Forum home Planning

Videographer? To have or not to have...and also how much are you paying?!

HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Hey all, I know this has probably been done to death but have you decided to have one? 

We have never previously been that bothered but having put in so much effort planning I think it will be a nice momento of the day.

however, the only ones I am drawn to online seem to cost in the region of 2k! Which just seems far too expensive for a video that isn't going to be seen that often.

• LittlespiceLittlespice Posts: 665

I see it as essential! But then I probably would watch it back as I'm sentimental like that. I'm paying £1k.

• Bims09Bims09 Posts: 240 New bride

Hi Hails,

I really wasn't bothered about having a videographer either, until I saw a video that had been done for a friend's wedding. Completely changed my mind and suddenly I was adamant about having one

Mine is included in our photography package, which comes to £1400, so I think we got quite a good deal (though was still an extra £400 that we hadn't planned on spending!). Might be worth seeing if your photographer could suggest any suppliers that they've worked with before, who may be able to offer some kind of discounted rate?

I think it's a lovely memento but photos will also capture your day just fine.

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

We decided to have one- my sister didn't have one and deeply regrets it as she would love to be able to watch the ceremony and speeches back again. And another friend who did have one said they were so glad they did as they missed so much on the day, which they only saw by watching back the wedding video. These two testimonies were enough to make us decide to get one! However, it wasn't really in the budget so we looked for a cheap one. We don't need drones and cinematic style editing, just a well shot record of the day. The one we went with in the end was £600 (standard price was £500 but we paid £50 extra for them to stay late, and £50 for the raw footage as H2B wanted this). They have shot several weddings at our venue before and although not super stylish, the videos are good enough.

• Sammykate, can I ask who you're using? My friends is looking for the same kind of thing. Her fiance is going blind, so they really just want something he can listen to afterwards, rather than a fancy edited video and they're struggling to find someone.

• August18August18 Posts: 247

I saw a guy and loved him so we cut back in another area. ours was £1900 :'( ouch i know.  its a big chunk but we both fell in love with his style! we get a 6-10 min highlight and full length of ceremony and speeches. 

xxx

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

August who did you go for? You're in a similar area to me right, we have th same florist! 

• MrsMannMrsMann Posts: 757 New bride

We haven't totally decided, I would absolutely love one but don't really have the budget. We were going to set up a couple of go-pros but to be honest I would much rather have someone do it for us. I having been looking online and have found these guys. https://www.momentsvideos.co.uk/packages 

I am looking at the essential package which is £649 which is guests arriving, full ceremony, reception drinks, and full speeches before dinner which is all I need. The first dance and cake cutting etc. I am more than happy just to be filmed on phones/ go-pro. I have sent them a message to see if they are available on my wedding date. They are offering 20% off for weddings before 21st May and after 1st November 2017 - 31st March 2018.

I am tempted to leave it as long as possible to see if I can get a good last minute deal, however I think they are pretty reasonable for what I want. 

FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

Sammykate, can I ask who you're using? My friends is looking for the same kind of thing. Her fiance is going blind, so they really just want something he can listen to afterwards, rather than a fancy edited video and they're struggling to find someone.

We are using Cherish wedding films- http://www.cherishweddingfilms.com/

They used to have something on their front page saying 'ceremony only coverage, £295, full day coverage £495' but not anymore so not sure if they are still charging the same prices? They are based in the South West if that's any good for your friend.

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

We are using Cherish wedding films- http://www.cherishweddingfilms.com/

They used to have something on their front page saying 'ceremony only coverage, £295, full day coverage £495' but not anymore so not sure if they are still charging the same prices? They are based in the South West if that's any good for your friend.

Thank you :) I will pass it on to her.

Mrs Mann - I just got a reply from moments - they are free on my date and aren't horrifically expensive. Have sent off for a few more too, quite a few are booked already.

• MrsMannMrsMann Posts: 757 New bride
    Hails wrote (see post):

Mrs Mann - I just got a reply from moments - they are free on my date and aren't horrifically expensive. Have sent off for a few more too, quite a few are booked already.

Me too, they replied instantly which definitely isn't always the way with some suppliers! I miss out on the 20% by a couple of days as my wedding is on 26th October so may be cheeky and see if they can extend it which would take the price down to £519. I suppose there is no harm in asking! 

another option is the film your own. they send two video cameras one for a groomsman and the other for a bridesmaid and they video bits from the day, you send them off and the company edits them with music etc. Ive seen one finished and its actually really lovely. 

• Mrs NeekMrs Neek Posts: 445 New bride

We're having one, £800 for 2 videographer ( also has cheaper packages). He was recommended by our photographer. He's based in London. X

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

I'm definitely having and I'm going with Dreem Studios.. I'm not really sure what their prices are like now but they were in the £2k region.. 

Hails, I know you're near me -  here's their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/dreemstudios/ 

• AugustaAugusta Posts: 24

Try www.mytailormadewedding.com based in South West England 

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I initially didn't want one as thought I'd never watch it. But everywhere I looked brides were either saying that their video was their best wedding spend, or that it was their biggest regret that they didn't have one. I kept thinking about it and couldn't get it out of my mind that I might regret it as I only plan to do this once!

So I got one. They're not super expensive fancy cinematic films but actually I think the quality is pretty decent compared to all others I found for that price region, and my friend said she preferred my videographers sample videos to hers and she paid £2k. Mine is £525, full day coverage, a 4-5 min highlight film, a 25-30 min edited video and the uncut ceremony and speeches.

Jenni could I see the link? I've found some that are cheap but honestly the quality is awful!

• MrsC2018MrsC2018 Posts: 191 New bride

Like the company August18 suggested (unsure if same one), I have found a company in a bridal mag called Shoot It Yourself which send you the cameras to shoot the day and then they edit all the footage and the price ranges from 495 upwards. I am going to consider this as I like the idea of some natural footage with people arriving, mingling and giving messages etc. Not looked into too many local ones but they look about 1K average but I have plenty time to shop around

I hate myself on video but one of the reasons (and this sounds morbid) is that a video for a family party 10 years ago has three people on it who have since passed away, one including a young friend of mine and it also includes my grandma before she got frail and blind. Memories in photographs just are not the same.

Yeh I have seen those Shoot Yourself ones but I would rather pay a professional to do it.

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

We didn't have one, didn't miss having it. We spent big on our photography instead. We had a small wedding, mostly family, no speeches or first dance or grand entrance, all in one venue- so i just didnt feel we needed it. I know lots of people who got one and paid big and literally never look at it! But ppl have also said that about photo albums and I know we will look at ours lots, at least every anniversary!

• MrsC2018MrsC2018 Posts: 191 New bride
    Hails wrote (see post):

Yeh I have seen those Shoot Yourself ones but I would rather pay a professional to do it.

I'm still undecided and have to discuss with H2B but if we did go with above option we are quite lucky in that two of the wedding party are professional cameramen so they would probably do a lot of it for us and love the responsibility. Not sure about anyone else but I think it's a nice idea of including some guests who are close to B&G but are not involved in bridal party

• SpacepuffinSpacepuffin Posts: 664

We're not having one. We can't really justify the cost and we're not having speeches or a first dance. 

• elsyelsy Posts: 533

We didn't have one and whilst part of me would have liked to, realistically I think I'd probably only watch it back a couple of times (round about now when the wedding is still quite fresh but also feeling like a lifetime ago!) and then never again.

The day does go really quickly and there are some things that are a bit of a blur, for example, I don't really remember walking down the aisle much. I obviously did and I've seen the photos but it might have been nice to have things like that captured on video. And the speeches. Other than that though, I don't think there's much else that I would have wanted filming.
    We were both adamant that we wanted a really good photographer and I think for us, that was more important than a videographer. We'll look back at photos far more than we will a video, and are planning to get some printed etc for on the walls.

Sorry Hails I missed your reply... we went with Handcraft pictures 

http://www.handcraftpictures.com/samples/ 

Xx

• Lady LuckLady Luck Posts: 29

We had one and I'm really glad we did. There were so many things that I missed on the day. I loved seeing my husband getting ready and waiting for me at the church and vice Versa. My daughters (born after we married) also love watching it every now and again.

Our videograohers offered a same day edit, so at the evening reception they showed a 5 minute edit of the day to Barry White 'my first, my last my everything' which was fab and got everyone in the dancing spirit! 

If you have the budget, then I would go for it

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

I am a huge advocate of videographers. I can say hands down that it was the best thing we spent money on for our wedding day (ours were £2000 but we had a drone, the guys were using top spec equipment and you have to factor in editing time and their 16 hour working day into that!). My husband, who blasted me for booking videographers without checking with him at first, said as soon as we went on honeymoon that he was most looking forward to seeing the video when it was ready. We watch our highlights video at least once a month and we tend to whip out the feature film whenever friends come around :') We don't make a ritual of it - we just love to watch it back whenever we feel like it (which is often)!

We wouldn't have ever picked anyone else to photograph our wedding and we're delighted with our wedding photos, but a video brings the day back to life in a way photos could never achieve. Our parents and anyone else who has seen the video (especially the longer one) has commented on how wonderful it is to see the day played out again. I also feel that the video captures parts of the day that our photographer wouldn't have been able to get: when I watch my mum reading our prayers on our ceremony video, you can see through my movements and facial expressions how I'm overcome with the emotion of the day (I thought I was actually really calm at the time!). Our photographer was taking photos of my mum at that moment and shots of us from behind so he would have never seen that. Even if he did, I don't think you would've seen the emotion in the same way. And honestly, nothing is more magical than watching yourself walk down the aisle and saying your vows to each other. 

I think how much you're willing to pay completely depends on what you want from the end product, but all I will say is that:

a) Your wedding day does pass in a complete blur so if you're worried about missing bits, a video is the perfect way to fill in the gaps.
    b) You will never get your wedding day again. I know it's difficult to imagine beforehand, but once you've experienced the magic and elation of a wedding day, things like a video are the few things you can refer back to in the years to come, even if it's not very often. You can't get those moments captured again and whilst you think you'll remember them well, the memories do fade over time. In my opinion, it is priceless to have them captured. My husband was someone who didn't see the value before our wedding day happened, but the fact that the video is his favourite thing should hopefully go some way to convince you guys sitting on the fence that you don't always realise how valuable something is until the moment has passed! Just ruddy get one  x

• Mimi8Mimi8 Posts: 316 New bride

My daughter wanted one but we didn't have much budget left ! We are in Gloucestershire and chose Cherish , can't remember exact figure but was less than £600 for 1 pm until 8.30 ish . I was worried about the quality of the video but we were absolutely delighted with the finished product and we are all glad we have them to look back on 

Mimi8 wrote (see post):

My daughter wanted one but we didn't have much budget left ! We are in Gloucestershire and chose Cherish , can't remember exact figure but was less than £600 for 1 pm until 8.30 ish . I was worried about the quality of the video but we were absolutely delighted with the finished product and we are all glad we have them to look back on 

Mimi I am also using Cherish! So glad to hear that you were happy with them as them being so cheap also has me a tiny bit skptical about the quality. If there's any other comments about them that you have then I will be happy to hear any!

MrsC2018 wrote (see post):
    Hails wrote (see post):

I'm still undecided and have to discuss with H2B but if we did go with above option we are quite lucky in that two of the wedding party are professional cameramen so they would probably do a lot of it for us and love the responsibility. Not sure about anyone else but I think it's a nice idea of including some guests who are close to B&G but are not involved in bridal party

To be honest I feel those film-it-yourself companies are a bit of a rip off. They seem to cost around £500 which isn't much different from what my videographer is costing! And I don't want my guests filming on the day- for one thing I want them enjoying themselves, not worrying about getting stuff on film. You are lucky that you have experienced cameramen in your wedding party- my 2nd concern would be that the guests filming would miss things, frame them badly, get bad sound quality etc.