Wedding rings?

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum - planning our wedding for 7 September 2018!

I must admit I've been extremely organised and there's no much planning left for me to do so just thinking ahead on everything.

I have a question about engagement/wedding rings I hope someone might be able to help with.

I'm hoping to get a wedding ring which either has engraving on the band, or perhaps a few small stones in it. I'm not wanting anything too chunky though and I don't like the look of a plain band with my engagement ring and my stubby fingers!

My engagement ring has a platinum band though and it seems that wedding rings made in platinum are a lot more expensive than say white gold and I'm struggling to afford the style that I'd like. Do the two rings need to be made out of the same material?

I know the different metals have different properties but I I guess I just want to choose a wedding ring that won't suffer or be deteriorated by the platinum engagement ring next to it.

Thanks!

x

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Have you looked at alba rose? I found them way more affordable than anywhere else.

• Kelly241Kelly241 Posts: 392 New bride

I've always been informed that two different metals shouldn't be put next to each other (I think) because the stronger metal will rub / wear down the 'cheaper' metal.

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

You can get platinum for a reasonable price on Elma Jewellery, perhaps look there?

• Thanks.

My engagement ring comes from Aspire Diamonds in the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter so I think OH was keen to return there for the wedding rings. I will certainly research the suggested companies though and arm myself with as much information as possible.

We probably won't even shop for them until next year - I've just run out of other planning to do at this stage!

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

My engagement ring was from Hatton garden - platinum. I found high st jewellers to have really expensive platinum wedding bands so went where the price was good!

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

My engagement ring was made in haton garden too and when I went back for a plain band, they wanted to charge me a few hundred more than what I found online for the same thing. Shop around online x

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,122 New bride

Like hails my engagement ring was from hatton garden too, much more reasonable than the high street and my ring is an antique so pretty unique!!

I would recommend shopping around at some more independent unique shops as you may get a better deal. 

They do need to be the same metal and the same karat, so I will be getting an 18k gold wedding ring so it doesn't damage my engagement ring for example x 

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

My plain platinum wedding ring was very reasonable (about £200) in the Blue Nile sale - they often have 15% or 20% off.  The same ring would have been £600 in the high street shops.

I've had a diamond set ring from them before - again very much cheaper than on the high street - about half the price.

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

I got my platinum and diamond wedding ring off ebay, it was a seller who has a shop in Hatton Garden and also sells on there. So may be worth a look. It was half the price of a high street store.

• Got my from the jewellery quarter, as we went back to the same shop they gave us an extra 10% off just for asking. I have a 1/3 set platinum diamond band that's engraved and was £800

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Lots of great places to shop here hun, as far as the metals go yes platinum is much stronger than gold and you must also consider the caret of the netal that is how much gold or platinum is in it.  What caret is your eR?   

• The only other metal you can put next to platinum is palladium. It's part of the same family of metals, it's basically platinums little brother, same properties but not as rare or precious. 

If you are trying to save money consider buying this year rather than next. I work at a jewellers and have seen quite a steep rise in palladium prices in the past few months, so you may end up paying more for the same thing next year

• Gold is the way to go, in my opinion. If you get platinum, be prepared to either get it polished semi-frequently or put up with the dull, scratched look. I suggest that you look for wedding rings online (   https://pawnbat.ca/jewelry/rings/wedding-rings/  ) . Hope it helps:)

• david.miller123xdavid.miller123x Posts: 1 New bride
    edited March 2019
    New to the forum too! Me and my (future) wife are planning our wedding. She's originally from the UK and i'm from the US. 

So we're getting married in countryside Brighton but still need to visit the wedding location. I have 1 day "off" while she is doing family stuff and on that day i want to buy an awesome wedding ring in or near Brighton.

This needs to be a surprise, but i'm finding it extremely so hard to make a choice. 

I'm guessing my "big"/ "stupid" questions are:
    - If the budget is US$7k (GBP5k- for her ring only), would women prefer a larger diamond or a better designed ring, for example by a famous local designer so the ring has some sort of story?
    - Is gold + diamond always the way to go? I know she usually doesn't really like gold, but maybe for her wedding ring she does? 
    - Would you pay premium for an international brand instead?

She is totally in love with Brighton, so if anyone can help me with names of local jewelry shops or designers, that would be great. 

Another option i had in mind was to use both of our locks of hair to create a wedding ring from our own hair, by using this service from a company called "Heart In Diamond" https://www.heart-in-diamond.co.uk/diamond-wedding-rings.html (not sure if there are others). Anyone experience with them or any other similar service in the UK? Delivery time seems awfully long, but if i decide soon, i should be able to make it in time.

Finally, i came across "Julian Stephens" but i'm not sure about the designs (at all), it seems vintage.

Anyway, this became a really long first post! Any insight is very very welcome!

David