›

Wedding transport

MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Whats everybody doing for wedding tranport?

im considering just booking a taxi to be honest!

The church is 2 streets away from my house, so for that reason alone it just doesnt seem worth paying hundreds for a car does it?

Not to mention that I have no interest whatsoever in cars, I dont know or care about any makes or models, I only know what my car is because its all OH talked about for a long time when we got it! So its not as though I have fantasies of driving around in a particular fancy car.

OH gets 1 free wedding car from his work, which hes planning on using, but itll have to make another journey for his men. And then me and OH can use it to travel between venues and bridesmaids and men can go in a taxi.

Is anyone else thinking of not bothering? I dont have any interest in posing with a car or displaying photos of it, so it just seems a waste for a 2 minute drive.

But then the thought of squishing myself into the back of a taxi in my dress, is that practical?! Will I be a crumpled mess when I get out, will I get stuck? 

Itll cost £2 for a taxi 😂

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I'm not having any form of transport. We are having it all in one venue so if that weren't the case it may be different, but I will be arriving in either my or my mums car. I really don't see the point and in your situation if you have one free then I definitely wouldn't bother with one just to get you to the church. Either taxi or someone else's (clean) car. 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

I live close to the church where we married and we walked. I had an uncle on standby with a car in case it rained.

We hired an old routemaster to take us and all the guests to the reception.

I was at a wedding the other weekend where all the guests walked from the church back to the reception (either side of a tiny village)

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I thought about walking but Ill have 2 little girls with me so I dont want them tripping up or having any mishaps on the way, I also dont like the idea of everyone staring at us 😂 It would be ideal otherwise though, its so close

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

Have a bridesmaid / friend / mothers on hand to keep the girls upright.

I worried about that too, but it was actually really nice. It was a Friday lunchtime in the suburbs so there weren't  lot of people around and they kept a respectful distance and just smiled at us. It was actually a really nice part of the day.

At the weekend we saw no one who wasn't part of the wedding on the walk back.

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Why don't you book a people carrier or a six person taxi? Gives you a bit more room to manoeuvre!

We booked a taxi back from our reception to our hotel with a local company. I explained that it was our wedding night so they sent a slightly nicer car that hadn't had a steaming drunk with a kebab in just before! 😂 Might just be worth mentioning the purpose of your trip - I'm sure they can smarten up a car and driver for you! x