Research - Wedding Planner?

Hi Lovely Brides to Be,

I wonder whether you can all help me? I am currently thinking of starting my own company as a Wedding Planner. I have recently been made redundant from my 10 year role as a PA and Event Manager for a busy London office. 

I have arranged many intricate events with high profile clients and deal with pressure very well. I am very organised, with spreadsheets and detailed plans/ things to do lists that even make my project manager husband jealous.

Weddings have always been a passion of mine and over the years I have planned many for friends and family, including my own in the picturesque French Dordogne. I seem to be the go to lady for anything from Calligraphy writing the table plan, to arranging order of service, to putting the brides hair up on the day. 

I was looking for honest opinions on whether you lovely brides to be would ever use a wedding planner? where you would go to source a wedding planner? and how involved in your wedding planning and day you would like them?

Your thoughts will be most appreciated. 

Many thanks

Megan 

• I think the use of wedding planners can be invaluable, but its still very much seen as a luxury for those who have a bigger budget and less time.
    Personally, while id love a helping hand were on such a tight budget that even a couple of hundred is just a bit much, so its immediately out of the question. 

I think if you provide options it helps, or just gun for the wealthier clientele otherwise its quite a saturated and hard market. 
  • I have event planning experience as well (and have been married three times, plus organised the weddings of several other ladies) and have tossed the idea around for many years.  In the end, I keep the job I have because there just isn't a lot of money in wedding planning.  As CoffeDogAddict says, the market is saturated in any urban market, and there's no demand for it elsewhere. 
    Every once in a while when I'm thinking about it again, I talk myself out of it by researching other people and companies that do it.  Every year, there's at least one bride from this forum that goes into it (or a related line of work like venue styling) and it's always sad to see that the business didn't work out.  Locally, I'll have a nosey on the websites and FB pages of other planners and every year, someone else drops out of the business.  There's one in my area that actually discusses on their website about how the co-owners all have second/ "real" jobs because wedding planning isn't exactly going to pay the bills.
    Many venues (even churches) have planners that work on a part-time basis.  Maybe think about giving it a try part-time as supplemental income.
  • Thank you so much ladies this is such a help, the wedding industry is such a large industry but wedding planners business don't seem to flourish unless they have a wealthy network. 
  • You're quite right, they really don't. Many can do it part-time or as a side job, but not full-time and not to "pay all the bills" so to speak.
    So unless you're in LA or somewhere similar and are connected to the wealthy folks that would utilize these services, the chances of making a living at it full-time are slim.