A Whirlwind Wedding

After lurking for several months and reading so many brilliant accounts of wedding planning, I've finally decided to try my hand at detailing my own preparations, albeit quite late - only 52 days until "I do"!

At best, people will read and comment.... At worst, I'll have a record to look back on......but I'm hoping someone out there might like reading as much as I'm enjoying hearing all about others' plans.

Background 

In August last year, a good friend persuaded me to sign up to an online dating site after she met a lovely man on there herself.  I reluctantly agreed,  although truthfully didn't hold out much hope after a lifetime of poor choices! I took up the challenge,  though, with the words "you only get out of something what you put in" ringing in my ears. By mid October,  I had had several first (and final!) dates, as well as meeting up with a couple of men more than once. After one particularly bad second date, I came to the conclusion that I was clearly doing something wrong, and changed my "search criteria" (sounds awful, like shopping...).

That very afternoon,  I made contact with a decent -sounding man, and after messaging one another for hours and discovering lots in common, we arranged to meet (I'm not one for months of emails....always feel that meeting up is the only way to judge chemistry). 

• Our first date lasted for about 7 hours, and encompassed coffee, a walk in the park, a drink in a pub, dinner, more drinks in another pub, and yet more coffee! I guess you could say we hit it off!

And that was the beginning...28th October 2015. Everything just felt right, like we'd known each other for years. Now, I'm no spring chicken (42) and all I could think of was how dramatically different this was from any other relationship I've ever had (all tremendously disastrous).  So, when he proposed completely out of the blue after only a month, I was of course shocked, but my gut made me say yes... 

Now, I'm usually a very sensible person who thinks things through carefully before making any decisions,  so this is somewhat out of character for me. Obviously my family were also shocked/surprised /lost for words, and there have been many times when they have asked me if I'm sure I know what I'm doing. Recent events have made me realise that life is short and you never know what's round the corner. I'm happier than I've ever been and, while some may say that's just the "honeymoon period", I'm a big girl and I'm sure I'm doing what's right for me now. My H2B is the most lovely, decent man who makes me so happy, and that's what matters most.

So by the start of January I had a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring, and a wedding to plan!

• Kate186Kate186 Posts: 92

That's a beautiful ring!

I met my OH on Match! It's taken us a little longer to get here but I guess you can say we are each others first serious relationships so we were enjoying being girlfriend and boyfriend for a long time! We moved in together after ten months and he proposed the year after, so some have thought we were quick but as you say when you know you know. Life is too short to mess around and when you meet someone you want to spend the rest of your life with you want the rest of you life to start right away!

Looking forward to reading your wedding plans. 

• Kate186 wrote (see post):

That's a beautiful ring!

I met my OH on Match! It's taken us a little longer to get here but I guess you can say we are each others first serious relationships so we were enjoying being girlfriend and boyfriend for a long time! We moved in together after ten months and he proposed the year after, so some have thought we were quick but as you say when you know you know. Life is too short to mess around and when you meet someone you want to spend the rest of your life with you want the rest of you life to start right away!

Looking forward to reading your wedding plans. 

Thanks Kate, it was Match for us too! I think you've summed it up perfectly. When you know, you know. 

• Mrs B2b3Mrs B2b3 Posts: 255

Another Match here! We were inseparable after 3 weeks and he proposed after 7 months. When we get married next April we'll have been together 20 months :)

• Mrs B2b3 wrote (see post):

Another Match here! We were inseparable after 3 weeks and he proposed after 7 months. When we get married next April we'll have been together 20 months :)

I know quite a few people who met in the same way! When we get married it will be just 9 months since first meeting.  Hence the title of my thread....Definitely a whirlwind! 

Aaaw it's lovely there's so many match couples! I wonder if they know. I've occasionally thought of writing a review to them saying how they helped me meet the man of my dreams :)

• Planning begins

Given that H2B has been married before, and I'm catholic,  I knew that unfortunately we wouldn't be able to get married in church (that's a whole other story, which my priest has been really helpful with in assisting with applying for an annulment),  so we needed to find a venue.

After drawing up a guest list, we knew we only needed somewhere small, for 50 people including ourselves.  I got details and quotes from a few places, but if I'm honest none of them really "spoke to me, but we made an appointment for one anyway, as a starting point.

When we got there,  we met with the wedding coordinator who was lovely and explained everything in detail over a coffee. On paper, it all seemed good. There was no room hire charge, just a minimum spend to meet on food and drink, which is easily covered by reception drinks, a three course meal, wine and toast drinks. So, in theory it sounded good, but we still hadn't seen the actual room.

We had to cross a little courtyard to get there,  to the medieval banquet hall. The second we set foot inside, I knew we had found our venue. It was perfect. An old friary (now blackfriars restaurant in Newcastle),  it looked just like a church, stone walls, stained glass windows, tiled floor. Fortunately,  H2B loved it too, so we provisionally booked our date ready to confirm after booking the registrar.  I absolutely love the place, and it's rustic charm - old wooden tables, carved wooden chairs, hurricane lamps on the tables. Simple and understated - exactly what we're going for.

Best of all, they can accommodate our slightly unusual decision to not have an evening reception.  We're marrying at 11:30, drinks reception then three course meal, and finished by 4:30. After that, we're off to a nearby pub with anyone who wants to come along! Maybe a bit unconventional,  but it suits us perfectly. 

• Some pics of our venue: set for the ceremony,  set for dinner, and the outside space for our drinks reception and photos

That is a very stunning venue! They seem pretty generous too. You're very lucky. Well done for staying clear of the trap of a 'traditonal' wedding reception as well, if we'd done that from the off we would have saved ourselves a lot of hassle! 

• Kate186 wrote (see post):

That is a very stunning venue! They seem pretty generous too. You're very lucky. Well done for staying clear of the trap of a 'traditonal' wedding reception as well, if we'd done that from the off we would have saved ourselves a lot of hassle! 

Thanks Kate, I really do love the venue and they have been very flexible with arrangements etc. It's taken some of our family a bit of time to get used to the idea that at 4:30 they can go home if they want!! However, I think we're getting there! 

• Marija2Marija2 Posts: 362

Our engagement rings are very similar! :)

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

I met my H2B online and moved in together after 6 months, he proposed just after our year 'anniversary' we get married next year though and would have been together 3 years by then.

It is more and more common these day to meet in this way!

Gorgeous ring and beaut location! one of my best friends met, moved in and married a man in the space of 9 months after meeting him online! they are blissfully happy & that's what first encouraged me to get online and look where we are!!! :) xx

• Thanks all! My mum had been encouraging me for ages to get online... Then she was shocked when we decided to get married so quickly!  Thankfully she loves my H2B and can see how happy we are.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We are another Match couple. Moved in together after eight months, engaged in our 14th month and when we get married we will have been together for just under two years! 

We both knew from our first date, however, that this was 'the one'. Both of us have had several long-term relationships previously, and none of them have felt like this. We feel so lucky to have met each other. I only wish it could have happened ten years sooner - it would have saved a lot of difficult times!

Match does seem to be quite successful! 

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868
    Cornishlady wrote (see post):

We are another Match couple. Moved in together after eight months, engaged in our 14th month and when we get married we will have been together for just under two years! 

We both knew from our first date, however, that this was 'the one'. Both of us have had several long-term relationships previously, and none of them have felt like this. We feel so lucky to have met each other. I only wish it could have happened ten years sooner - it would have saved a lot of difficult times!

We knew on our first date too! we actually spoke about getting married at the Gerkin in London on our very first date as he took me to a rooftop bar that overlooked it! its crazy how these things pan out! I agree though - I wish I could have just met him earlier and not wasted so much time & upset! xx

• Kitten2014 wrote (see post):

We are another Match.com couple! My OH popped the question just a few weeks before our one year "anniversary."  I'm going to have to share your story with those that thought that we were a whirlwind relationship, you two have us beat by a mile  I'm so glad you found happiness, it sounds like you had a rough time prior.

I have the same issue with the church and continue to struggle with that. My marriage was never annulled although we are long ago legally divorced. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with that and not getting a whole lot of cooperation from the church...

Your venue is so cool! I love English history and can't imagine the interesting stories those walls have seen. 

Hi Kitten, my H2B has been legally divorced for 8 years, and I didn't even consider that a Catholic annulment would be possible since he's not catholic.  However, my priest has said he will help us with the paperwork as he believes there is a good chance it will be granted. Obviously it won't be in time for our wedding,  so if it is granted,  we'll have a convalidation ceremony at a later date. I'm really touched that my H2B is prepared to go through it all for my sake. The whole annulment process has been explained to me, and my sister has been through it, so if I can help you in any way, please just ask!

• Cornishlady wrote (see post):

We are another Match couple. Moved in together after eight months, engaged in our 14th month and when we get married we will have been together for just under two years! 

Hi, it's amazing isn't it, that a website can be so successful!  We've found that our paths must have crossed several times yet it took match.com to actually bring us together! 

• Marija2 wrote (see post):

Our engagement rings are very similar! :)

Hi Marija,  I have never been a single diamond girl - I think they look beautiful on slender fingers, but mine definitely aren't like that!! 

• Once the venue and registrar were booked (25th July 2016), the rest of the planning got underway. 

We took our colour scheme from the interior of the venue - red and gold, perhaps not traditionally summer colours, but we both had exactly the same idea. So it seemed like fate.

Once this was decided, we ticked off quite a few things from the list relatively quickly: red Paisley ties for the men with grey suits. H2b's boys (aged 7 and 11) are going to be the best men, and they will be in grey trousers and waistcoats and the same ties, which I managed to find in boys versions too. My 7 year old nephew is going to be my page boy and my niece aged 4 is bridesmaid /flower girl ( funny moment when I went to ask her, and she said no!!! My sister was mortified!!  Turned out she didn't really understand,  and soon changed her mind when she realised she could wear a pretty dress and sparkly shoes!).

Flowers were easy for me too. A family friend is a florist and showed me a picture she thought I'd like. She was right, and I ordered straight away. 

My bouquet will be like this, a smaller version for my niece, and red rose buttonholes for everyone else.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

Wow that bouquet is stunning ! Just that little bit different from simply red roses.

• Jenni8 wrote (see post):

Wow that bouquet is stunning ! Just that little bit different from simply red roses.

Thanks Jenni,  I had wanted peonies, but it's not easy to get red, so the florist suggested ranunculus roses which have the same look.

• We decided we needed to get our invitations out quickly,  so started looking online for ideas. We found some which we both liked on Amazon of all places, and that gave rise to a loose "theme" to tie things together - butterflies. 

These were simple, customisable and came quickly. When we received them, I was pleasantly surprised by the good quality especially as they were very inexpensive. 

I made info cards to go in with the invitations,  which I was really quite pleased with too!!

• Ashleigh10Ashleigh10 Posts: 77

That is a lovely ring.

It was very quickly and most of the time when you rush relationships it ends disasterous but there are some who make it works, you and your fiancee are clearly part of the rare few who have suvived rushing things me and my faincee are the same. Although not quite as quick as you two :P lol

I met my fiancee when he was 16, I was 18, it took two days before we were official and we had fallen in love with each other, just three months later we moved in together, 10 months later we were enagaged and then 3 years later (on our 3 year anniversary) we will become husband and wife.

I wish you the best of luck in your future together and in your wedding plans xx

• We are very fortunate that H2b's uncle and aunt are both photographers, and they offered straight away to take our photos on the day, which we are over the moon about. We'll provide them with a list of group shots we'd like (maximum 8 of these), and the rest we're leaving up to them to get natural shots for us.

I'm in the process of making a postbox for cards, and we've gone for a signing frame instead of a guest book,  hopefully it will look something like this :

Our favours are Cancer research UK pin badges on little cards which say that we've made a donation to the charity, because my family and friends have all been affected by cancer in recent years.

We are having butterfly place cards and packets of butterfly confetti afterwards too

My very talented mum and sister are making and decorating our cake, which will look something like this (although with red and ivory) with a tier each of fruit, chocolate sponge and lemon :

• With most of the details kind of sorted, it was time to think about the dress...something I wasn't really looking forward to,  as a plus size bride to be. 

However,  off I went with my mum....I tried on several different styles and settled on tea length as the style I liked the most. But none of the ones I tried on were for me - too fussy, too scratchy, too expensive!!! 

I went away to think about it, but in the mean time I found shoes!!!!

Then, while looking online for flower girl dresses,  I found my dress...

I ordered it, and once it arrived and I tried it on, I knew it was the one! I've had a couple of alterations made, and I'm wearing a petticoat underneath to "lift" the skirt slightly. I've also decided against a veil, and instead I've had a pill box fascinator with a kind of bird cage veil made especially for me....this pic is from my hair trial. 

While the whole look may not be exactly traditional, it's exactly right for me. I'm doing my own make up, and have today done a trial of it....I've done my supermarket shop in my wedding day "face", and so far it's standing up well!''

My niece has a lovely dress from monsoon, and matching sparkly red shoes! 

• My eye make up....first attempt:

I'm going for a fairly natural look, and have a neutral lipstick too.

• Kitten2014 wrote (see post):

MrsLAllan...you're a Mrs now!  How did the big day go?  Do you have any pics you'd like to share?

As a fellow match.com bride, I was so enjoying your planning thread :)

Kitten, I am indeed a Mrs now! The day was completely amazing and exactly as we wanted. We had our nearest and dearest with us and, although not completely traditional,  it was perfect for us. The pub we walked to afterwards got a bit of a surprise when we all walked in around 4:30 after the wedding breakfast! I only have a few photos at present,  but will post more when I have them. 

Us on the venue balcony:

Rings etc before the ceremony :

Our cake made by my sister:

Signing the register: