Forum home Planning

Niggles really annoying me!

We get married in September and there are some little annoying things really getting to me. 

My fiancés mum is paying nothing towards the wedding and I don't expect her to yet she begrudges paying to stay in a hotel when she comes down. She's found the cheapest hotel she can and is staying the night of the wedding but insists on staying with us the night after. This is the night between our wedding and honeymoon. I massively begrudge this because not only is she not a very nice person but come on, surely you'd think maybe the bride and groom want to relax in between? Also I get chronic anxiety and easily and I just want no stress. My fiancé doesn't understand and it's causes arguments already. 

Am I being mean?! 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

Hell no you aren't being mean- I would not allow this at all! Why can't she just go home the day after the wedding? I had a similar issue where my h2b said he might have to drive his mum home- all 200 miles- the day after the wedding! Again my answer was oh hell no!

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I don't think your being mean. It's your day and you want to enjoy and relax the couple of days after - not play host to Mum! 

• Could you book yourselves into a hotel and let her stay in the house? Have it as an extra night away for you and your husband?

• Anita37Anita37 Posts: 14

Oh my word! Invading your newlywed bubble much?? If my future MIL tried to do that I would tell my fiancé that if she's staying, I'm leaving lol. I'm sorry it's causing arguments and that he doesn't understand, you're not being mean in the slightest, luckily my fiancé would nip such an intrusion in the bud before I even heard of it, she shouldn't be begrudging staying in a hotel on the night of her son's wedding. I really hope this gets resolved my dear, you shouldn't be in this situation xx

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I second Mrs M's suggestion - book yourselves a night somewhere else - if it's the night before the honeymoon could you stay at a hotel near the airport and use that as an excuse?