How to word our invites?

I've really no clue as to how to word our invites so was wondering what other brides did for theirs?

My surname is way too long so I was considering just writing mine and FI's first names but is that a bit informal for wedding? 

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,209 New bride

It totally depends on the style of your day I think - we're going for quite a relaxed, informal marquee wedding so the wording was as follows:

Together with their parents S & C (our first names obviously!) are delighted to invite *guests name* to witness & celebrate their marriage on... 

Hope that helps!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I dont want anything formal so Ive done:

my first name and surname

&

partners first name and surname

invite you to celebrate their marriage on

date and time at

church name 

church street ~ town

and then join them for their wedding reception at

reception name

reception street ~ city

rsvp ~ my phone number

• SeptemberBride16 wrote (see post):

It totally depends on the style of your day I think - we're going for quite a relaxed, informal marquee wedding so the wording was as follows:

Together with their parents S & C (our first names obviously!) are delighted to invite *guests name* to witness & celebrate their marriage on... 

Hope that helps!

Thank you, we want to go for a reasonably relaxed atmosphere so I think we'll go for something similar to your invite, with the exclusion of the mention of parents :) 

• MrsJohnstonToBe wrote (see post):

I dont want anything formal so Ive done:

my first name and surname

&

partners first name and surname

invite you to celebrate their marriage on

date and time at

church name 

church street ~ town

and then join them for their wedding reception at

reception name

reception street ~ city

rsvp ~ my phone number

Thank you for your reply :) We're having the ceremony and reception at the same venue but i think I shall start it off in a similar manner to how you have :) 

• hautocrafthautocraft Posts: 263 New bride

Carebear95 - are you making these invites yourself? For other ideas on wording, you can always Google invitations to get ideas :) 

babybluegirl

9:41am 

• ours our worded 

My Parents full name & H2B parents full names

would like to invite you to the wedding of their children 

My Full name which is long 

and 

H2b Full name

xxx

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

I didn't want anything formal- especially not the bit about parents hosting the wedding, as they aren't! I mean my parents are giving us a bit but H2B's mum isn't (which is fine, she's a widowed pensioner and we don't expect it). So we are hosting the day, not them. I do think if your parents are paying for the majority then they should also be on the invites though.

Mine read:

Dear (guest)

(Brides full name) & (Grooms full name) (when I say full I don't mean middle names!)

Would love for you to join them at their wedding

On, At etc.

I put the full names on just so people are sure it's us haha. We have quite common names so it's totally possible they know other people with our first names!

•  funnily enough me and my partner were talking about this this morning, and we decided on first names only (and even the nickname in my case (Maddy rather than Madelane) But we are not doing things traditionally, and we are going for a budget wedding... I don't know if that changes things...

• babybluegirl wrote (see post):

Carebear95 - are you making these invites yourself? For other ideas on wording, you can always Google invitations to get ideas :) 

babybluegirl

9:41am 

Indeed I am making them myself :)

• EnglishRoseInLove wrote (see post):

ours our worded 

My Parents full name & H2B parents full names

would like to invite you to the wedding of their children 

My Full name which is long 

and 

H2b Full name

xxx

My full name is 29 letters long so I m a bit apprehensive as to whether to put it on, I m already set on taking my fiance's  much shorter surname :p 

i ve yet to figure out exactly what to put down venue details wise either  as we ll be having a sit down meal after the ceremony and then sweets table afterwards.

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

I didn't want anything formal- especially not the bit about parents hosting the wedding, as they aren't! I mean my parents are giving us a bit but H2B's mum isn't (which is fine, she's a widowed pensioner and we don't expect it). So we are hosting the day, not them. I do think if your parents are paying for the majority then they should also be on the invites though.

Mine read:

Dear (guest)

(Brides full name) & (Grooms full name) (when I say full I don't mean middle names!)

On, At etc.

I put the full names on just so people are sure it's us haha. We have quite common names so it's totally possible they know other people with our first names!

We re paying for it ourselves and as my dad passed away years ago and my mum and my fiancés dad remarried it d get way too complicated to give them all a mention on it.

Would love for you to join them, is a perfect sentence so it's not too formal for us :) Well Joshua is an incredibly common name, Claire not so much but I d hope our guests don't need surnames to know it's us :p

• CherryCokeQueen wrote (see post):

funnily enough me and my partner were talking about this this morning, and we decided on first names only (and even the nickname in my case (Maddy rather than Madelane) But we are not doing things traditionally, and we are going for a budget wedding... I don't know if that changes things...

First names only does make it seem much less formal which I like :) well we re having a relatively  budget wedding and want a relaxed atmosphere so ideally the invites would reflect that :) 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride
    Carebear95 wrote (see post):
    Sammykate wrote (see post):

Mine read:

Dear (guest)

On, At etc.

We re paying for it ourselves and as my dad passed away years ago and my mum and my fiancés dad remarried it d get way too complicated to give them all a mention on it.

Would love for you to join them, is a perfect sentence so it's not too formal for us :) Well Joshua is an incredibly common name, Claire not so much but I d hope our guests don't need surnames to know it's us :p

Yeah I'm sure I didn't need to put the full names on there and they would have known lol. It was mostly for doddery old relatives who might need some clarification on who's wedding they are being invited to. Doesn't help that my name (Sam) is both a girls name and boys name and common for both!

• Sammykate wrote (see post):
    Carebear95 wrote (see post):
    Sammykate wrote (see post):

Mine read:

Dear (guest)

On, At etc.

Yeah I'm sure I didn't need to put the full names on there and they would have known lol. It was mostly for doddery old relatives who might need some clarification on who's wedding they are being invited to. Doesn't help that my name (Sam) is both a girls name and boys name and common for both!

Ah I see what you mean,all the Sam's I ve ever met are women :p We don't really have many old relatives to invite really.