String Quartet - Yay/Nay/When?!

Hi everyone,

I saw a string quartet playing at a wedding fayre recently and fell in love with the idea, but I've been indecisive since as to when it would fit into the day.

I initially jumped to the idea of having them play during the wedding breakfast, but I get the impression having a quartet during the drinks reception is a more popular choice.

If I have them for the wedding breakfast... I think it's perfect because all the guests will be there to benefit and it feels like a really classy addition to the day.

If I have them for the drinks reception... Groom and I will probably miss most of their performing whilst photos are being taken, and so selfishly it feels like a waste!

If I have them for the drinks reception and the wedding breakfast... maybe it's the best of both worlds, but I'm nervous guests would be bored of the idea by the breakfast, and then moving between rooms could be disrupting.

Am I missing obvious downsides to having a quartet during the breakfast? Has anybody got advice?? I'm completely stuck!

Thank you in advance :)

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

We are just having the ceremony and drinks reception (entertainment for while we have a few photos) 

I think people will be chatting and amused during the wedding breakfast, speechs etc so we haven’t bothered. Our string quartet did have the option though so it must be popular. We just thought it was a bit overkill for our small wedding x 

• I think its a bit of a waste to have them playing during the meal when people will be chatting... (not to mention how soul-destroying it is for the musicians to have to keep playing when nobody's actually listening to you!).  Ceremony and drinks reception/before the meal makes more sense imho.

• HelenNHelenN Posts: 131 New bride

I’ve been to a wedding that had a pianist play solely at the wedding breakfast, it was brilliant! Lovely to sit, eat and chat with background music and the guy was AMAZING! He also took a few song requests from our table (we were sat the closest to him) and everyone I spoke to during the day commented on good the pianist was. 

I think there were a few children at the wedding so he also played a few disney/pixar songs (Under the sea, You’ve got a friend in me). The kids loved it but I also think the adults probably enjoyed these just as much ☺️

We’ve booked a saxophonist to play at the ceremony, drinks reception and breakfast x

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,474 New bride

Yay for me.  I love them.  We are using The Whitehall String Quartet, and have them booked for the ceremony, drinks reception, and wedding breakfast.  It wasn't originally in my budget, but my Dad loved them, and so he and my Mum offered to pay half on top.

The quartet said they get a lot of people wanting them to play during the breakfast.  You would normally have some kind of light background music anyway, and we just felt it was something that would add to the day, and make it a bit more special. 

• MrsH12MrsH12 Posts: 511 New bride

i had a string quartet play during the ceremony and drinks reception, all the guests loved it

Hubby and I did miss some of it during the drinks reception but we were talking to people, having pics taken etc so we didn't mind and people still say 18 months on how much they liked them 

• Libby13Libby13 Posts: 244 New bride

We are saving a bit of money by having a string trio instead of a quartet and they are playing as guests arrive into the church, for my entrance, and for signing of the register. They are then playing at our drinks reception 

• We have hired a ceilidh band for the evening, but they will also be playing a string duo during the ceremony and drinks reception, not quite sure how it will work, but i'm sure it will be lovely

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

We had them play for our ceremony and drinks reception. Seems a waste during the wedding breakfast when people have other things to think about, plus you pay them by the hours they are there, not the hours they play, and we had speeches first, so would have been abit pointless paying them to sit around during that. I was a little sad however that I didn't get to hear them too much during the drinks reception as we were getting photos taken, but still worth it imo. 

• I've seen it remarked on this forum many times that the string quarter basically went unnoticed/ unheard when scheduled during the breakfast. I can say that for my previous that the din would absolutely have drown them out if we had had one.

On the other hand, I think they are FAB to have during the ceremony and/ or drinks reception. For a reception, it's such a nice way to present the music (versus non-live music like an iPod) and it's different than either a piano or an organ. My sister had one for her August wedding and they played the theme song from a fav family film (that's also done by quartet in the film) and there wasn't a dry eye in the room. I just don't think that it would have had the same effect via iPod. As for the drinks reception, I think it adds a bit of class and gives it that "something" that's needed, especially in the beginning as people are just beginning to trickle in. There's nothing more awkward than a lack of noise during a reception.

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,347 New bride

Ours is playing during guest arrival, ceremony and drinks reception. Initially booked a trip but upgraded to a Quartet. Trying to decide our songs but so difficult as we both like different things!

• Thanks guys for all your help :) I think you're convincing me to have them for both the drinks reception and the breakfast... that way the guests probably hear them during drinks while there won't be much entertainment,  but I don't miss out either!

Another question...have you all gone for solely modern music? Or any classical too? :)

Thanks!

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,474 New bride
    Mkay92 wrote (see post):

Thanks guys for all your help :) I think you're convincing me to have them for both the drinks reception and the breakfast... that way the guests probably hear them during drinks while there won't be much entertainment,  but I don't miss out either!

Another question...have you all gone for solely modern music? Or any classical too? :)

Thanks!

We haven't decided on the playlist yet, but we will do a mix.  

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

I think we will just have modern and a few Disney ones too as we have 5 Kids atttnding x