Our Happily Ever After Easter Sunday Wedding Report

• Double post and I can't delete it!  WTH?

Thank you MrsT2Be2013 & FutureMrsJC xxxxx

• Bubbles - They were there for 3 whole days so noone could have a blummin bath!  Luckily we have a separate shower!

Lucy - I'm only scratching the surface of her behaviour.  The woman is just plain nasty.  I have to be nice about her to MrMcG because she is his mum afterall, but Im rather pleased that she wants nothing to do with me or makes any attempt to speak to me - Bliss!  It now means I dont have to put up with her bullying image

• MrsA-2013MrsA-2013 Posts: 555

Loving this!

My mum and I are making all the bouquets and buttonholes before the wedding so any tips appreciated image I can't imagine what my tiny flat is going to look like full of flowers!

• STATIONERY

Due to budgets being tight we decided to design our own.  We had the luxury of attending 4 other weddings in the time we were engaged which helped with inspiration!  We took some ideas from other peoples designs (they all made their own)  and poached the best bits!  I was thrilled with the results!

I did keep seeing other peoples cute and quirky photo invites, but decided it wouldn’t be possible as we don’t really have any pics of us together as were both camera shy!

So we decided on a booklet style thing using scroll clipart cut and pasted into a sweeping design and olive green ribbon contrasting to the Pistachio green of the bridesmaids.  Finished off with a diamante brooch.

On the inside front cover I used the same ribbon as a "wrap"  to be used as a holder for the RSVP card and I used the same scroll work as the front cover.

Then the rest of the pages included details, times, hotel info directions etc and a map drawn up by my Uncle.

Then on the day I created handouts which included order of the day and menu which I used some silhouettes I edited for a whos who.

• MrsA-2013 wrote (see)

Loving this!

My mum and I are making all the bouquets and buttonholes before the wedding so any tips appreciated image I can't imagine what my tiny flat is going to look like full of flowers!

Mrs A - personally I would advise practice several times with your chosen flowers and test longevity of them in different conditions.  Such as how do they cope with being made up and stashed in the sink or are they ok just sprayed with water and wrapped in cello wrap that rigid cello wrap you get for wrapping hampers and flowers and stuff.  You can get rolls of it on e-bay)

I found that my gyp needed to be stored in water or it would dry up and go crispy really quickly but my freesias needed just a small amount of water and cool conditions to be able to survive.

As for sourcing flowers, I found this hard as most wholesalers won't entertain you but you could try triangle nursery - they were brilliant in advising what flowers were in season and you can order in advance as a private buyer.  Theyre used to one offs from people doing their own weddings.  They deliver too!

I also found some very useful tutorials on bouquet making on YouTube which was invaluable! 

Good luck! xx

• THE BOYS

I went to a wedding fayre which was possibly the longest and most painful day of my life, but I did come across Greenwoods 1860 menswear with a 50% off deal!

I knew MrMcG wanted a grey tail coat and they had this beautiful silk tails suit which was perfect.  So I called him whilst he was at work and asked him if he wanted to put a deposit down?  They were Meant to be  £129 each and with our suit bill cut in half it was an offer we couldn’t refuse!

The quality was lovely and the service was good.  A few bits came which didn't fit right but I think that it was more due to the boys not paying much attention and trying to escape shopping faster than necessary (as boys sometimes do)  The replacements were delivered very quickly and without fuss.  The only thing I would comment on was the time   required to return them after the day wasn't enough and we struggled.  And some of the rouches had different fasteners which confused the boys.  (thats what photographers are for!)

I dont have any *ahem* decent pics of the boys in their finery, but heres one of them enjoying the music

• *Freckles**Freckles* Posts: 147

I'm having gypsophellia too! For bouquets and center pieces -can't wait to see a pic of your/your bridesmaids bouquets. Did you have gypsophellia in the button holes, was it on it's own or with another flower? Looking for ideas image

I'm getting married in December and think the gypsophellia should look quite snow like in big bunches?

• Hi freckles, the ladies corsages had gyp only with some diamante picks to give them a touch of feminine sparkle and the boys had a freesia with buds and gyp. xx

but heres a pic somone took of me with my bouquet! The bms had much smaller versions x

• I DID A BOUDOIR!

Yea so I am a big girl with not much self esteem.  So I did what any other normal big girl would do.  I took my clothes off for the camera!

I found a groupon offer for GAP photography for a £20 photoshoot and took ‘The Wife’ to London for a night and took her to the Theatre and to see the sights whilst visiting the photographers at half time!

If I told you it was easy and a right laugh I would be lying!  It was a large room with "booths" and there was some bloke getting his professional portfolio pics taken at the same time!  AWKWARD!

I was terrified!  I was allowed to take 3 outfits but I only took 2 – a red burlesque corset, black tu-tu, fishnets and p0rn star heels.  I also took my veil and wedding shoes…  nothing else!

I wont show you a pic of the veil and shoes it’s a bit risqué!

But I gave MrMcG my pics on the morning of the wedding along with a pocket watch engraved with the GPS coordinates of the exact spot we were getting married.  I also tucked a ferrero rocher chocolate bunny in there!

• Back tracking... I just found these too ladies! 

My first attempt ata buttonhole with beargrass.

and my first attempt at gyp and freesia buttonhole

a

• MrsH2Al2013MrsH2Al2013 Posts: 237
    Wow!! I've loved reading your story.

Well done.

The girl did good image xx
  • MrsH2Al2013 wrote (see)
    Wow!! I've loved reading your story.

Well done.

The girl did good image xx

Cheers hun!  It makes you feel a little happier about all the faffing and hard work to hear stuff like this image  

• THE CAKE

So its no secret I make cakes as a part-time business.  Not making my own cake was not negotiable, it would cause me more stress to have someone else do it than it would be to do it myself!  I spent 18 month designing the bl00dy thing because I wanted a cake with different designs on each tier, but I also wanted designs which were easy to do but visually effective.  Tough, very tough.

Its so hard designing a cake for a cake maker!  For me it’s a big thing, for others it is often an afterthought.  I had friends and family joke with me about the magnificence of the expected cake!  Some saying it’s the cake the century had been waiting for.  No pressure then eh?

Every time I tried to approach MrMcG with the cake issue I just got silence.  I was getting so frustrated, so I started harassing everyone who came to the house for their opinion.  Eventually I came up with this bad boy, but I was smacked down with comments about not liking bits of it etc grrr

I did consider just having the ‘raw’ cake.  Several tiers of plain uniced victoria sponge, dressed with fresh cream and strawberries, but MrMcG was having none of it.  Nor was he interested in cheese.  Spoilsport!

I decided to have a base tier of fruit, followed by chocolae willed with ganache, carrot then 2 tiers of lemon!

My MOH then suggested the dreaded F word!  

No, not that one! image

Flowers!

I strongly dislike sugar flowers as they rarely look as good as the real thing, but she managed to convince me that stylised sugar flowers similar to the detail on my dress!  Now theres a thought!  So for the first time in 5 years I found myself faffing with sugar flowers.

• Loving the report so far, cant wait to read more xx

• Princess KPrincess K Posts: 200

This is amazing, loving reading your wedding report and so pleased you got a happy wedding! The things you made yourself e.g. shoes, flowers, invites were amazing- wish I was as talented!!

• cherrydropcherrydrop Posts: 904

I need to see this cake! image

• Love reading so far ... Can't wait for more. Congratulations. X

• SOMETHING OLD,

SOMETHING NEW,

SOMETHING BORROWED,

SOMETHING BLUE

& A SILVER SIXPENCE IN HER SHOE

As the rhyme goes.  SOme peeps are suckers for tradition and can't resist obeying the law!  Others are just sooo over all that and are waay to hipster to be bothered about all that voodoo garbage. (I know a few and I know they are going to have a giggle when they read this)

I however, am a traditional girl at heart and just wouldnt feel like I was doing it right if I didnt follow some traditions.

Sooo

Something old - My necklace is a 1940's diamante number I picked up at an antiques fair.  I blummin love it!  My friend is a designer silversmith and I had her take a look at it for me as it was a bit tarnished and sorry looking.  A few hours later and it was good as new!

Something new - My Veromia dress image

Something borrowed - I borrowed a diamante bracelet from my mum

Something Blue - there was a blue ribbon sewn into my dress

Silver sixpence? - I really couldnt be bothered putting this in my shoe.  I was so worn out by the time the wedding came I just had no get up and go to be doing that too!  I left my sixpence in my bedroom at home.  It was with me in spirit... image

• MrsA-2013MrsA-2013 Posts: 555

Your cake is gorgeous!!

Thank you for all of the helpful advice on the flowers image we have done a couple of practice runs already so we have a good idea of how to make them but I will bear in mind a test in the summer, to see how long they last image

• SP2013SP2013 Posts: 858

Wow this all looks amazing! xx

• MY DAD.

I lost my Dad to cancer 7 years ago.  He was the most amazing man I have ever known.  (MrMcG Im sorry, but you still have a little way to go to fill a Daddy's girls shoes but your'e pretty much my other hero in many other ways

• WTH?  it just cut off most of my last post!!

• Anyways...

MIL approched me one day and asked if I was planning on doing anything to remember all those we lost (meaning her father who passed away 28 years ago).  I explained that due to loosing my Dad, Grandad and Grandma in the same year and loosing my other grandad around the same time she lost her Dad I felt that the wedding would soon become a memorial service and would easily become a sombre affair, so remembering them with a reference in the speeches would suffice.

She didnt like this one bit.

So I decided to do it my way in secret.  MrMcG doesn't remember his Grandad and felt it would be wrong to go into too much detail too.

I bought an edwardian locket at an antiques fair and put a pic a pic of my Dad in it and attached it to my bouquet.  This way I could wear it afterwards as often as I pleased.  I didnt tell anyone about this as it was my personal secret as I didn't want anyone to be tearful about it as I wanted it to be a happy occasion.  But my Dad was now with me every step of the way and it felt comforting.

• Thank you ladies x

• Aww that's beautiful what you did with your locket image your dad will be very proud of you and it's nice that he was with you every step!

Keep it coming. I'm loving your happy ending. X
  • READINGS AND SPEECHES

During the ceremony my older half brother did a reading from Dr Seuss

Oh the places you'll go - Dr Seuss

"Congratulations! Today is your day.
    You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away!
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know.
    And YOU are the couple who’ll decide where to go.
    You’ll look up and down streets. Look ‘em over with care.
    About some you will say, “We don’t choose to go there.”
    With your heads full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
    you’re too smart to go down, any not-so-good street.
    And you may not find any you’ll want to go down.
    In that case, of course, you’ll head straight out of town.
    It’s opener there in the wide open air,
    Out there things can happen and frequently do
    to people as brainy and footsy as you.
    And when things start to happen, don’t worry. Don’t stew.
    Just go right along. You’ll start happening too.

You’ll be on your way up! You’ll be seeing great sights!
    You’ll join the high fliers who soar to great heights!
    You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have all the speed.
    You’ll pass the whole gang, and you’ll soon take the lead.
    Wherever you fly you’ll be best of the best.
    Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
    Except when you don’t. Because sometimes, you won’t.
    You’ll get mixed up of course, as you already know.
    You’ll get mixed up with so many strange birds as you go.
    So be sure when you step.
    Step with great care and great tact
    and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act.
    Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
    And never mix up your right foot with your left.
    And will you succeed?
    Yes! You will indeed!
    (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed!)
  • Then my daughter who's 8 did an excerpt from My Personal Penguin

Your Personal Penguin

By Sandra Boynton

I like you a lot.

You’re funny and kind.

So let me explain

What I have in mind.

I want to be your personal penguin.

I want to walk right by your side.