with me.. when we woke up It was strange, we laid on our bed at opposite ends just talking, really calmly and both knew we didn't want to break up as we loved each other.. and then next day we went to the zoo to spend the day together. He had cancelled our Disney dinner reservation during this time.. as it looked it we weren't going!

While this was happening H2B's best friend, had told me in secret that he was planning to propose on our 7th anniversary (14th Feb) in Disney world. One of my reasons for being so down was that we had been together 6 and a half years and he had shown no signs of wanting to marry me! 

So fast forwarded to February 2011, I said “shall I book dinner in the castle”, he said yeah why not. I couldn't book the 14th, so said 16th was fine, at 7.40pm! It was all booked. I suddenly got an email for Disney, saying they had messed up the bookings and could they move the time. Which was fine! I was questioning it, as was worried they would cancel!

So the 16th came.. we had a brilliant day around the park, going on rides and eating mickey mouse ice creams! We went for dinner, had an amazing meal, then after our dinner the waitress cleared our plates.. she came over with a white plate with silver platter.. and said "special desert for the lady" I was thinking at this time, I haven't ordered dessert, and she lifted the lid and my ring was inside a glass slipper surrounded by rose petals. it was so fast, he quickly said "will you marry me" And I managed a yes through the tears. I popped my ring on very quickly.. and just grabbed him hugged and kissed him, and the whole time a Disney photographer had been taking photos!

After the whole event, we went outside, to a warm Florida evening and watched the fireworks! It was the most amazing night of my life.. I wish it could happen all over again.

Taken hours before he propsed!

<div align='center

• blimey Claire (I'll be honest I don't normally read the before bits!) I never realised how controversial your relationship started out or anything about the hard times. I know you've got forever to come yet but it really does seem like your wedding day was the happily ever after dream fairytale wedding after all that!

• LittleRed_10 wrote (see)

blimey Claire (I'll be honest I don't normally read the before bits!) I never realised how controversial your relationship started out or anything about the hard times. I know you've got forever to come yet but it really does seem like your wedding day was the happily ever after dream fairytale wedding after all that!

Yeah, alot of people don't know how hard the first year was... but I think it's one of the reasons we grew so close!

We got alot of stick and alot of hassle, but looking back it was worth it, as it made us stronger as a couple!

• More from the proposal!

and also a glass of bubbles each, in special glassed , which we had on our top table for the toasts/speeches

• MRS LILLERSMRS LILLERS Posts: 1,319

Im loving this story Clare. I had a boyfriend at 14 who was 21 and experienced the same as you. Kids can be cruel! Our relationship lasted 3 years but we are still friends to this day. Fair play to you both I say! xx

• ah how lovely, x
  • Raych54Raych54 Posts: 879
    Whoo, I'm looking forward to the rest of this, showed h2b the video yesterday and he has decided we need uplighters for the conservatory!

Congratulations to you both. X
  • Yay!!! So excited to read the rest of it! Congratulations and I love your sneaky peek! You both look so happy! Xx
  • Aw so sweet! cant wait to read more x

• MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204

So lovely to read your story, Clare - many congratulations on your marriage! x

• bellingtonbellington Posts: 1,662

Can't wait to read more. Love your kitty's. There's 10 years between my mum and late dad. Age isn't everything. Just look at the two of you now.

Been really looking forward to this report.

MORE, MORE, MORE  image

Jayne.x

• Congratulations! Just watched your video, its amazing and you looked stunning. I´m looking forward to reading more and seeing more pics image but want to wish you the lifetime of happiness together you deserve x

• At the weekend I read your planning thread from start to finishing. With my wedding book adding lots to the wish list. Cannot wait to read the rest of the report!
  • Thirdthing2Thirdthing2 Posts: 1,288

Looking forward to reading the whole thing!  Congratulations! x

• Thank you so much for all your kind words! we are both so happy and on cloud  at the moment.

Venue and Planning

So we were engaged! We left it a few weeks before  we sat down and  started discussing the wedding we wanted to have. We had very different ideas. H2B was very very against, big hotels with carpets and curtains. It sounds so stupid, but it was a nightmare. We searched the whole country for venues,Wales,England andScotland.. I loved the idea of a castle, but there were none around our area, I didn’t feel right asking all our guests to travel so far. So me and my mum went to visit two local venues,Offley Place and then Fanhams Hall which I 100% fell in love with and was so excited to show him, I first went with my mum and we both loved it. I then took H2B, well let’s say he was very much unimpressed, I don’t think he said one positive thing about the venue. So after this, I was a bit down beaten, and when we went to view Offley together I was in a mood, and completely wrote off Offley.

Time passed, more brochures arrived. The search continued. I agreed to go and view Offley again. At this time I was more open minded and could see what he saw. A lovely old 17th century county house in a quiet village, with no carpets!!! 27 acres of private land, and a really cool looking Tim Burton-esq dead tree!! The room where our ceremony and reception were going to hold was really open, lots of glass and old original brick work. We could see all of the grounds.  They were really flexible. So that was it, we had our venue. After numerous emails back and forth, getting everything in writing what we could and could not do, we paid our deposit and it was all very real.

I straight away phoned the registrar and was lucky that we were allowed to provisionally book our ceremony slot at 3pm! All the paper work came through and that was that, we would give notice March 2012.

A few photos Fanhams Hall!

A few of the other venues we viewed!
    Peckfordon Castle - Cheshire (sadly too far away)

Leeds Castle - Kent (again too far away)

Luton Hoo - Bedfordshire 2mins from my parents house (Simon didn't like the carpets)

We also, did think about going back to Disneyworld in Florida.. but sadly most of our close friends and family couldn't afford it.. and it was more important that we shared our special day with the people we love.

• So Offley Place it was!!