Forum home Planning

RSVPs by when?

MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

How much time do you think I should give for guests to rsvp?

The wedding is 22nd april, Im planning on sending the invites in october to avoid christmas post, and because I didnt bother with save the dates.

When should I ask them to rsvp by? Im thinking january? Do I even need a time limit?

• elsyelsy Posts: 533

This is something that we weren't overly sure about either. We sent out our invites last month and get married in March. We have asked people to rsvp by December 1st. This gives people plenty of time to not have to rush to do it, if we get people say no it gives us time to send out additional invites and it also gives us enough time to chase people up if we hear nothing back by then as I can imagine there will be at least a couple of people that forget and are late. 

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

Our RSVP date was 4 weeks before. This gave us enough time to give the venue final numbers, chase any stragglers and sort the table plan.

It's up to you but really I don't see the need to have RSVP's in 3-4 months before the day.

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

We only really need rsvps for the venue numbers really, theres nobody we would bump to day invite if someone else said no, were only having close family and friends during the day and they will all be invited. It would only mean saving us money 😂

But on the same note as its only close people Im not sure we need a cut off date because we see them all regularly and I feel like we will know well in advance whether theyre coming or not.

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,654 New bride

We're getting married in March next year and will be sending our invites out in November with a cut off date of 20 Jan for rsvps. Like you we don't have people to bump up so if some can't come, it just makes it cheaper for us. We've chosen 20 Jan as we need to let our caterers know around 21 days before the wedding of final numbers and dietary requirements so figured that gives us a month of chasing responses if we need to.

• TC2017TC2017 Posts: 69

I'm getting married in April too. The venue want final numbers and menu choices by mid February. 

I'm planning to send our invites at the end of November to avoid Christmas postal rush. I'm thinking of asking for RSVP's back by 3rd week in January, mainly so I have a few weeks to chase people for menu choices if needed. We're not having a separate evening do so don't need to move people up. 

We're only having a small wedding about 42 people. My one thought is if a few people can't come as it's Easter would we invite others? It might be nice to have time to do that. Having said that most people have given a positive response to the save the date cards.