Forum home Planning

Fiancé read my letter :-(

I am so upset and can't seem to make myself feel better!

I had written a letter for my husband to be to give to him on our wedding day and it had taken me weeks. This morning I accidentally left it folded up in the kitchen as it was in my work bag and I didn't want to put my lunch on top of it.

I then get a text from my fiancé saying, 'did you mean to leave that letter out?' My heart sank so I rang him and said 'I hope you didn't read it?'... he did.. he didn't know what it was for! I don't blame him as I would have done the same but I am so annoyed. We get married a week on Saturday and these were really heartfelt words for his wedding card to open on the morning of the wedding not now!

I can't do anything about it now but I am so upset. I have got us a night away in a nice hotel where we can look at the stars with a telescope as there's no light pollution and that's still a surprised but I can't help but feel really upset about this. I hope it isn't the start of things to go wrong :-(

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Don't worry- you cant change what has happened, he will have had more time alone to read it and take it all in when he read it by himself, and your hotel plans sounds lovely too.

• That's very true! He said it made him really happy reading it.

Just one of those annoying things you wish you could change! I said to him it's like me reading his speech before the day!!

Thanks for the reassurance! Weddings are so stressful!!! 

• Oh my goodness, that's so unfortunate, I'm really sorry! I'm planning on doing the same for my wedding as I'm not giving a speech and I'd be heartbroken if my fiance read it early! I'm really sorry that happened.

I'd say, at least he read it. It would have been worse if you'd lost it or he'd thrown it away. And he loved it, so it had the outcome you wanted, just a little early. Please don't think this means everything is going to go wrong, it's all going to be absolutely fine! And you'll still have the best day of your life :)

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Although it would have been lovely for him to read it on your wedding day, he has probably had more time to appreciate it and think about it by reading it early.  Wedding days are so busy!  Reading it early means he can really savour your words and enjoy them and enjoy the run up to your special day knowing how much you love him and how much he means to you, which can't be bad.

I certainly don't think it means everything is going to go wrong, I think you'll have a lovely day - and your 'star-gazing' surprise sounds beautiful and thoughtful.  What a lucky man he is!

Enjoy your special day! xxx

• @FutureMrsWoolsgrove I know very unfortunate and I feel really sorry for myself!! I am an anxious person as it is and have been finding the build up really stressful as it is as I suffer bad headaches. He told me this morning when I got to work and I wanted to go home! Sounds a bit drastic I know but I take things massively to heart and I just feel like it's really unfair and I can't change it! I am sure I'll get over it but am so sensitive right now it doesn't take much to tip me over the edge!!

It's a nice idea for the wedding day and I am sure your husband will really appreciate it x 

• Thirdtimearound wrote (see post):

Although it would have been lovely for him to read it on your wedding day, he has probably had more time to appreciate it and think about it by reading it early.  Wedding days are so busy!  Reading it early means he can really savour your words and enjoy them and enjoy the run up to your special day knowing how much you love him and how much he means to you, which can't be bad.

I certainly don't think it means everything is going to go wrong, I think you'll have a lovely day - and your 'star-gazing' surprise sounds beautiful and thoughtful.  What a lucky man he is!

Enjoy your special day! xxx

Thank you that's really sweet of you to say and really made me feel better. I am usually really good with hiding things and I can assure you, had it been something I intentionally left out for him to read he wouldn't have seen it he's that unobservant! You are right though, it was the sentiment and the timing doesn't really matter! 

I just hope everything goes as well as it can and most importantly we are going to be married so that's the best thing!

Thanks again xxx