Forum home Planning

Mum as Best Man???? too weird?

LewyLewy Posts: 2

So i don't know who to choose as a Best Man.

So Long Story short Moved to Perth Australia from UK 6 years ago. Lost touch with friends in the UK But did meet some new friends in Australia not many but got a few. Only thing is don't have like a best friend. So planning on getting Married in Bali next year and want to try pick a best man but only thing is don't want to just pick a friend i talk to every so often just for the sake of it. I just feel like its sad. I do have a younger brother but theirs 8 years between us and didn't want to ask him. So after a night out last night it came out when talking with my mum about the whole best man situation and she understands where i'm coming from with just picking someone for the sake of it. That's when my mum said she would be honored to be my best man and being in a very drunk state i was all up for it because i'm very close to my mum & she is like a best friend. But waking up this morning and thinking about it yes i do like the idea but in the same way i do think its weird and then do i look like i give the impression that yeah look at this loser who's obviously not got any friends because he's using his mum as a best man.

If i can have your thoughts please on the matter that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You 

Lewy

• HereitgoesHereitgoes Posts: 206 New bride

I've never heard of that before however, why not? She doesn't have to be seen as 'best man' but best woman'...

• Sophie177Sophie177 Posts: 190

Hi Lewy

I dont think its weird at all!  I had a neighbour who got married a few years ago, and he had his sister as best man.  He wasnt close to his dad, and no real close male chums to ask.  

Nothing wrong with a Best MAM!  Plus, think of the Best Mam stories she could regale the guests with of you as a wee nipper!  Mothers always have some corking stories!

xx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

Don't wanna lie, it's a little bit weird. Your mum is your mum- she has her own special role in the wedding without being a best man! Maybe you should ask your brother even though he's younger?

• Best Mam - amazing!

• I think it's a lovely idea! My dad had his female cousin when he got married a few years ago - I don't think there are any rules any more and it's a really lovely idea. Do what you want!! x

• SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 102

I know a few people with best women so why not. to be honest, there's not much that's a specified role unless you make it one. For my oh, best man literally just means someone stood near him holding rings and ready to sign as a witness....your mum could absolutely do that! It's better that it is someone close to you rather than just choosing for choosings sake. You don't even need to call it best man, or woman, just have her with you as a witness...the titles are arbitrary at the end of the day!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

Have you asked your finance their opinion? I don't mean to be rude or harsh, but some men do have very close relationships with their mothers that can be ... difficult for their wives or partners to deal with.

There is nothing wrong with being close to your mother, but sometimes the future spouse feels they have to compete and they may not be too pleased with your mum taking the role of best man.

It is worth a check to see how they feel about that.

• JdotJJdotJ Posts: 196 New bride

I actually think it's a lovely idea, you don't need to just go along with "tradition" just because it's tradition after all, and I wouldn't care what other people think either. Your wedding, your rules :)

Jx

• CE26CE26 Posts: 351 New bride

I think it's lovely - weddings are so unique now I dont really think there's any rules you should feel obligated to stick to.

I have no bridesmaids - instead, my Mum and my Brother will be walking down the aisle before my Dad and I.

My OH has 4 best men as he didn't feel right just choosing one of his close friends. His sister is most likely going to have the role of handing over the rings during the ceremony.

Do what you feel is right for your day!

• LewyLewy Posts: 2

Thank you all for your responses i do really appreciate it. & Still not sure will have to have a think 

and yes spoke to my fiancee about it and she doesn't care she said what ever i want. But they do both get on really well so that's why it's probably not an issue. 

Thank you again for all your help.