How much more shall I do?

Hi everyone😁 I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice.

Myself and my partner have set a date for our wedding for July 2020. So far we have booked a photographer and booked our venue. 

I am aware that 2 years is still a way yet! But just wondering how much more we should plan? Don't want to seem silly to family and friends planning so prematurely, especially when some have made fun of us and said our wedding is ages away yet

Thank you in advance xx 😁❤️

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride

We’re May 2019 and I’ve had so many comments about how far in advance we’ve booked things. The best bit of advice I’ve had is once the venue is booked, look to book the people who can’t be in two places at once- band, photographe, MUA.. 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

I'd say once you have the venue, the photographer and the caterers sorted (if not being done by venue) then you can sit back and relax for a while :)

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398

If you need a registrar for your venue don't forget to book them now aswell as they do book up early :) other than that just take your time browsing ideas for now. Researxh local entertainment, florists and venue dressers to see where is best in your area x

• Ah thank you both 😁

Unfortunately the venue we have doesn't supply food, we have to sort that ourselves.

We will have around 160 guests and trying to figure out what to feed them is the toughie. We were thinking of a hog roast for the main meal but a pork and stuffing roll and a bit of a salad won't keep everyone satisfied for such a long day. So we need 2 feed 160 guests twice. Dreading the cost if I'm honest 🤦‍♀️🙄🤣

• Venue and tog are about the two most important pieces this early on. Maybe a videographer if you are absolutely sure your budget has room and you want one and they are one of the ones that's in high demand.

I'd strongly, strongly caution against booking or buying too much else. This forum is fraught with brides selling everything from dresses to decor - I've even seen people attempting to resell their venue/ deposit because they've changed their minds even on that.

Now's a great time to both save money and brainstorm ideas. Work out your budget, start tooling around with a possible guest list...and just enjoy being engaged.  It's a terrific feeling being engaged, especially before all of the real pressures of planning hit.

All of the major wedding mags have timelines in them (this website probably does too somewhere). Get ahold of one of those timelines and use it as a guide. You'll have a few more tasks to tackle at the 18 month mark, but most will be more in the 1 year-9 month area.

• Mrs2018Mrs2018 Posts: 398
    JessicaDawn wrote (see post):

Ah thank you both 😁

Unfortunately the venue we have doesn't supply food, we have to sort that ourselves.

We will have around 160 guests and trying to figure out what to feed them is the toughie. We were thinking of a hog roast for the main meal but a pork and stuffing roll and a bit of a salad won't keep everyone satisfied for such a long day. So we need 2 feed 160 guests twice. Dreading the cost if I'm honest 🤦‍♀️🙄🤣

We recently went to a wedding with a hog roast and it was delicious! The hog roast also did sausages and everyone went up for seconds. Then they had a basic finger buffet of sandwiches, savoury snacks, cakes and a fruit platter which their family made and delivered to the venue the morning of the wedding. They opened the buffet about an hour or 2 after the hog roast arrived. X

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

We booked our wedding venue and registrar 2 years 3 months in advance.

We now have 17 months to go and we are just starting to look at photographers and will hopefully book in the next 3 months. Not having a florist or cars.

Other than bits I buy from my Amazon wishlist every payday, we aren't doing anything major now until we hit the '1 year to go' mark. I do keep an eye out in the sales though, I bought my ring in the sales a couple of weeks ago because it was reduced by well over 50%.

I've been to 2 weddings with hog roasts, one with rolls, salad etc, one served with roast potatoes and veg. I didn't feel the need to eat anything else at either.

• Hi! We’re getting married in June 2019 and booked last August...as we had the date we thought we’d get some quotes for photographers and bands and to our horror found a lot of them already booked. I guess that’s because we are getting married on a Saturday in June! We didn’t do anything else until after Xmas and booked our humanist celebrant and hair and make up. Again I was finding that people were already booked which I couldn’t believe! I should say not so many people were booked that I started to panic but if you have your heart set on a particular vendor then I don’t see any harm in getting them  pencilled in. Most other things can wait but as someone said above a lot of vendors can’t be in two places at once! I thought we were being silly booking things now but actually I feel pleased we got what we wantee and less overwhelmed by all there is to do. We’re having a little wedding planning break now and will pick back up once 12 months out for starting planning dress etc. Hope this helps! It’s  a very exciting time and we’ve had fun being able to focus on a couple of things at once rather than having to do it all at once. There is no right way to plan just whatever works and suits you!

• AmyrosieAmyrosie Posts: 134 New bride

I was also surprised how quickly suppliers were booked up. We’re a Saturday in June and started planning 12 - 14 months out and were turned down by cake makers and photographers (as they were already booked).

I found the best approach was to roughly agree what we wanted with supplier, pay a deposit to book, and then agree the details / final design closer to the actual wedding!

Good Luck!

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I started with just over 2 years to go and now we are down to 7 weeks ish! Personally I think the core bits - venue, food, photographer, florist, DJ/band are always worth booking early to get who you want. That being said anything where you have to make a more exact decision, e.g type of food, make sure you take some time to think and ensure it’s what you want. Sometimes over time you can change your mind. With our florist I booked her early 2017, but have changed a few bits to my initial quote which is fine. 

I found some months we planned loads then 5 months would pass and we hadn’t done much, but that’s the great thing about planning far ahead, it doesn’t have to take over your whole life (until the last weeks!) and you can enjoy being engaged and planning!