Table plans

Hi,

I am sure this has been asked before but your advice would be appreciated. We have just done our first pass at our table plan.

We have kept friends and family at separate tables, this has led to random numbers of people on each table. Which is a little messy as the tables don't have the same number of people, we however think it's ok.

My H2B thinks it's fine, I am on the fence, I want it to be as perfect as possible.

Having just spoken to my mum, she suggested mixing, so a couple of my family, a couple of H2B's family and friends all together. We are both unsure.

Any thoughts about what you are doing or did would be greatly appreciated! 

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Hello!

It's a tricky one!  

Although some people like to mix their guests up so that they can meet new people and members of each other's families, I prefer to put people who know each other together.

I think weddings are a wonderful time for cousins and uncles and relatives and friends who haven't seen each other for a while to catch up, and the conversation should in theory be less awkward than if they were at tables with strangers.

If I was going to a wedding I would much rather be put on a table with people I knew - I'm not anti-social, but I would like to relax and enjoy the day and sometimes meals can go on a long time.  I was once (many years ago) put on a table with my husband and 4 other couples of varying ages who obviously didn't want to talk - I felt awkward trying to make conversation and then more awkward when I finally gave up as it was embarrassing getting blanked! Maybe that experience has stuck with me!

Perhaps if you had tables where everyone knew at least someone (if that makes sense) it would work, so that there was someone familiar to talk to at first and then it would be easier to draw in everyone around the table?

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

I'm putting people who know each other together, there are a couple of mixes but gene everyone will know another couple etc on their table which has led to random numbers unfortunately but I would rather people are happy with who they are sat with than being awkward with people they don't know. Hopefully once everyone is seated and the room is full you won't notice that the tables are odd! 

• We've grouped people together, e.g. My family, his family, my friends... We thought it was better and more enjoyable for people to sit with others they know. I went to one wedding where they mixed everyone up and as someone else has said it was a little awkward and people rushed off to the bar at the earliest opportunity.

It does mean we have slightly odd numbers, mostly tables of 8 and then a 6 and a 7, but we figured once everyone has sat down you won't even notice!

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

We are grouping too, I know I've always had a better time at weddings when the people on the table are people I know. Although you're sitting for long really!!!