Mr and Mrs Beau - Our Gorgeous Summer Wedding

MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513

Well ladies its official, all done and dusted!! I am so happy to now be Mrs.B! It is a great feeling but also strange, I almost can't believe its all over! Seems like only yesterday that Mr.B proposed!

I thought i would do a mini report before we jet off on our honeymoon tomorrow, i only have mainly guest pics, so will put some better ones up at some point!

We had a largeish wedding of 110 day guests and another 50 in the evening. We picked a beautiful Georgian style country house hotel for our day, which meant that i could stay the night before, and a both us and our guests could stay the night of the wedding too. I dont like the old vintage cars at weddings, so it made sense to stay at the venue, and also it meant that the party didnt have to end when the music stopped at 12 as the residents bar stayed open as long as people were drinking.. we headed to bed at 2.30 am and the last guests went to bed at 5am!!! We also had brekkie with everyone the next morning which was fab, and lovely to chat about the day.

If i can give any advice to other brides to be, it would to be organised, even if people make fun or call you a bridezilla.. i was extremely organised and as a result, the week leading up to the wedding was lovely, and on the morning i was completely relaxed - several suppliers commented that they had never seen such a relaxed bride!

The weather was rubbish all morning - cloudy and raining hard and i have to be honest and say that i was dissapointed and even though i tried not to bang on about it, i felt like it was the only thing that might take the edge off the day... but as i was finishing having my hair and makeup done, the rain stopped and the sun started shining! It stayed that way all day and everyone loved being out on the lawns and terrace having their drinks and canapes after the ceremony.

Our registrar and her assistant were absolutely lovely and made the ceremony very special. The Groomsmen set up a video camera to capture the ceremony and we watched it back last night - totally fab idea image

I am rambling, and need to pack, so here are what we all really want on these reports, the pics!!

We are off on our dream honeymoon tomorrow, so will update with prof pics when we are back!! image

Best of luck to all the ladies who are getting married in the coming weeks!!!

I will also be posting a massive list of bits for sale when we are back image

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Congratulations!  You looked really beautiful; such a pretty dress and I love the dusky pink/ lilac flowers.  Hope you have an equally wonderful honeymoon x

• MrsBeau2BMrsBeau2B Posts: 1,513

Thank you Jodielou - still on cloud 9 i think! image

• DollyBDollyB Posts: 1,730 New bride

Aww MrsBeau you look absolutely beautiful! So glad your day went well! 

Have a wonderful honeymoon image xxx

• JJ2013JJ2013 Posts: 628

your flowers are beautiful!  glad you had such a wonderful day xx

A couple more just because image

• PoppinsPoppins Posts: 3,146

Congratulations! You looked beautiful! Your dress is stunning, love that pic with your veil in the air xx

• congratulations!!! You looked absolutely stunning!!! Can't wait to read your full report x

• Ahhh Mrs Beau, you look so beautiful! I'm so glad you had such a lovely day. Can't wait to hear more about it. Have an amazing honeymoon!

• LouBLouB Posts: 1,129 New bride

Congratulations! You look so beautiful! Love everything! Your hair looks gorgeous and the side tiara is lovely - can I ask where it's from?

Have a fab honeymoon! image

Thank you ladies

LouB - Its glitzy secrets heirloom of pearl, it looked gorgeous and was so comfy, i forgot i had it on! I might be selling it when i get back, so keep an eye for my for for sale thread if you are interested. I think it was about £50 new

• LouBLouB Posts: 1,129 New bride

Thanks! I've actually had that one saved in my favourites for a while from their website! I certainly will do - good to know it was comfy - I've tried a few on and they hurt like hell straight away!

• MrsJCMrsJC Posts: 2,204

Congratulations! You look amazing, and you both look so happy!

Enjoy your honeymoon - and I'm already looking forward to the full reportimage

• Congratulations Mrs!! you look stunning, such a beauitful dress

• Huge congratulations Mrs B!! 

You looked absolutely stunning, I love your dress and veil! So pleased for you that the weather held out for you! Enjoy your honeymoon, where are you off to? x

• cle110112cle110112 Posts: 298

Huge congratulations, veil is gorgeous cant wait to purchase it from you. Let us know when back and il do transfer ASAP.  I might mine interested in tiara too. 

Well we are back from our honeymoon - it was truly amazing image

Thank you for all the kind words ladies, i will do a proper report when we have all the pics back.. and will be making a start on our for sale list at some point!!

• bellingtonbellington Posts: 1,662

You look gorgeous, love your dress. Your flowers and the colours look so beautiful too. Congratulations to you both.     image

Thank you image we have all the pro pics now, so really should do a report!

Few more pics for you - i will pull my finger out and get it done!

• Your day looks lovely, who is your dress by, its beautiful!? xx  

Thank you very much MrsRe - Its from Blue By Enzoani and is called Dabra. Its a 2011 dress, but one of their bestsellers so yo can still order it from Enzoani stockists. Perfect balance for me between a pouffy big dress and being more fitted at the top. Really comfy too!

• Thanks Mrs Beau, Its actually on my shortlist, I didn't realise from the photos, its great to see it on a real bride and see that it looks just as good in photos as it does in the flesh! I have a second round of dress shopping in a few weeks and can't wait now. xx

Right, rather than start a new thread, i am going to use this one as our planning report!

I am going to write the kind of report i like to see - with lots of pics image.

Mr Beau and i met at work - not the most terribly exciting of stories but we have had our ups and downs over the last 8 years, but ultimately we knew there was something special between us.We bought our lovely home a few years ago, and the icing on the cake was when Mr.Beau planned a lovely surprise engagement.

Having been together so long, we were under pressure from other people to get engaged - we seemed to get asked on a weekly basis when it woudl happen! I know people only mean well, and wanted something nice for us, but it was a little annoying! We had a fab year of holidays in 2011, visiting Dubai and Rome, and each time we got back everyone would be waiting for the big announcement which didnt come. I wasnt all that worried, as we had discussed marriage and i knew it would happen at some point, but others seemed more interested than me!

Mr.Beau is not a flashy person when it comes to things like this, and he likes to do things a little differently to what people expect. So rather than some elaborate holiday to propose, he did it at home, on a random night after work, so i wouldnt suspect a thing - and it worked! When i came home and thought the lights looked funny (candles all over the house) i still didnt have a clue - it wasnt until i opened the door and found a note telling me that i was going on a treasure hunt, along with a long stemmed rose, that i knew something was up! Mr.beau had planted clues and gifts over the house which i followed until i found him in the kitchen (which was bare as he had just laid a new floor) surrounded by tealights and he went down on one kneeimage He presented me with my perfect engagement ring, with three centre diamonds, and three smaller diamonds on each shoulder - just gorgeous!!

As Mr. Beau had proposed the week before Christmas, it meant that we just chilled out for a few weeks and enjoyed being engaged. Christmas eve was spent our local pub with our friends and it was great to celebrate with them all!

Around Feb 2012 we decided to start properly thinking about planning. Now, Mr. Beau and I are in the very lovely position of having been invited to a ton of weddings, which we have had a great time attending, but did present us with a slight issue. We didn’t want to get married anywhere that we had been a guest at another wedding, so that discounted the vast majority of venues in our area! We also had a  few ‘must haves’ just to make it all the more complicated.. Our venue needed to be/have – facilities for a civil ceremony, capacity for 110-120 people at the ceremony and around 150 total in the evening, have great food and wine, have accommodation on site for bridal party the night before and guests the night of, have traditional features, grounds, friendly staff (The number of weddings we have attended that have grumpy staff at the venue!) and the ability to have the whole day in one place..

On our shortlist were –

Missenden Abbey - I quite liked some of the features, but parts were too conference centre – like for us, and the ceremony space was far to small.

Latimer House – We were really excited about Latimer, but were disappointed when we viewed it. The outside areas are stunning and the driveway up to the house was beautiful, but it was very dark inside and also more conference centre than stately home inside.

Burnham Beeches Hotel – Nice grounds and function areas were close together, but ultimately it just didn’t give us the right feel.

Taplow House Hotel – My favourite from the start! We visited it years previously for a party and I loved it then (We hadn’t been together long so when we were leaving the party and I told Mr.Beau that this was the sort of place I wanted to get married in, he went a bit green!). Taplow ticked all of our boxes and had the added benefit of a completely different area for the evening party, which we thought was really unique and fun, with a curved ceiling cellar dancefloor and two areas for people to sit and chat with a double sided bar in the middle. Two doorways lead out onto the grounds so people could go out and get some fresh air (or smoke!!). The ceremony and wedding breakfast rooms were gorgeous, and the suites fab. The only downside though, was that to cater for our numbers at the breakfast, our guests would need to be split across two rooms.. Despite the fact there were large double doors separating the rooms, it was a real no-no for Mr. Beau.

So we kept looking, but both admitted that nothing else really came close, so we decided to go with Taplow and start thinking about ways to make the two rooms scenario work for us!

Budget

We were in the very fortunate position of not having to really plan the budget before we started looking at venues. We knew our numbers before we started looking, and had a rough idea of the costs for each venue, but decided to find the venue we wanted and let the budget revolve around it. I know that larger budget weddings are often looked upon as a waste, but in our eyes, it’s the biggest day of our lives and we want to do it in style and also treat those people nearest and dearest to us to a fabulous day. As I said before, Mr Beau is not a flashy sort of person, so he did help to keep things grounded! We didn’t want to fritter money away, but we also wanted to include the things that were important to us.

Dress and accessories

Quite possibly the best bit of the planning for me! Although I spend my weekends and spare time mainly covered in horse hair and shoveling lots of the stuff they produce, I am a very girly girl and loved the idea of trying on lots of beautiful gowns. And try I did! Ballgowns, fishtail, A line, sheath, you name the style, I tried it! I loved the shape of some of the more fitted gowns, but they personally didn’t make me feel like a bride.. more like a very posh black tie style dress (On other ladies they of course look bridal, but just for me I wanted something bigger!) I found a gorgeous Demetrios dress which seemed to be the best of both worlds – fitted to below the hip with a tulle layered skirt, embroidery on the bodice and a zip back (I was not keen on lace up dresses) and a nice length train. By that point I had been to around 5 shops and tried at least 50 dresses on.. and this was the only one I really liked.

So I went for it, but as time wore on, I realised that in reality I just couldn’t see myself wearing it. It was crazy though, as it was gorgeous, but I found myself waking up at night thinking about it and worrying. So I came clean to my lovely mum who said that I needed to be happy. When the dress arrived in the shop I took it away and managed to sell it really quickly and for a good price. Not the full RRP but it certainly helped. I felt really guilty and self obsessed, but I cant tell you how happy my new dress made me feel on the day, so it was totally worth it!

While worrying about the dress I had bought, I came across some pics on another forum of a lady who had just bought a dress called Dabra from the Blue by Enzoani line.. I instantly loved it and called my local stockist. It was the only dress I tried on that day and I adored it! Order placed straight away and not a moments regret. Looking back, I think it was the embroidery on the Demetrios dress that made me go off it, and also the crystal part in the middle – I think they might have looked dated in a few years time. I know all dresses will date, but the detailing on the Dabra was so classic I think it will stand the test of time a little better. I received so many compliments on the day (I know all brides do!) and most were about the dress! I have toyed with the idea of selling her and have an advert out there, but she is staying put for now, unless someone lovely comes along that wants her!

I teamed my Dabra dress with a full length, 2 tier Joyce Jackson veil that had a plain edge and delicate scattered crystals around the edges, and it complimented the tulle on my dress perfectly.

Pics of other ladies in Dabra below - these pics made me change my mind!

• MrsG23MrsG23 Posts: 231

You looked absolutely gorgeous!! Cannot wait to see more pictures image xx

• Loving your report so far MrsBeau. image You definitely made the right choice with the dress; it's absolutely stunning.

Thank you ladies! Will update more asap! 

• Lou85Lou85 Posts: 1,807 New bride

Love this! Gorgeous dress as well.