Forum home Planning

Save the dates for evening guests

JMB2019JMB2019 Posts: 74 New bride

is anyone sending save the "evening" to evening guests? 

if so how far in advance did you send them and do you think it worked? 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

You don't usually send save the dates to evening guests.

I sent our evening invites about a month before the wedding. It was a Friday in July and most were able to make it.

Evening invites are a lot more flexible that day invites as you don't have to arrange a sit down meal (and you usually cater for 75% of your guests at an evening buffet) and you can invite more people if you get a lot of declines.

• Kitty12Kitty12 Posts: 119 New bride

We had two different Save The Date cards made up, one for day guests and one for evening. It avoided any confusion, but did make it difficult to “upgrade” evening guests if day guests couldn’t make it. We did this for three couples, but we explained the numbers/budget issues and they were fine.

We sent them out about 7 months before the wedding.

• I don‘t think it’s the norm to do an evening one, I did though. It was mainly because my husband had split his large friendship group and wanted them all to be aware that they were invited and not forgotten even if it was going to be just for an evening.

• JMB2019JMB2019 Posts: 74 New bride

Our wedding is a sunday, so I would like to give the evening guests advance notice for time off work etc, on the other hand I could just send the evening invites a few months in advance. 

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

We are just sending the evening invites at the same time as day ones. Only day guests received save the dates as they would need to book time off work etc x