Forum home Planning

What's your colour scheme?

AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride

Just out of interest really! I know the big trend atm is blush pink, rose gold and ivory so just wondering who's going down that route and what other things people are doing?

Our main colour is mustard yellow with oranges and reds as the secondary colours. There'll be a few bits of blush pink dotted around to soften it and loads of green foliage. And any metallics used will be gold or copper.

We picked these colours because yellow is my favourite and my obsession, and green is OHs favourite so we knew we needed lots of foliage. Then I thought photos of red flowers were super dramatic and in my life if it's not yellow, it's pink. I don't really do any other colours haha and OH loves scandi inspired copper geometrics :)

The colours will mostly be evident in my flowers, the centrepieces and all the paper cranes I'm making to hang in the barn. The bridesmaids will also wear yellow :)

EDIT: I made these for visuals...

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,355 New bride

Ours were white and silver with hints of burgundy. Our venue was all white with these huge burgundy velvet curtains. I decided not to fight them and include the colour in the day.

Bridesmaids were in silver / grey, flowers were all white (mostly roses, lisianthus and gypsophilia - we did the flowers ourselves)

Invites and save the dates were white with silver lettering and a burgundy ribbon. Menu cards where white with silver boarders and lettering in burgundy. Table names were white card with a silver pattern on one side and burgundy lettering.

We had a very 'antique' feel to the patterns and lettering. Our venue was a Victorian pub which was quite Georgian in feel.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

We are doing navy blue, gold, champagne, silver (basically all the metallics lol) and then things like my dress, the linen etc is all white.

H2B insisted blue be involved as it's his favourite colour (and his football teams colour) so I compromised and said only if it's daaaark navy. As it's a december wedding I added in the golds and metallics as those are colours I love at Christmas. Our coloirs are found in our decor such as the favour boxes being navy with gold ribbon, the chair sashes are navy satin, centre pieces are gold etc etc, and the BM dresses are navy.

We are actually avoiding the colours in our flowers as I didnt want any dyed flowers or fake ones and finding navy and gold flowers in real life is tricky haha so our flowers are mostly foliage with some white flowers being used (though I think we are adding in some thistle which has a blue hue to it)

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride

We've gone navy, blush/ dusky pink and with bits of gold as accents. I didn't want anything too pale, and H2B really wants a navy suit!

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Hol90Hol90 Posts: 34

We had champagne accents, but everything was predominantly ivory - so very classic! We got married in December so we thought it would suit nicely.

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I always wanted a gold themed wedding since I can remember, and it so happened to be coming right into fashion when we got engaged 3 years ago! So for our day last year, I ended up with ivory and champagne, but tiny bits of pink did evolve into there by the day (only in my bouquet and the BMs skirts). 

I just wanted to send over a virtual high five to Awhelengt, as I am a fellow mustard yellow obsessive, again, since LONG before it come majorly into fashion for this year! I a not complaining though as mustard yellow stuff was always really hard to come by but it is all over the place at the moment so I am stocking up! 

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

We don't really have one...

H2B, BM and my sons will be in Navy suits with we think a tweed waistcoat but who knows they haven't tried any on yet.

My flowers will be foliage and white or I toyed with the idea of a brooch bouquet.  My daughter will have white petals which she will/won't throw as she walks in front of me (I'm going with won't!).  No buttonholes. Aisle will be decorated with candles and white petals.

Centre pieces will be gold/copper frames with foliage and hanging candles

I'm still really worried if it is all going to work together but for the time being we are just going with it

• Ivory & silver/grey, with small hints of champagne, blue & black 

Js suit is dark blue with champagne trim, my bouquet will have champagne ribbon 

bridesmaids are in silver/grey & ivory 

stationary will be mostly silver/grey and ivory but small hints of black (maybe ribbon) 

chair sashes will be a mix of silver and black 

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride
    Jenni8 wrote (see post):

I always wanted a gold themed wedding since I can remember, and it so happened to be coming right into fashion when we got engaged 3 years ago! So for our day last year, I ended up with ivory and champagne, but tiny bits of pink did evolve into there by the day (only in my bouquet and the BMs skirts). 

I just wanted to send over a virtual high five to Awhelengt, as I am a fellow mustard yellow obsessive, again, since LONG before it come majorly into fashion for this year! I a not complaining though as mustard yellow stuff was always really hard to come by but it is all over the place at the moment so I am stocking up! 

Me too!! I like different things and wearing yellow used to be such a statement so I'm a bit disappointed it's so mainstream now but like you I'm stocking up for when it goes out again!

We recently had a bit of a battle with our landlords over me painting the front door sunflower yellow! (We asked if we could paint the door, they said yes, we painted it, 3 months later they said they didn't realise we meant yellow and they didn't like it and we were like "well that sounds like a You kind of problem ").

We live opposite a primary school and I'm pretty sure the kids will think of me as the yellow lady when I go out from my house with the yellow door and all yellow curtains, in a yellow coat , with a baby in a yellow coat as well hahaha 

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride

We're going mega colourful. We're hanging lots of brightly coloured lanterns including fuchsia, teal, orange and yellow. Our venue is very industrial and urban looking so would look odd if we chose a more traditional colour scheme.

I'm wearing ivory, royal blue and silver mostly. I have blue shoes and a blue petticoat (I have a tea length dress) and I plan on carrying a bright colourful bouquet and my best woman will (hopefully) be in navy with lots of brightly coloured accessories (shoes, jewellery, belt) and a smaller version of my bright bouquet.

My current venue mood board looks like this:

• Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

We had a dark teal. We’d originally planned for a sky blue or light turquoise, but then my MOH tried on a teal dress and we loved the colour, so ended up changing the whole scheme on the basis of her dress!

We did also have turquoise uplighters all around the room which lightened it a bit, but it was a winter wedding so I wasn’t worried about having a darker colour 

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

We're going mega colourful. We're hanging lots of brightly coloured lanterns including fuchsia, teal, orange and yellow. Our venue is very industrial and urban looking so would look odd if we chose a more traditional colour scheme.

I'm wearing ivory, royal blue and silver mostly. I have blue shoes and a blue petticoat (I have a tea length dress) and I plan on carrying a bright colourful bouquet and my best woman will (hopefully) be in navy with lots of brightly coloured accessories (shoes, jewellery, belt) and a smaller version of my bright bouquet.

My current venue mood board looks like this:

HOLY CRAP I LOVE THAT 😍😍😍

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

We really like a very pale blue/grey for bridesmaids and I want all white flowers with a bit of foliage and maybe some rose gold/Copper accents in the decorations. Our venue has so many different flowers out around the time we get married theyll inject some colour so I want to keep things very soft and light and bright. We’ll maybe try and tie in the pale bluey grey elsewhere - grooms men’s ties etc and in some of the stationery. I want to use copper foiling on the stationery to tie that in too. We get married in Italy so I just want it to look lovely and bright and clean and simple. It doesn’t sound like much of a colour scheme though compared to some people’s! 

• Ali217Ali217 Posts: 62

We’ve gone for a deep, dark green (so loads of foliage!) copper and cream/white colour scheme. My original plan for bridesmaids was green skirts and cream tops but this ended up being more faff than expected so we now have some beautiful rose gold dresses that fit in with the copper.

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

This was ours, with silver at the venue too. The men wore navy blue.

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

Our colours are deep purple, copper and cream :) it was originally purple, dusky pink and cream but I saw a display tabor set up with the copper and fell in love so it all had to change! 

Maid of honour is wearing deep purple, bridesmaids (my daughter's 6 & 8- They insist they are not flowegirls) are wearing ivory dresses with deep purple bows. Flowers will have a mix of all 3 colours. Tables have bronze runners and the chairs have a double bow of purple and bronze. Centrepiece are purple Ns cream flowers with a candle and on wood x

• I did dusty lavender, white, and various greens for my previous.  I honestly didn't like how it turned out at all. The florist jumbled whites with ivories, which really didn't look good, and didn't use enough lavender at all. The net effect IMO was funeral flowers.  It wasn't just the flowers, there just wasn't enough impact to the colour scheme, it was too blah for my liking.

I love some of the ideas on here, esp the mustard yellow.  I too have always loved that colour! There are a lot of pictures circulating on Pinterest with brides wearing various shades of yellow cardigans and jackets; the contrast with the white dress is so stunning!

KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

I did dusty lavender, white, and various greens for my previous.  I honestly didn't like how it turned out at all. The florist jumbled whites with ivories, which really didn't look good, and didn't use enough lavender at all. The net effect IMO was funeral flowers.  It wasn't just the flowers, there just wasn't enough impact to the colour scheme, it was too blah for my liking.

I love some of the ideas on here, esp the mustard yellow.  I too have always loved that colour! There are a lot of pictures circulating on Pinterest with brides wearing various shades of yellow cardigans and jackets; the contrast with the white dress is so stunning!

Sounds dramatic but I live in fear of that 😂😂😂 I want high impact drama and if it's blah I'll be so upset.

People tell me I won't even notice but I have a looot of mental health problems and can have a total breakdown if I order a pizza and they forget the garlic dip. I don't deal well with change or disappointment 😬😬😬

Lavender and green is a lovely scheme though!

• Our colour scheme is baby pink and rose gold. Our page boy suits have pink shirts! 

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,432 New bride

This is our colour theme now. Originally it was pastel pink, lilac and peach.

• I;m nice and simple - All navy and white, bridesmaids are navy maxi dress with fresh gip in there hair and white rose and gyp flowers, keeping it minimalist ! 

My brothers wedding was pastel - so 4 bridesmaids in different pastel dresses, the cake different pastel colours, the decorations all different, it was ok but not my thing hence why im sticking simple BUT now im seeing the metallics with the navy im jealous, but 9 weeks to go i cant go changing my mind! xx

• Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 686 New bride

We didnt have one. We had multi coloured pompoms and 'flowers' were foliage like ivy, ferns, herbs with some thistles and berries and stuff. I couldn't settle on a few colours so had them all! I'd no BMs to match anyway. We had multi coloured streamers and garlands and stuff too. 

• MrsMGMrsMG Posts: 360 New bride

Ours was navy, purple and red 

• Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

Sounds dramatic but I live in fear of that 😂😂😂 I want high impact drama and if it's blah I'll be so upset.

People tell me I won't even notice but I have a looot of mental health problems and can have a total breakdown if I order a pizza and they forget the garlic dip. I don't deal well with change or disappointment 😬😬😬

Lavender and green is a lovely scheme though!

I agree, lavender and green would have been awesome - esp a fresh bright green!

I have no notable mental health problems to be able to blame my breakdowns on!  I angrily phoned the florist minutes before I was supposed to walk down the aisle to explain my complete disappointment at her total MISS on my floral inspiration. This can only be credited to me being a complete bridezilla, upset for having spent thousands on blah flowers!

Our venue was all wood - wood walls and floors - so there was no colour there either to "perk" things up.

Samantha301 wrote (see post):

I;m nice and simple - All navy and white, bridesmaids are navy maxi dress with fresh gip in there hair and white rose and gyp flowers, keeping it minimalist ! 

My brothers wedding was pastel - so 4 bridesmaids in different pastel dresses, the cake different pastel colours, the decorations all different, it was ok but not my thing hence why im sticking simple BUT now im seeing the metallics with the navy im jealous, but 9 weeks to go i cant go changing my mind! xx

You can't change everything but you can change small things if you really wanted to? Ask your BMs to wear metallic shoes, buy 1 or 2 cheap metallic tealight holders per table, buy a cake stand and spray paint it metallic? :)

Samantha265 wrote (see post):

We didnt have one. We had multi coloured pompoms and 'flowers' were foliage like ivy, ferns, herbs with some thistles and berries and stuff. I couldn't settle on a few colours so had them all! I'd no BMs to match anyway. We had multi coloured streamers and garlands and stuff too. 

I love that so much! Do you have inspiration pictures?

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340 New bride

I'm struggling with this - I really want to use sunflowers because they're gorgeous and i think they'd give a lovely end-of-summer/harvest vibe for a september wedding.  Neither of us are mad about yellow per se tho, or orange, and I prefer silver to gold tones so we don't want that go down the 'autumn' rabbit hole.  urgh

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride

Our colours are navy, gold, coral and a hint of imagemint

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398
    Barbie3 wrote (see post):

I'm struggling with this - I really want to use sunflowers because they're gorgeous and i think they'd give a lovely end-of-summer/harvest vibe for a september wedding.  Neither of us are mad about yellow per se tho, or orange, and I prefer silver to gold tones so we don't want that go down the 'autumn' rabbit hole.  urgh

Navy would look stunning with sunflowers:) have a Google search :) you could have sunflowers in your flowers but navy and ivory as your main colours with touches of yellow to tie it all together... I quite like the sound of this now but I can' change my colours it's to late 😂

Barbie3 wrote (see post):

imageimageimage

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340 New bride

i had looked at mixing in cornflowers and more of a lighter blue, but it was a bit too 'girl guides' lol.  ur idea with navy is stunning though. thanks