Will the registrar allow Stevie Wonder's 'Isn't she lovely'?

clareoliverclareoliver Posts: 178
So what do you reckon, I really want a little Stevie Wonder medley for the signing of the register beginning with 'Signed Sealed Delivered' of course but then going into 'Isn't she lovely' and 'Sunshine of my life'. Now, I listened to the lyrics of sunshine and signed and they contain no religious elements but Isn't she lovely contains the word heaven sent and what God has done!!!! I wonder if the registrar will know this and therefore will not allow it or whether we could get away with it!!!! Any ideas?

• char2609ukchar2609uk Posts: 1,539
    It would be better to be honest with the registrar and get a honest answer than risk it if they dont know the lyrics and hear it for the first time on the day.

Some registrars can be really picky and you wouldn't want any issues on the day, for example them asking for the music to be turned off in the middle of signing the register - it would spoil the mood.

I would send your song choices to them and explain your concerns - then at least you have time to make a new decision if they say no.

Also, can you get this part removed in any way, I dont know the song very well but when you put the medley together could you just choose a different part of the song to avoid the problem?

• garyhillgaryhill Posts: 43
    Get a pianist to play it, then there won't be an issue!
  • spanglechickspanglechick Posts: 402
    isn't it about a newborn baby?
  • Quoted:

Yes - it's a song about his daughter...??!! I find it really weird when people don't listen to the words when they pick songs for weddings...like 'I Will Always Love You' which is about leaving someone...or 'Me & Mrs Jones' about having an affair with a married woman - quite possibly the most inappropriate wedding song of all time!!!
  • clareoliverclareoliver Posts: 178
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Yes - it's a song about his daughter...??!! I find it really weird when people don't listen to the words when they pick songs for weddings...like 'I Will Always Love You' which is about leaving someone...or 'Me & Mrs Jones' about having an affair with a married woman - quite possibly the most inappropriate wedding song of all time!!!

I don't think it really matters that the song is about his daughter. It's a lovely song and I think very appropriate for a wedding! Sorry, I may have misunderstood you.
  • leannelloydukleannelloyduk Posts: 459
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

I have the most inappropriate wedding song of all time! lol

My two best friends got married in Jamaica and left the song choice to the hotel. Bad move. They obviously didn't understand the words...

As they exited, I found myself humming and swaying along to the song that was being played by the steel band. Being a huge fan wasn't long before I realised it was Careless Whisper ! lol Then as they signed the registar " No, No, No You don't Love me and I know now!" was played!!! Hilarious! lol
  • MrsFlowerfairyMrsFlowerfairy Posts: 6,800
    We only had time to play one song whilst signing the register? it was about 5 min long but that was about it! We exited to " For once in my life"