How did you choose your dress? And know it was "the one"

Libby13Libby13 Posts: 244 New bride

Hi everyone 

Ive just started dress shopping for my wedding next year and I'm struggling. I've been to 4 different dress shops and tried on around 10 dresses in each. I've liked almost all of the ones I have tried on and I now have a clear idea of exactly what I want. I can't seem to find a dress that has everything I want though, it's almost like I want to put together elements of each dress to make the perfect one. 

There are 2 or 3 that stand out as my top favourites and I think they are very nice, but I haven't had a "wow" moment in any of them - how did you know your dress was the one?! How many shops did you go to? 

Should I keep dress shopping or do I risk complicating it further by adding in more options? I've been taking people with me when trying on the dresses but they like most of them too and can't decide

Also an extra question, one of the dresses in my top 3 is an off the peg dress so you buy it exactly how it is, it's the only dress left and I buy it in that size. It has been worn once on a catwalk and the shop have not/will not dry clean it... Is this normal? There is also a tiny tear in the train. The dress has £500 off due to it being worn before, but would you try to get more money off for these reasons? Thanks!

• Emma624Emma624 Posts: 137

I went to Wed2be where you buy your dress off the rack - the very first dress I had on I put on hold - I always had my heart on a elegant long sleeved lacy dress and yet they did not suit me and showed my mummy tummy, I felt the strapless was a lot more flattering - however I went against this from the start as although I'm curvy I have zero boobs which meant I would have no cleavage in a strapless dress. 

When I got to about the fifth dress everyone gasped, it was strapless but straight rather than sweet heart neckline so the no boobs didn't really matter, I then knew it was the one - the dress on hold was out and my mind was made up - more from other people's reactions than my own - I didn't have the emotional moment where I cried even when the veil was put on - I just thought it was flattering and I looked good - I think we build these moments up too much and we put too much pressure on ourselves to have the perfect dress - sometimes it doesn't exist and you may go back to one of your top three. I wish you luck in finding the one but don't worry if you don't have the moment xxx

• Libby13Libby13 Posts: 244 New bride
    Emma624 wrote (see post):

I went to Wed2be where you buy your dress off the rack - the very first dress I had on I put on hold - I always had my heart on a elegant long sleeved lacy dress and yet they did not suit me and showed my mummy tummy, I felt the strapless was a lot more flattering - however I went against this from the start as although I'm curvy I have zero boobs which meant I would have no cleavage in a strapless dress. 

When I got to about the fifth dress everyone gasped, it was strapless but straight rather than sweet heart neckline so the no boobs didn't really matter, I then knew it was the one - the dress on hold was out and my mind was made up - more from other people's reactions than my own - I didn't have the emotional moment where I cried even when the veil was put on - I just thought it was flattering and I looked good - I think we build these moments up too much and we put too much pressure on ourselves to have the perfect dress - sometimes it doesn't exist and you may go back to one of your top three. I wish you luck in finding the one but don't worry if you don't have the moment xxx

Hi Emma, thanks for your reply! How exciting that you've found your perfect dress :) I think you're right about putting too much pressure on ourselves, we imagine it like how we see on tv with people crying and saying yes to the dress! But in reality its not always like that!

I went to Wed2B last weekend for my first time dress shopping, and one of those dresses are in my top 3 and I have put it on hold for 2 weeks, I just don't know if I like the other two more (I think I do!) I tried the wed2b on for a second time yesterday and it probably is the most flattering of all 3 but it seems to ruche up a bit at the front and theres nothing that can be done to get rid of this which is bugging me a bit!

I think I may have to go back and try all 3 again and go with my gut. I just feel so pressured with 2 of them being off the peg, one of them is the last one left and cannot be ordered at all agh! 

• Beatrice25Beatrice25 Posts: 224 New bride

I went to a sample sale for a nosey with my mum and picked up loads. I thought I wanted a tight lace mermaid dress but ended up with something completely different! The first one I tried on was the one I brought in the end. I picked it to try on first as I thought I would never buy it and my mum even went 'eewwww don't you want to pick a better one first'. Once it was on though me and mum cried and fell in love, even little old dears walking past were cheering and crying! I tried on numerous dresses after and lots of different styles and just kept wanting to get changed back into the original.

As it was in the sale I had to make the decision to buy it there and then. I was really worried at first as it was the first time I'd tried on a wedding dress before and I had booked other appointments. I decided to buy it and still go to another shop for my appointment to try on a dress I had pinned on pinterest and was really nervous incase I'd changed my mind. I went with my mum and mother in law this time round and again no dress compared.

For me I knew it was mine because I always think about it and I'm always desperate to put it back on! I would say though to try on everything even if you think you'd hate it and to choose carefully who you go with. I found the 2nd time round going with my mum and mother in law stressful - there were too many opinions floating about and my MIL is definitely more traditional so we weren't agreeing anyway haha.

I'm sure you will find the dress which you love, good luck! x

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

I tried on loads in different shops to sort out what constituent parts i wanted, silhouette and fabric, waist line, neckline etc, and then i ordered one online that had them all! I knew it was the one because when it was taken in and fit properly, I cried and felt excited as this was the dress i would get married in, like i could imagine it. The other dresses just felt like nice dresses. 

• Emma624Emma624 Posts: 137

I have already had my day Libby back in Feb and I forgot to mention I did get lots of compliments on my dress on the day - although if you are the bride everyone has to comment on the dress lol xxx

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 837 New bride

I put it on and felt soooo comfortable! It felt like a second skin, and I loved the shape it gave me. I had tried on some more princessy dresses in the first shop I went to (the dress came from the second shop we visited) expecting to like them more, but it felt a bit like the dresses were wearing me, and I was playing dress up almost! So took a little while to get my head around it, and I eventually went for a fitted lace number. took my mum sister and one other of my BMs and no one cried - I watched the to shows and thought this was a thing! But they were all full of oohs and aahs! 

Went back the following week to try it again along with other dresses of lots of different styles just to be sure and it was the clear winner! 

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I would keep looking at other shops.

I went to 6 shops in total and found my dress in the last one. I loved 3 dresses and was going to choose one of those 3, but thought I would try one more shop that did Mori Lee (one dress I liked was Mori Lee, but I wasn't sure and wanted to try more on), and I found the dress I loved more than any of them, for me it had the best of all the bits I liked on the other dresses. I am glad I didn't stop at "the best of the ones I liked"

• LittleOne89LittleOne89 Posts: 388 New bride
    Libby13 wrote (see post):

Hi everyone 

Ive just started dress shopping for my wedding next year and I'm struggling. I've been to 4 different dress shops and tried on around 10 dresses in each. I've liked almost all of the ones I have tried on and I now have a clear idea of exactly what I want. I can't seem to find a dress that has everything I want though, it's almost like I want to put together elements of each dress to make the perfect one. 

There are 2 or 3 that stand out as my top favourites and I think they are very nice, but I haven't had a "wow" moment in any of them - how did you know your dress was the one?! How many shops did you go to? 

Should I keep dress shopping or do I risk complicating it further by adding in more options? I've been taking people with me when trying on the dresses but they like most of them too and can't decide

Also an extra question, one of the dresses in my top 3 is an off the peg dress so you buy it exactly how it is, it's the only dress left and I buy it in that size. It has been worn once on a catwalk and the shop have not/will not dry clean it... Is this normal? There is also a tiny tear in the train. The dress has £500 off due to it being worn before, but would you try to get more money off for these reasons? Thanks!

In regards to the last point- usually a shop will offer to clean it up and make any repairs as part of the deal for buying a sample. i bought a sample dress and the seamstress spent 7+ hours on repairing the beading. I would try to get more money off if they won't clean it for you. 

how did I know my dress was 'the one'? I saw no other dress like it and spent a whole year thinking about it!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I went to five stores and tried on so many dresses! I could find a dress I liked but there was always something holding me back from saying yes. Once I found my dress I knew it was for me, I didn't have any dress doubts over the neckline, length, sleeves. It had everything I wanted. I have never had dress doubts since picking my dress, plenty of accessory doubts but never dress doubts. 

• DavenDaven Posts: 1

I have gone to three wedding dress store. Then I found it in the last store.Just a kind of feeling, I know it is the one by the first sight.

• MissSMissS Posts: 267 New bride

I didn't want to try on my dress but had tried most of the other ones on in the shop by that point- liked a few but nothing I LOVED! My dress is completely different to what I thought I wanted- when I put it in I literally couldn't take it off! It was the first shop I had been into though so went to a few other shops but I didn't enjoy the experience because I just knew that was my dress! sometimes I have dress wobbles cos I haven't seen a dress like mine before but then I look at the picture of me in it and get butterflies again! Your`ll know when you know! x

• KT80KT80 Posts: 110

You will know when it is the right dress as you will feel like a princess - it will have EVERYTHING you want & you won't want to take it off!!

I got mine in the first shop I tried - I tried on about 10 dresses & liked a couple but they weren't quite right, then they handed me mine & said would you consider trying this one? I thought mmmm looks a bit simple but I'm open to anything. And it blew me away. I LOVED it & felt SO amazing in it. 

You'll just know!