Name change

I'm now married but still have a few years left on my passport so am not planning on changing my name on there until it's up for renewal. Am I ok to change my name everywhere else e.g. bank, hmrc without changing my passport?

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

You don't need to change your passport, I got married 2 years ago and still haven't done mine yet as it doesn't run out until 2019. You need to make sure you change your driving licence though as you can get fined if you don't. 

Just bear in mind that if you book any flights you'll need to book them in your maiden name which is what I always do.

• KT80KT80 Posts: 110

I got married on Thursday & go on honeymoon next week - I didn't intend to change my name on anything until I return because I am nervous to have different ID to my passport.

Do you think I should send off for my driving license etc then & not wait til I am back?? And banks?

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

You don't have to change it  immediately and can change everything else as you plan to, BUT to change my name at the bank I need to show 2 proofs of ID which were my passport and driving licence, in addition to my marriage certificate, so not sure if you will have 2 forms of ID not including your passport? Just make sure you book any holidays in the name your passport is in. 

• lauren318lauren318 Posts: 482

Oh crap i best change my driving licence tomorrow i got married 3 weeks ago and didn't know that, x

No I wouldn't cos I'm not changing my passport! It only has 2 years left on it. You'd think the certificate & driving licence would be enough! 

• Jenni8 wrote (see post):

You don't have to change it  immediately and can change everything else as you plan to, BUT to change my name at the bank I need to show 2 proofs of ID which were my passport and driving licence, in addition to my marriage certificate, so not sure if you will have 2 forms of ID not including your passport? Just make sure you book any holidays in the name your passport is in. 

That is ridiculous! I work for a retail finance company and we only require marriage certificate to change someones name because that's as much proof as necessary that you got married! 

It's like asking for a deceased persons ID because the death certificate isn't enough 

• Emma681Emma681 Posts: 218 New bride

I changed my name on my bank accounts only showing our marriage certificate. I. Guess it depends on the bank but 2 photo IDs and the certificate is a bit much! 

i spoke to my bank today (Barclays) and they only need the marriage certificate.

Just don't know whether to change it before or after I come back from New York! Don't want to be half way through my week & my bank cards shut down!