Who wears a buttonhole?

We're at the stage of organising flowers but I'm really not sure how many buttonholes we need 

Groom, Mother and father of Bride, Mother and father of Groom, Best man.

What about step parents? Ushers? Witnesses? Siblings? 

What have you decided?

• Indigo wrote (see post):

We're at the stage of organising flowers but I'm really not sure how many buttonholes we need 

Groom, Mother and father of Bride, Mother and father of Groom, Best man.

What about step parents? Ushers? Witnesses? Siblings? 

What have you decided?

we've just gotten them for fi and the groomsmen. I'm leaning towards walking myself down the aisle at the moment and my mum's not bothered about flowers particularly. 

• IndigoIndigo Posts: 12
    Futuremrsb95 wrote (see post):

we've just gotten them for fi and the groomsmen. I'm leaning towards walking myself down the aisle at the moment and my mum's not bothered about flowers particularly. 

I'm walking myself down the aisle too. 

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

We had them for groom, best man, father of the groom, father of the bride, and grooms' grandparents. We had corsages for mother of the bride, mother of the groom and step mum of the groom. This was only because we had a floral package though- I probably wouldn't have bothered with grandparents if we'd had to pay extra.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

Just for groom, best man, ushers and father of groom for me. No need for either siblings or grandparents as they aren't part of the bridal party.

• Indigo wrote (see post):
    Futuremrsb95 wrote (see post):

I'm walking myself down the aisle too. 

nice to hear from someone else whose is doing it :) it doesnt seem to be that popular, since dad passed it's been something i've had plenty of time to think about but not made the decision whether or not to any easier. 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

H2b, my brother whos walking me down the aisle, 2 best men and 2 ushers (h2bs brother among them), our 2 sons, fog, and then I havent thought about either of our stepfathers!

Mum. MIL and my stepmum are all having corsages. h2b doesnt think his stepmum should have one though.

And my 2 nans who are the only grandparents left And have both offered to contribute.

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Traditionally its the men of the bridal party which includes groom bestman ushers and brides father no one else.  The mother of the bride wears a corsage on her outfit. 

We have no ushers this time its my second marriage.   So just my matron of honours husband who is giving me away the groom and best man.  

Kitty

• AJ16AJ16 Posts: 89

We have ordered corsages for MOB and my Nanna. 

Buttonholes are for Best Man, Ushers (my brother is an usher), MOG, FOG, FOB, my Grandad and the Groom is having a slightly more fancy version to stand out!

I wanted everyone in the bridal party to be included and my grandparents are quite old school so would expect something as well! They do a lot for us so i wanted them to be included anyway to feel a bit special on the day. However my Mum is annoyed that we haven't ordered a button hole for every guest at the wedding!?! I've tried to explain that its far to expensive and not the done thing these days! haha x

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

My mum was also horrified that guests werent getting buttonholes, she said even just a carnation would be better than nothing 😂 Id rather not stick pins in my dress as a guest personally.

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Your right mrsj. The guests dont wear them only the bridal party.   I think it maybe another american thing for guests to wear flowers.

kitty

• Melanie YYWMelanie YYW Posts: 92 admin
    Hi all,

I know this thread is nearly a year old (how has time passed so quickly?!) but we've just written an article on this on the site, if anyone is after confirmation on who wears a buttonhole: 

https://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/wedding-fashion/groomswear/how-to-wear-a-buttonhole/