Alternative to champage for toast?

Hi everyone,

We're providing our own drinks for the wedding breakfast, which obviously needs to include something the toast.  We're not champagne lovers, and really don't like whatever you usually get given to toast at weddings, Cava?

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Would it be wrong to just announce people to get their drinks topped up ready for the speeches?

Thanks! image x

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253

youre never going to find something which everyone likes so if you want to ask everyone to top up their drinks i imagine a lot of men will appreciate it. or are you cockrail people? could you invite people to grab a cocktail for speeches?

• OOh a cocktail, interesting,  I've not tried Asti, might have a look for that.  A friend has suggested Kerisac, which is a fizzy cider but comes in a bottle that looks like champage.  We're having a cider punch for our welcome drinks, so that might be a good option.

• nats2013nats2013 Posts: 6,253

oooh Kerisac sounds nice and might be up the mans ally... going off to look for it now.... image

• image  My pal works at Le Bon Vin so he's going to get me a bottle to try.

• I second the Asti ... much more of a drink everyone will like.xx

• SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700

We served Champange at the reception and then Asti at the speech toasts!

Champagne - £35 a bottle (reduced to £24)

Asti - £5.09

Not really being able to tell the difference...priceless! 

Asti is fruiter than champagne but if you're not keen on Cava either then it might not be for you.

If I was a guest i'd be excited to try something new though so the kerisac would have a novelty factor for me! 

• now this is an interesting post. we dont want champagne either. i was going to have lambrini for the toast hahaha. but the Asti sounds good. I would love to give woo woo cocktails to everyone but would end up costing more than champagne. 

• We didn't give a drink specifically for the toasts, we had pimms on arrival, then open bar before everyone sat down for dinner, and wine on the tables so everyone did the toasts with whatever they happened to be drinking, it saved us loads as bottles of champagne were 45 Euros!!

• £45 for a bottle of fizzy water that no one likes omg. At our reception they are going to charge £21 a bottle or £10 corckage. its really annoying because i know how much profit they are making. 

• I have an awesome recipe for a punch - EVERYONE that I've served it to absolutely loved it and wanted the recipe.. try it out.. it's sooo good image

6 cups water

2 cups sugar

48 ozs pineapple juice

48 ozs grapefruit juice

2 cups gin

33 78 ozs ginger ale (chilled)

• how many will that do x

• I'd say you'd get about 35 glasses of about 170ml volume out of this (just went and filled my punch bowl up with water and measured it!) I serve it over ice and that makes it go a little further too and makes it even more refreshing.  Has to be Ginger ale.. ginger beer is too strong for it x

• We aren't having a drink for the toast either.  I am a huge fan of champagne but more as a pre rather than post dinner drink.  And I hate looking around to see lots of 3/4 full glasses that I have paid for going to waste!  So we are having plenty of wine on the table and people can top themselves up for the speeches as they wish!

• oooh i only need 36 glasses haha. will have a word with h2b when gets home. i wonder how much that will be?

• MrsMcG2B1 wrote (see)

We aren't having a drink for the toast either.  I am a huge fan of champagne but more as a pre rather than post dinner drink.  And I hate looking around to see lots of 3/4 full glasses that I have paid for going to waste! 

Totally agree, so much gets wasted it's not worth it, nobody even noticed they didn't specifically have champagne for the toasts as they had a drink of whatever they wanted