Dry cleaners or washing machine?

I need to clean my dress and I have been reading up on a few people who have risked the washing machine and got really good results.

Has anyone else tried it? if so what kind of material dress did you have? xx

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

I only put dry clean clothes in the washer if I won't be gutted if they come out damaged!

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Personally, I wouldn't risk it- if the dress has any kind of beading or lace it's likely to snag/ come away, even if you pop it inside a duvet cover or something.

However, if the fabric is mainly taffeta (polyester, not silk) you might get away with it...

I have heard of people hand-washing their wedding dresses (with a small amount of detergent) in the bath, which I think is much less high-risk.  If you do go for this option I think it would be wise to just spot-clean the dress rather than completely submerge it: it's usually only the bottom of wedding dresses that get dirty anyway, and if there's a small mark or two anywhere else you could try to get rid of it by (cautiously) using baby wipes xx

• JodielouJodielou Posts: 4,058

Just to add, if you're thinking of selling the dress I think it's only fair to get it dry-cleaned properly, or else sell it as-is at a price that reflects that xx

• Spoke to my bridal shop about this and she said put it in the washer. Dont think iam brave enough as iam wearing mine twice. 

• Mrs CapeMrs Cape Posts: 133

hmmm I think I will have a go at the bottom in the bath and then see what it dries like.... if its ok I will do the whole lot in the washer. I am not selling my dress as I am a very sentimental person and just the thought of it makes me want to cry.... who knows maybe one day I will have granddaughters or great granddaughters.... Thanks everyone, I am still as nervous as ever but I am going to take a chance, Its plain heavy fabric so fingers crossed.