Forum home Planning

Banns of Marriage

I wish there was a 'how to'guide of getting married. 

Is anyone else getting married at a church out of their parish? If so, what have you had to do to arrange for your banns read at your parish church? 

I emailed the vicar yesterday but I don't have high hopes because I had to search high and low for any contact info.

Our Banns forms are already filled in for the church we're getting married at so I know what to expect that way, but it did mention that there may be a charge involved to have them read at your parish. Has anyone else had to do this? Do you have to attend services in order to get this done (we're at our wedding church every Sunday as it is)

I feel so awkward, the churches are similar distances from where we live but my only excuse for choosing the out of parish one is that it's prettier (always wanted to get married there) so I don't know if to expect a grilling about why I wouldn't choose my parish church?? Ahh! 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

So if you have completed the banns form the vicar will read them out the 3 sundays before you wedding. You do not have to be there to hear them, but it is nice (we went to 2 out of 3 and my parents came to one)

You need to make sure the other parish vicar has your banns form and then again perhaps go to one of those and 2 in the church you want to marry at.

The cost will be added to the bill the church will charge you for holding the wedding.

• Ah, ok. So it's just a case of sending another banns form to the parish church, too? Or will 

We only got one copy from the church we're to be married at but was a bit vague what to do with it so we filled that in and sent it back to them  

We have to attend for at least 6 months to confirm the wedding so we've been going every week for the last few months and were planning on carrying on up until the wedding. We've heard a quite a few banns being read from our parish so they must be quite used to our situation now.

I don't know if it's that we're a bit premature as we've only had our 'wedding pack' that was just asking about the ceremony itself. I'm not even sure when we speak to the vicar about everything. 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

Chat to your vicar - they will be used to sending information to each other for banns etc. We married in our parish so only had to do one form.

I know our vicar didn't even get us to fill in the form until 4 weeks before the wedding.

Your vicar will know what they are about, but it might not be to your time table so you just have to be patient with them. They know they have to sort it before they can marry you so they will.

• MrsCFMrsCF Posts: 155

Claire we are getting married outside of our parish church and need to have our banns read in the parish church.

I emailed the church and they said that they hold an open church every Thursday evening so we are going to go tomorrow. I'm not sure if we will have to fill another banns form in- I presume we would but I will let you know.

I think it's £27 to have your banns read in the church and so I am expecting to pay that tomorrow. After your banns have been read in the parish church and there are no objections, you will get a certificate of your banns which our priest who is doing the wedding said he must have by the time of the wedding rehearsal.

We are getting married in February and we have already spoken to our vicar about order of service etc so I don't think you would be too early.

• MrsF2017 wrote (see post):

Claire we are getting married outside of our parish church and need to have our banns read in the parish church.

I emailed the church and they said that they hold an open church every Thursday evening so we are going to go tomorrow. I'm not sure if we will have to fill another banns form in- I presume we would but I will let you know.

I think it's £27 to have your banns read in the church and so I am expecting to pay that tomorrow. After your banns have been read in the parish church and there are no objections, you will get a certificate of your banns which our priest who is doing the wedding said he must have by the time of the wedding rehearsal.

We are getting married in February and we have already spoken to our vicar about order of service etc so I don't think you would be too early.

Ahh, brilliant. Thanks so much for this. It makes a lot more sense now. I was expecting it to cost more than that, too! Lol. 

It's crazy how little you'd know if you left it to wedding co-ordinators. 

With our church, we were aware we had to attend for 6 months but were under the impression this was 6 months prior to the wedding. We've been told by post that they will be in touch at the start of the year of our wedding. So we thought they went hand in hand (although a little short, so we were going to go earlier). 

We then got a text from the wedding co-ordination saying we'd not been attending and were told only at that point you need to attend for 6 months to confirm your wedding booking. We could have so easily lost our date there, that was about 7 months after booking too.

The vicar is so hard to get a hold of. His wife is not well and they're super busy with weddings as its a popular church so I wonder if they do tend to leave it to closer the time to arrange everything. 

I will pop an email over to the church wedding co-ordinator I think. 😊

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

We got married in the church in the parish my husband used to live in - as I had never lived in that parish we had to get banns read in that church and also the church where my address was (which we have no link to and have never attended)

The vicar who married us sorted the banns for the church we were getting married in and I had to contact the church local to us to arrange to have them read for me. I had to pay £40 to the church in my parish, this included the certificate.

Once my local church had read the banns I passed the certificate onto the vicar at the church we were getting married at.

Gosh that sounds so confusing but I hope it makes sense!!

• N7N7 Posts: 75 New bride

Hi ClaireForceOne,

We're getting married in a church outside of our parish. Here's what we had to do:

1. Fill the banns form in for the church we're getting married at and pay them for the banns

2. Get in touch with the church in our local parish and fill in another banns form - they provided this to us. We also had to pay them £40.

3. When our banns have been read in our local church (end of Sept) we pick up the certificate, make a copy and provide the original to the church we're getting married in. Without this certificate the church we're getting married at won't marry us.

Hope that's helpful. I don't know why it has to be so complicated and drawn out, but it will all be worth it in the end!

• Thank you everyone. I'm quite surprised but it's now all sorted. 

They've got our details and filled everything in for us. We just go on the 19th Feb for our final banns reading and pick up the certificate. 

We were charged £40 too. It all adds up this getting married in a church lark. 

I honestly thought that was going to be a lot more stressful than it was. But, we're all sorted now. 

Thanks for all your help 😁