Video still not arrived after over 6 months chasing

Hi all

Hoping for some advice on how to manage this.  I am getting very frustrated.  I booked a videographer for the wedding.  He contacted me a couple of days after our wedding asking for the 5 songs we wanted so that he could 'complete his editing process'.  We rushed our choice and sent it to him.  Heard nothing, but thought it was all in hand.  Then we received our photographs from our fabulous photographer who has been amazing, and a few weeks after that I decided to contact the videographer again.. approx 8 weeks after the wedding.

He told me that he would be able to provide an update 12 weeks after receiving the song choice.  So I left it with him.  The 12 week deadline came and went and a couple of weeks after that I called him.  He said that he had only promised to look at the video in that timeframe, but that he had a lot of other TV work and videos to get through.  As he is also some kind of wildlife photographer for the Beeb.  He promised that he doesnt just churn out any old video like other wedding videographers, but that the film will be amazing when we do get it. 

So...  20 November (we got married beginning of July....) I tried to call him but couldnt get through, so I emailed him asking if I could have the video by 6 December when I was returning to Ireland to see my mum who is in poor health.  I was hoping to show it to her on her birthday.  His response was: that I would receive my completed film in January and he would drop me an email then when the edit was ready.

It is now 27 January and I have heard nothing from him all month.  I am so upset about this, but since the guy has been paid in full, I can do nothing.  His contract is very vague and does not state the date we will receive the video.

Can anyone advise on how to deal with this?  I have sent an email today asking for an update, but I am so frustrated that I dont trust myself to call as I might tear strips off him at this stage.  That probably would not help the quality of video we get if he hasnt started it.  I don't want to come across as threatening him, but at the same time I have played nice for a long time now and I feel like I am getting nowhere.

Grateful for any advice / support especially if you have found yourself in a similar situation with a supplier you have placed trust in and they have not held up their side of the bargain.

• After 6 months I think you’re well within your rights to tear strips out of him! It’s totally unacceptable what he’s doing, I can imagine how upset you are over the whole thing.   

One of my work colleagues had the same issue and she is now taking her videographer to the small claims court over it. I would save all your email correspondence with him just in case it does have to come to this. 

You could perhaps ask him just for the raw files and then ask someone else to edit it? I know that’s not what you’ve paid for but it saves you worrying he will sabotage it.

Does he have a Facebook page? You could maybe reach out to other couples and see if he was the same with theirs too x

• snoop2snoop2 Posts: 10
    Williams2James wrote (see post):

After 6 months I think you’re well within your rights to tear strips out of him! It’s totally unacceptable what he’s doing, I can imagine how upset you are over the whole thing.   

One of my work colleagues had the same issue and she is now taking her videographer to the small claims court over it. I would save all your email correspondence with him just in case it does have to come to this. 

You could perhaps ask him just for the raw files and then ask someone else to edit it? I know that’s not what you’ve paid for but it saves you worrying he will sabotage it.

Does he have a Facebook page? You could maybe reach out to other couples and see if he was the same with theirs too x

thanks so much for the advice.  I am sorry to hear about your friend and I do hope it is not the same guy!

I'd love to tear a strip off him, but I am trying to remain calm.  My husband has asked that for now I give him a chance, so I have sent one final polite but firm email requesting a status update.  This is just to respect the hubby's wishes.  however, if this goes on much longer I may have no choice but the let the b*tch out and let rip!

I do not wish to resort to social media tactics either, I have looked at his facebook page but cannot see any visitor posts there - only his own of some lovely wedding videos - so maybe he vets the comments.

I prefer not to go down the route of insurance or courts, as i would prefer to get what I paid for rather than my money back, but I guess that it is always an option.  I may call the insurance company to see how long I would have to make a claim.

In november, he offered us the raw footage for £150 extra.  I paid for that and received it, but it jumps around from various events during the day - from a speech to a dance to the ceremony, etc - and I guess I could take him to court and get someone else to edit - that's not a bad idea.

I will keep you posted. I'm giving him a week or two then I will decide what the best action is. My hubby may not agree... xx

• snoop2 wrote (see post):
    Williams2James wrote (see post):

After 6 months I think you’re well within your rights to tear strips out of him! It’s totally unacceptable what he’s doing, I can imagine how upset you are over the whole thing.   

thanks so much for the advice.  I am sorry to hear about your friend and I do hope it is not the same guy!

I'd love to tear a strip off him, but I am trying to remain calm.  My husband has asked that for now I give him a chance, so I have sent one final polite but firm email requesting a status update.  This is just to respect the hubby's wishes.  however, if this goes on much longer I may have no choice but the let the b*tch out and let rip!

I do not wish to resort to social media tactics either, I have looked at his facebook page but cannot see any visitor posts there - only his own of some lovely wedding videos - so maybe he vets the comments.

I prefer not to go down the route of insurance or courts, as i would prefer to get what I paid for rather than my money back, but I guess that it is always an option.  I may call the insurance company to see how long I would have to make a claim.

In november, he offered us the raw footage for £150 extra.  I paid for that and received it, but it jumps around from various events during the day - from a speech to a dance to the ceremony, etc - and I guess I could take him to court and get someone else to edit - that's not a bad idea.

I will keep you posted. I'm giving him a week or two then I will decide what the best action is. My hubby may not agree... xx

I hope you manage to get it sorted! I don’t know how he could have the nerve to take your money and then not deliver. Even if he has struggled to find the time for whatever reason, it is so unprofessional x

• JdotJJdotJ Posts: 196 New bride

As someone who has gone through the courts, won, still didn't receive compensation, and had to resort to going on "Can't pay we'll take it away" (and won!!!) I would strongly suggest keeping it professional and not sinking to his level in any way. I'd also recommend not putting anything negative on your social media, even if your page is private as if you have anything considered as slander against him and for whatever reason is not justified, it will be used against you. 

My advice is to give him a time limit before taking this to the next stage, send him a polite, but firm email stating that you feel you've been very patient throughout, but 6 months is not an acceptable time frame in which to receive your video. As he has been paid in full you'd appreciate your video being sent by xxx date, if not you will be forced to take this further as you have paid for a service yet have nothing in return. Obviously put it in a nicer way, i'm very blunt usually so that's me trying to be polite haha. 

If you have not received anything by the date you have stated (and give him a reasonable about of time, a couple of weeks maybe?) then send him another email saying unfortunately you have been left with no choice but to take this further and this will now be dealt with via small claims or whichever way you choose to take it. You might find a solicitors letter is the first step if you have his home address as that usually scares people into sorting things out. Small claims etc... is stressful so if there's any way to sort it without having to go through the courts then i'd recommend you do. 

If you want to ask me anything else just let me know, 

Jx

JdotJ wrote (see post):

As someone who has gone through the courts, won, still didn't receive compensation, and had to resort to going on "Can't pay we'll take it away" (and won!!!) I would strongly suggest keeping it professional and not sinking to his level in any way. I'd also recommend not putting anything negative on your social media, even if your page is private as if you have anything considered as slander against him and for whatever reason is not justified, it will be used against you. 

My advice is to give him a time limit before taking this to the next stage, send him a polite, but firm email stating that you feel you've been very patient throughout, but 6 months is not an acceptable time frame in which to receive your video. As he has been paid in full you'd appreciate your video being sent by xxx date, if not you will be forced to take this further as you have paid for a service yet have nothing in return. Obviously put it in a nicer way, i'm very blunt usually so that's me trying to be polite haha. 

If you have not received anything by the date you have stated (and give him a reasonable about of time, a couple of weeks maybe?) then send him another email saying unfortunately you have been left with no choice but to take this further and this will now be dealt with via small claims or whichever way you choose to take it. You might find a solicitors letter is the first step if you have his home address as that usually scares people into sorting things out. Small claims etc... is stressful so if there's any way to sort it without having to go through the courts then i'd recommend you do. 

If you want to ask me anything else just let me know, 

Jx

Hi J

Great advice - thank you.  No I won't put anything on Social Media.  I may call the insurance company just in case and let them know what is going on.  I think they will likely advise the same as you.  I will wait until 1 Feb as his last communication in November was that the video would be sent in January.  I have to give him until then.  After 1 February he will get an email with a 2 week time-frame to deliver.  And then we'll take it from there.

Unfortunately I am just as blunt as you are (I thought what you said was polite too :)).  I have had to take someone through the small claims before.  they aren't obliged to pay up, but at least you don't have to pay solicitor's fees if you win.  My experience was positive in the end, but it was a totally different situation (dry cleaners lost designer dress worn once and refused to reimburse cost - they had to pay for dress & the court fees in the end).

many thanks I will let you know how it goes... shame it has had to come to this. x

Update. 

He got back to me on Tuesday to say he was on schedule for end of week. Never mind that that is outside of his jan deadline. 

i followed up again today to make sure he is on track and he said still on track for Sunday. I believe that’s the start of next week but hey ho! 

Xx

Beth78 wrote (see post):

Fingers crossed he’ll deliver fantastic photos, let us know ❤️ Xx

Hi Beth, its my wedding film he is delivering.  My photographer was amazing (and fast!!)

Still nothing, so his January, end of week & Sunday deadlines have all been missed now.  Those were the commitments I actually managed to get in writing.  Verbally he had previously told me 12 weeks.  He also said that I would be able to request edits of the draft film he would send, and that he would have the full songs from my harpist which were played on the day.  I don't know what I am going to get now.

So disheartening and frustrating.  Add to that unwell elderly parents who keep asking to see the film.

I'm going to ask my husband to call him as he is not answering my calls.

xo

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

There is another thread on here about a videographer that hasn't supplied numerous brides with their videos. Is it the same supplier? Might be worth having a look at the other thread. 

bella2015 wrote (see post):

There is another thread on here about a videographer that hasn't supplied numerous brides with their videos. Is it the same supplier? Might be worth having a look at the other thread. 

Thanks Bella - i will take a look for that other thread.

I think I may have to take action too :(.

Hi Bella2015 - I dont think it is the same videographer, unless I am mistaken with the thread you were referring to.  My videographer is male, and the thread that I found referred to a female?

I have contacted the insurance company and they will send me a claim form. I sent him the following in an email earlier this evening:

"Please can you provide us with our wedding video before Thursday 8 February as we are way past the bounds of professional wedding video deadlines and 8/2/18 will be 1 week after your commitment to us to have the video in January. 

It is now 7 months since our wedding day and I regret to inform you that both of us feel very let down by <video company name>.  We believe that we have been more than patient up to now, and have done our best to wait for you to catch up with your workload.  However, it is both unprofessional and unacceptable to be required to wait this long for our video.

Regrettably, I have resorted to taking legal advice today in respect of the non-receipt of our film and have also passed your details to our insurance company who may be in touch if I decide to make a claim. I am providing you with some time to put this matter to rest, hence the deadline of 8/2/18."
  • Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

Great letter!! Fingers crossed for you.

thanks - I got an email to say it was in the post and that it was a proof video that i could review and request changes to.  He also said that he was surprised to hear that Hubby and I were disappointed!!

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

Hate to say it but 'it's still in the post'... so he's got the threat of legal action and panicked! Said he's sending a proof - why has it taken that long?

Videographers charge so much.... You would expect a speedier and more professional service.

• Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 578 New bride

I was dubious by him saying it’s still in the post! Loads of people now do it online by posting to somewhere like Vimeo - you would then check it and they would edit and proviide Final version. I guess not everyone does that though. 

I hope it gets sorted soon for you x

• snoop2 wrote (see post):

thanks - I got an email to say it was in the post and that it was a proof video that i could review and request changes to.  He also said that he was surprised to hear that Hubby and I were disappointed!!

Oh good luck! I do hope he's telling the truth and it is in the post, but like others have said, it seems odd that he would send out a proof in the post. God knows what planet he's on if he's surprised you're both disappointed???! x