Forum home Planning

Photographer problems!

Hiya,

When we got engaged last year, we were really keen to keep costs down. My stepdad isn't a huge fan of my fiancé, and finds weddings awkward (great combo!) but when I mentioned booking a photographer, he said he'd like to do it as he has all the equipment and has photographed a couple of weddings before.

I agreed because I thought it would be a good way to keep him busy all day, but recently when I've mentioned to people that we're not hiring a professional, they've said I'll regret it.

we went and took some test shots at the venue so that he could check out lighting, and they looked fine, but now I'm really stressing that I should have paid out and booked someone. 

Any advice?! X 

• Aniela2Aniela2 Posts: 1

Hey, 

First thing- don't get overstressed, it won't help at all ☺Second thing- it's really kind of your dad that he offered his help. He could choose an easy option of enjoying the celebration only.

Where about is your wedding? 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

I guess it depends how bothered you are about the photos. If they don't come out well will you be gutted? Or will you he happy with whatever guests have snapped on their own cameras? If its 'yes' and 'no' then you need to hire a professional. Wedding photography isnt as easy as it seems- it's not just about having a nice camera.

I read this article a little while ago, it could be worth a read:

http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2012/01/should-i-book-a-professional-wedding-photographer-or-get-a-friend-to-do-it-for-free-a-cautionary-tale/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Official+Facebook+Page

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

A professional has the experience to deal with almost any situation, weather, etc. personally the pictures are far too important for me to take a chance on an amateur. 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Hire a professional. 

H2b and I were originally supposed to have a friend of father in law as our photographer. He never responded to our emails and I had a bridezilla moment. We eventually decided to go with another photographer and I am so much happier. We have since found out the friend was never a professional, it is his hobby. Needless to say I am glad we found out now rather than this time next year with 6 months before the wedding. 

• You need to decide what is more important to you both - keeping your step dad happy and involved, or your wedding photos.  No one should be judging you if you choose to have family, friends, or any non professional photographer take your wedding pictures.  Just because someone doesn't do it for a living doesn't mean they won't be any good (and you've said yourself that the ones you've seen have been fine). 

You made your decision and as long as you are happy with that, then don't let other people change your mind just because it isn't the socially accepted norm.  

If you do feel like you've made a mistake though, then it's never too late to book one.   As others have said, yes they are important (and I would believe that more than most ) but so is your relationship with your father.  Just be prepared for the potential fallout and bad feeling it will possibly cause xx

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

I would always say hire a professional.

My friend got married in 2012 and her husbands 'friend' did the photos (who assured them that he had done various weddings). The resulting photos were awful and the only decent pictures she has from the day were taken by other guests on their phones/cameras. So whilst I'm not criticising your step dad's photographic ability, I think to be safe you should also have a professional.

The other things that worries me is that if your dad doesn't get on with your fiance, that could well impact upon how the photos come out, for example if your husband to be doesn't feel comfortable etc.

• EJS1982EJS1982 Posts: 664

have you thought about the fact that your stepdad won't actually be part of the wedding day if he's busy taking pics? Our photographer was hard at work all day - it's what we paid her for and the beautiful pics are proof of that. I'd worry if I were you that a) your pics won't be as good as you'd hope and b) your stepdad won't be part of the day with you .... Or else he WILL enjoy the day and not take as good pics!! For me it's a lose lose situation. 

• BekhaGBekhaG Posts: 586 New bride

Book a professional ASAP

You will massively regret not doing

Your stepdad can still be a photographer- nothing wrong with having 2- but trust me, hire a pro. Its too important an occason not to!