Forum home Planning

Magicians?

MrsCFMrsCF Posts: 155

I thought we had booked all of our main suppliers for the wedding and had everything sorted, but I have been debating having a magician at the wedding as entertainment, especially as we have young children at the wedding during the day and the reception.

I was planning on having a magician in the hour down time we have after the meal but before the evening guests arrive. I have been quoted a good price but I don't think H2B is sold on the idea.

Has anyone had a magician at their wedding and how did it go down?

• We had a magician at ours! He went down brilliantly - we didn't have children but the adults loved it as well. We booked him for the drinks reception immediately after our ceremony because we felt like it would break the ice before everyone has a few drinks 

• We had a magician, we booked him the week before the wedding because I had a freak out our drinks reception was too long (2hours) he did an hour in the middle of it and was fantastic without a doubt some of the best money I spent for our wedding! we only had a small very close friends and family only wedding and he was bringing people from both families that had never met together and seeing our families laughing and having so much fun together was such a highlight! If I was you o would 100% go for it! My Hubby also wasn't sold on the idea and only went with it for a quiet life I think lol but he couldn't stop raving about him the following day either Esp when all of his family were so impressed xx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

Not having one for my wedding (already blew the entertainment budget on fireworks) but a friend had one and he was fantastic- one of the best things about her wedding! My partner still talks about the magician at Laura's wedding now. She didn't even have many kids but he was fantastic with the adults and very funny.

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I really like the idea of having one- I've heard people who have and guests really enjoyed it!

If people don't mind sharing - how much did you pay/ have been quoted for one? I want to check I'm getting a fair price If I do go for one! 

• MrsCFMrsCF Posts: 155

I have been quoted £150 for the hour Lexi. This is in Liverpool. I did get quotes up to £500 though!

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

The one my friend had was £500 but he was fantastic and I know he's very popular. I'd happily pay that much for him if we weren't spending on other entertainment!

• MrsCFMrsCF Posts: 155

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely pay £500 if they were worth it and if I had the money left in the pot, but we don't so I was very pleased with £150! 

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 586 New bride

We had a magician for 1 hour while we went off site to do bride and groom only pics at a different location and our guests loved him, plus we caught him for a few tricks when we got back to the venue and he was fab, a real highlight and talking point of the day for guests. We paid £150 for the hour, which included his travel costs. Well worth it if you have the money in your budget :)

• JdotJJdotJ Posts: 196 New bride

£150 is really good for a magician, a friend of mine charges £800 for an hour which I think is extortionate, personally it's not my thing but for £150 you're getting an amazing deal!

Jx

• Hi all... I'll declare my interest here, I'm a wedding magician and a cheap one. £150 is a fantastic deal for a magician, the average going rate across most magicians is £300+ with premium getting as high as £800+.

A lot of websites and guides will warnt that cheap magicians are cheap for a reason and they usually equate that to being bad magician. It's not the case. We have a variety of reasons for being cheap.

Some of us are just starting out in the pro world and therefore aren't going to get big bucks quite yet. Even Dynamo and David Blaine had to do their first year. This doesn't mean bad, it just means the price needs to reflect the number of gigs we need to get in a year.

Also some of us just don't do this full time. This doesn't make us any less capable or skillful, any worse a performer, it just makes us people who have a decent day job and don't need to base our pricing structure arund affording our mortgage. There are loads of people in part time work in the country who are good at their jobs.

What I would say though is that you should always have spoken to, communicated with, checked out the magician you're going to hire. You can run into us at wedding fairs, most of us do public shows or restaurant gigs. In some cases we're willing to eve travel to you, show you a few tricks and our style and make sure you're comfortable with us and that we fit into your wedding.

Hope that helps

Paul

Paul Bavill - Vintage Magician & Entertainer

www.professorpaulmagic.co.uk