People trying to invite themselves

I need to rant.

So invites have gone out and we’re getting our RSVPs. I’ve just had someone message me asking if they can be upgraded to the whole day along with their husband and 2 kids!

i am literally shocked at the nerve of people asking to be upgraded. They’re evening guests for a reason! Sorry needed to rant!

How do I handle the situation? 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,471 New bride

OMG how rude.  

Unfortunately, much as we would love to accommodate everyone for the full day, as we are sure you know, it isn't always possible because of venue restrictions, costs etc.  We look forward to celebrating with you in the evening though!  

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

Oh my god, how rude.  Just tell them I'm sorry we're working on a tight guest list number.  

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

Wow, is that actually a thing once invites go out? We've had a few people go "ooh can I come" when we've mentioned our destination wedding - we've said if anyone is willing to travel to watch us get married then the more the merrier as we think we're well within reason on numbers - BUT once invites had gone out, who on earth does that? Asks to be upgraded? It's just odd. And rude.

I'd just politely reply and say I'm really sorry but we're really restricted with numbers and costs and we're struggling to accommodate everyone we would love to have there. You could add that if anything changes ie your budget opens up or, more likely, you get declines, you could add people / "upgrade them", but maybe better to not give people false hope!

• I don't have much to add to what others have already said about how to respond - but WOW how rude!!! I'd be half tempted out of spite to completely un-invite them if they had the nerve to ask to be upgraded haha! x

Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread
  • Amy491Amy491 Posts: 58

That’s so rude! Did they give any reasons why?