Seating dilemmas and chair covers!

Libby13Libby13 Posts: 244 New bride

So here I am again stressing about small things that I won’t even notice on the day 🙈 the classic chair covers dilemma...

Should I cover our reception chairs or not? they are not awful and I don’t hate them, but I don’t like them either. I’m not keen on the blue part of the seat or the brown wood, I’d love the Limewash Chiavari Chairs but I’ve been quoted a few hundred pounds and not sure if it’s worth it  

I’ve attached photos, do you think the chairs are better covered or not? Im not 100% sure on chair covers I feel they are a bit old fashioned, but maybe they are better than without? Also I’ve considered keeping the chairs as they are but tying a cream bow around each one - would this work because the chair backs are curved?

second question... we’ve ended up having more guests than anticipated which means we might have to have some people seated on a balcony area (see pics). Everyone is in the same room but some people would be upstairs overlooking everyone else. I hate the idea of this!! I feel like people will feel second best and not part of everything going on downstairs and they won’t be able to see the video we are going to show in place of speeches. I didn’t anticipate this issue as we started off with a small guest list 🙈 what do you think about seating people up there? 

imageimageimageimage

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,122 New bride

I can't help you with the seating on the balcony but I would say 100% don't cover the chairs, they look so much better without them!

• Libby13Libby13 Posts: 244 New bride
    Rach371 wrote (see post):

I can't help you with the seating on the balcony but I would say 100% don't cover the chairs, they look so much better without them!

Thank you! Do you think it would be worth paying for chiavari chairs or are the ones we have currently not too bad? Might get a white bow tied around each one but not the covers 

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,122 New bride

Personally I would leave the chairs as they are or maybe get some white bows which I think would look nice .

The chivari look nice when everyone walks in but as soon as everyone is sat down and the men take their jackets off everything is covered anyway! In my view you should spend the money on something all your guests will really enjoy like a sweet table or something!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

I would stick to just the brown chairs, they go with the room and don't look offensive. 

My current view for my own planning is if you could imagine someone saying 'amazing wedding, shame about x' that's when it matters, if it's budget that can be spent elsewhere. I'd think what's most important to you and what you swap/miss out on for chiavari chairs. 

Can the top table sit on the balcony area? Or would longer tables allow for more guests? 

• SpacepuffinSpacepuffin Posts: 664

I definitely wouldn’t cover those chairs. I’m not sure I’d put a bow on them either. They look like smooth wood so I’m not sure how well bows would hold, I think they’d slide down. I think they look good and they suit the venue. X

• Abigail56Abigail56 Posts: 102

**EDITED

I like the wooden chairs as they are. Like everyone else has said, they go well with the venue.

I really dislike chair covers. I recently did a post asking people’s opinions on chair covers and most agreed that they dislike chair covers. But this is just others opinion.

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/general-chat/white-linen-chair-covers-or-limewash-chiavari-chairs/452176.html

:)

Thanks everyone. I think you’re right - no to the chair covers! 

im not sure how we’ll bows would go on either, the backs of the chairs are curved. 

Do you think it is an issue to have some people sat on the balcony area for the meal?

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

I wouldn't put covers over then (I'm covering ours, they are horrid! And it really makes the room so much better) But what about bows like these? I think it would look really lovely with your venue. 

If people were on the balcony to sat would they be able to see/hear the speeches or would it be more secluded? If they can still be involved I'd say yes ximage

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

I think the chairs are fine, I wouldn't bother covering them.

Agree with the idea of putting the top table on the balcony, unless you have an easygoing group of friends you could put up there?

Mrs2018 wrote (see post):

I wouldn't put covers over then (I'm covering ours, they are horrid! And it really makes the room so much better) But what about bows like these? I think it would look really lovely with your venue. 

If people were on the balcony to sat would they be able to see/hear the speeches or would it be more secluded? If they can still be involved I'd say yes ximage

I’d love bows like that - where would I get them from? 

People on the balcony can definitely hear what is going on as they are in the same room but above everyone else (see photo)

We are not having any speeches but we were planning on showing a video instead - I really don’t know how this would work with people upstairs. They could look over the edges of the balcony and see what is going on downstairs, as the balcony overlooks everyone else, but I don’t know how well they’d be able to see the video. And we are planning on having a Fairy light canopy having from the light, which would obstruct the view of those on the balcony 🙈🙈 it’s so difficult!!

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I think the chairs are fine, I wouldn't bother covering them.

Agree with the idea of putting the top table on the balcony, unless you have an easygoing group of friends you could put up there?

We do have easy going friends/distant relatives we could sit there but I really don’t know how they will be able to see the video we are planning on showing. The balcony does overlook the whole room underneath, so they can hear everything and if they look over the edge of the balcony they can see everything below, but not sure they’d be able to see the video very well

we are also unsure about having the top table up there as none of our guests would be able to see us 

Sian91 wrote (see post):

I would stick to just the brown chairs, they go with the room and don't look offensive. 

My current view for my own planning is if you could imagine someone saying 'amazing wedding, shame about x' that's when it matters, if it's budget that can be spent elsewhere. I'd think what's most important to you and what you swap/miss out on for chiavari chairs. 

Can the top table sit on the balcony area? Or would longer tables allow for more guests? 

Thanks Sian, that is good advice. Think I’m going to skip the chair covers and get bows tied round the chair backs like a previous poster has suggested 

the venue only has circular tables unfortunately apart from top table which is long 😞 and the room is pretty narrow so it can only fit a certain number of the tables downstairs. 

We could have the top table on the balcony but no one would be able to see us and there are only 6 of us on the top table anyway 

really unsure of what to do it is stressing me out :( the balcony area does overlook the rest of the room downstairs, but people wouldn’t be able to see our video (that we are having in place of speeches) and may feel secluded. Also their view is obstructed by a fairy light canopy!

• I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with seating! 

I know that you've said your main concern is that guests won't be able to see the video you plan to show, if thats the main concern, can you scrap the idea and have normal speeches instead? 

I honestly think you'll struggle to get any more seating in the area downstairs, and the balcony is nice, but you don't want your guests to feel like an after thought. Does your venue have the facilities/space to have your wedding breakfast somewhere else? 

Emma827 wrote (see post):

I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with seating! 

I know that you've said your main concern is that guests won't be able to see the video you plan to show, if thats the main concern, can you scrap the idea and have normal speeches instead? 

I honestly think you'll struggle to get any more seating in the area downstairs, and the balcony is nice, but you don't want your guests to feel like an after thought. Does your venue have the facilities/space to have your wedding breakfast somewhere else? 

Hi Emma

Thank you for your reply - we definitely don’t want any speeches,  neither of us like them and h2b has a massive phobia of public speaking he wouldnt be able to enjoy the day until speeches are over. We could scrap the video though and i can stand up to say thank you

Youre right, it’s going to be such a squash downstairs. I’ve been advised we can have 6 tables of ten plus our top table, so 66 guests. Already this looks like it will be tight for space! We have 74 guests - two will be babies so could go on their parents lap without needing a seat, so that gives us 72. the top table can fit 10 so I could move four people onto the top table (best men etc)? 

There isn’t anywhere else we could have the breakfast unfortunately, there is a room adjacent to this room but it is where everyone will gather for tea/coffee and our photo booth and everything will be in there, and people would still be in a different room

ill have to hope some people can’t come 🙈 but I’m pretty sure they all can. We’ve already heard back from the ones we weren’t sure could come 

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340 New bride

if u only have 6 on the top table can it go at one end of the room rather than taking up a whole long side? it would give u room for at least 1 more round table then

(and fwiw, I HATE chair covers, lol)

Our venue dresser does something similar to them i imagine most can do it. 

Could you have the video played/projected onto a wall upstairs aswell without the sound so they don' echo? 

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235

I've been to a wedding where some people were sat on a balcony area and I don't think anyone minded being up there. They did do traditional speeches though so it really depends on your video. Can you speak to the venue and see if they could put a second screen up on the balcony maybe?

Barbie3 wrote (see post):

if u only have 6 on the top table can it go at one end of the room rather than taking up a whole long side? it would give u room for at least 1 more round table then

(and fwiw, I HATE chair covers, lol)

Good idea! Im going to ask my venue if I can go over and see all the chairs and tables laid out and see if we can adjust the lay out to fit another table in, that would be the perfect solution if it works (fingers crossed)

MrsMcS wrote (see post):

I've been to a wedding where some people were sat on a balcony area and I don't think anyone minded being up there. They did do traditional speeches though so it really depends on your video. Can you speak to the venue and see if they could put a second screen up on the balcony maybe?

That’s a fab idea, if we have to have people on the balcony and we want the video I’ll definitely ask about this 

at the one you went to did the people hear/see the speeches ok if they were upstairs? 

Mrs2018 wrote (see post):

Our venue dresser does something similar to them i imagine most can do it. 

Could you have the video played/projected onto a wall upstairs aswell without the sound so they don' echo? 

We don’t have a venue dresser but maybe I can find some online, would love for someone else to do it though as I bet it’s time consuming! 

if we have to have people on the balcony I’ll definitely be asking about having the video played upstairs too, good idea! x

Ours charges £1.50 a chair if it's just the chairs but we are having a package deal to dress the tables aswell. Its actuallt rwally easy to do xouble bows as i did it to show my nana how the chairs would look x

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

I’m going to buck the trend and say I’d go for chair covers just because I don’t like the colour of the seat cushions (personal choice)

You mentioned babies sitting on laps...I would make sure you have space for a pram/highchair as it is highly unlikely a parent will eat with a child sat on their knee. Could the venue not hire in long tables? 

• Against popular opinion, I’d also agree with MrsG about chair covers. I don’t like the chairs as is, and would personally want to cover them, but it’s entirely up to you. 

In terms of seating, I agree that your best option is to sit a few guests upstairs and to get a second screen so they can also see the video. I know that you mentioned children sitting on laps, but don’t forget that wedding breakfasts can last hours! I think it would be unfair to expect parents/children to sit like that for that length of time. 

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235
    Libby13 wrote (see post):
    MrsMcS wrote (see post):

That’s a fab idea, if we have to have people on the balcony and we want the video I’ll definitely ask about this 

at the one you went to did the people hear/see the speeches ok if they were upstairs? 

Yes, they had microphones for the speeches so everyone could hear fine. I think they did maybe have to stand up to see though.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

I'd leave the chair covers - the chairs really aren't offensive and once everyone's sat down (or even when the seats are tucked under the table) you won't see the colour of the cushion. Maybe some white or cream draped fabric but I bet these are a similar price to the full covers as they're quite trendy at the moment so I think the money could probably be better spent!

With regards to seating - do you have any teenage guests? I can imagine older children that don't need constant supervision and teenagers would quite like being sat up there and feeling a bit cool and out of the way of the adults - I'm sure most can be trusted to behave and you could have people popping up to make sure they're all fine. They're probably less fussed about the speeches anyway.