Gift lists? Yay or Nay?

Im just curious about everyone’s stance on gift lists. Are you having one or not? What helped influence this decision? If you have one what kind of things have you put on it? If you don’t did you ask for cash or anything else? Or did you just leave it off all together?

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 856 New bride

We've not got a gift list - we already live together and with a one year old we'd much prefer a big holiday (honeymoon) just the two of us, than redecorating our house! 

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

We arent having a gift list but have said if you would like get us something and need ideas we would appreciate cash towards a honeymoon. 

Asking always feels so awkward but lots of people want to get something you need/want and like being given a suggestion. My Cousin didn’t have any notes on gifts for her wedding and she got around 30 photo frames and champagne, which obviously is generous of people but she hasn’t used all the frames and it’s such a waste! 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

We aren’t having one as we are getting married abroad so appreciate how much effort and expense people are going to to share our day with us, I would never dream of a gift on top although I’m sure some people might still want to. If that is the case then they can choose to give whatever they wish without our guidance and it would be gratefully received. We are making it quite clear that we really don’t ”want” presents at all though, we’d really rather people spent the money enjoying their time away with us! 

• SpacepuffinSpacepuffin Posts: 664

We had one with 12 gifts on it. We had some guests that didn’t want to give us money and wanted to give something we could keep. We decided it would be better to give them some guidance To avoid the photo frame situation! Nothing on our list cost more than £60 and we put little bits and bobs that we really like, will keep but would never buy for ourselves Like a Le Creuset teapot and a fancy salt and pepper mill. X

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride

We had a gift list, mostly to avoid the photo frame situation. We were also completely renovating our house so it was a good time to get some new things to go with the new décor. We made sure to have a good range of items from £50 to no more the £70. We also had a gift voucher option and a charity donation option should people prefer.

As a guest, I wouldn't go to a wedding empty handed. If there is no gift list we will tend to give vouchers or cash. I don't mind what the gift list is, be it things for the house or honeyfund etc. I also don't mind if the couple stipulates a charity to donate to instead.

For destination weddings it has slightly depended on the couple. All of the ones we have been to the couple either live in the county or one of the couple is originally from the country so its not like they have just decided to go abroad. We have either given cash (as requested) or a small easy to pack gift which is usually a photo frame or some mini speakers or something.

• We’re popping a note in saying if people want to give a gift we’d like $’s for our honeymoon, I then plan to do personalised thank you’d with a photo of what that persons contribution got us :) 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

Definitely having one- we have got one that we will be doing from John Lewis, and then another at Amazon.  Items will range from £4 to around £500.  We have lived together for a while, and both owned houses before, but we just moved into our forever home, so there are plenty of little bits we would like.  

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 1,122 New bride

We haven't done one, we have more than enough stuff in our house without adding to it!

I'm hoping people take the hint and give us cold hard cash (just kidding but also sort of not....) But im prepared to get a lot of bottles of wine or personalised champagne flutes and picture frames! Neither of which I really want but I hate the poems about contributing to a honeymoon or asking for cash so we've left it to our guests to decide 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

We’re using Prezola (the plus option, it was free when I signed up but usually £59 I believe) and going to have options to contribute towards honeymoon experiences and also  few bits if people want to give us a physical gift. 

• MrsMcSMrsMcS Posts: 235

We haven't done a list or mentioned gifts at all on the invite. A few people have asked and we tell them that we don't need or expect anything, if they really want to give us something then we'd rather let them decide for themselves. 

Honestly our preference is for people to give us cash rather than a gift, but asking for cash is such a contentious issue (with my mum in particular!) and I don't like the poems, so in the end we decided saying nothing was best.

• The few guests we are inviting to our wedding are having to travel from Essex to Scotland so I'm saying no gifts are required, just their presence (I can spot a cheesy line ready for our invites there).

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

We are not mentioning gifts, one friend is doing our invites and some cookies for us and a few others are chipping in for our gin trolley at the reception as they have asked.

If other people ask we will probably say cash towards our honeymoon but really we aren't bothered if we end up with 60 photo frames.

I have nothing against gift lists and quite like choosing off them but not a fan of the poems.  However my friend had the honeymoon one where you chose an activity for them and I spent ages chosing what I thought they would love to find out they just got the cold hard cash.  I didn't like that at all, I'd rather they just asked for the cash.

• We did a John Lewis Gift list as we’ve just bought our first house together and knew we wanted to start from scratch and get some lovely new bits. We had a complete range of price points so there was something for everyone. We also got a lot of vouchers too! We had it all delivered a couple of days after the wedding which was fun opening all the boxes with a glass of fizz! X