Is it too early ?

Hi,

So we got engaged at Christmas (2017) decided a week ago we was going to go through with it and get married. We have decided to do it 2021, which would be a 10 year anniversary.

Now I have got really giddy and started planning everything already (Hoping to have venue booked by next week) 

Am I being a bit too advanced with the planning ? None of my bridesmaids have been married before so they aren't very good at stuff like this :) family and soon to be in laws are giving as much advise as they can, I just don't like pestering all the time. 

I don't want to go over the top so any money saving hints and tips is are most very welcome. 

Sorry for waffling on ha ha :smile:

• Booking the venue is probably a safe move but you'd be wise to hold off on anything else until about 18 months out.  At 18 months, you can start booking your other major vendors like your photographer.  The rest is best left to a year or under.
    Definitely do not suggest announcing/ inviting your wedding party members until as late as possible, and definitely do not suggest buying your dress more than a year out as well as any smaller purchases (like decor). 
  • Personally, I would say yes it’s too early. If the venue is a venue that sells out and you must book years in advance then of course do so. However, I know from experience that a lot can change in a few years... our wedding went from abroad to October in a hotel to a summer marquee wedding! I now have one less bridesmaid and our guest list has changed a thousand times. Your taste may change and you don’t want that to end up costing you more in the long run x
  • I agree with all the above! We had to book our venue about 20 months out, but that was purely because we had only a handful of dates we could go for (FH is a teacher so had ti tie in with a holiday) and it would have meant we either had a 22 month engagement or a 8 month one really and we needed to save. 

I bought a dress right away and regretted it, had to sell it. Ive changed colour ideas more times than i can remember. By all means book the venue if its right, but use the rest of the time to plan, look around and get ideas. Ive been working on spreadsheets to get my head round a timeline of what needs to be done when, how things can be done and now when i hit the year mark ill be ready to just start cracking on!
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,064 New bride
    edited 6 February

We booked our venue almost 2 1/2 years ahead to get the date we wanted. I wouldn't suggest buying décor or dresses etc. until closer to the time, unless you have always known exactly what you want. I bought my dress 18 months in advance but I've always known exactly what type of dress I want. I've changed my mind on centerpieces once, but it's no loss because my first idea was just to recycles jars and bottles so didn't cost anything at all.

I also wouldn't ask people to be bridesmaids/best men until you are about a year out, as I've seen so many posts on here and other wedding groups where relationships have changed and people have regretted asking people so early.

Good photographers, cake makers, florists and hair and make up people do get booked up early, but you still don't need to look any more than a year to 18 months in advance really.

• I'm really surprised at the other responses you've had so far!!
    We got engaged May 2018, getting married May 2020, and within 3-4 months we had pretty much the majority of our suppliers booked!
    There was a photographer I knew I loved so I messaged him for prices/availability literally a fortnight after we got engaged (so almost 2 years before the date of the wedding) and he was already booked up for our date! This certainly hasn't been a one off. In the months following, I've had hairdressers/make up artists/other photographers/cake makers all tell me they are already booked on our date.
    If I were you, I'd book the big suppliers as soon as you know who you want. You'd rather get the date before someone more organised does!
  • I'm really surprised at the other responses you've had so far!!
    We got engaged May 2018, getting married May 2020, and within 3-4 months we had pretty much the majority of our suppliers booked!
    There was a photographer I knew I loved so I messaged him for prices/availability literally a fortnight after we got engaged (so almost 2 years before the date of the wedding) and he was already booked up for our date! This certainly hasn't been a one off. In the months following, I've had hairdressers/make up artists/other photographers/cake makers all tell me they are already booked on our date.
    If I were you, I'd book the big suppliers as soon as you know who you want. You'd rather get the date before someone more organised does!

Thank you!

This is exactly what I thought, My venue has already had a lot of booking for 2021.

My other big concern is that it will fall on a bank holiday Sunday!

The Cake is being done by a family member so that is a big help. It was more the bigger things I was so concerned about. Bridesmaids and Groomsmen have been asked but it is all family and my FH Kids (Who are in the 20s)

I am very grateful for all the help you guys are giving though.

My main reason for wanting to get booked so much in advance is to help with payments and money. Much nicer to have it all spread out.

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 365 New bride
    I was engaged for 26 months and also had most stuff booked or organised well before the one year out mark, and my wedding was wonderful! Doing it all early took a lot of anxiety off of my mind. We didn't change our minds about anything that couldn't be altered. We probably spent about £100 on little bits we ended up not using or decisions we changed (half of that being my fault because I kept buying shoes!). 

One plus was booking the big items before their prices went up as they do every year. We had several suppliers who upped their prices but had to honour our original agreements so we got them cheap. It also spread the costs of the wedding over the two years (although that shouldn't make a difference if you are good at saving!).

One thing you must do if you are planning early is to switch off from the areas you've already booked to stop yourself second guessing your decisions. One thing for me was the cake - we had asked some baker friends to do it, but I found myself nearer the time worrying it would look terrible and should we have put several hundred pounds towards a professional one? Turns out, I had no need to worry! At the same time, if you find something is constantly on your mind as not being quite right, have the guts to go back to it and see how you can alter it. The only big issue for me was my hair, which I agreed to in the trial and then months later finally had the courage to go back to the hair dresser and say "actually, this isn't what I wanted". I had to pay for a second trial, but I'm glad I did.

So yes, there are pros and cons to getting it all done early. Certainly, people do post here about not being close to the women they'd asked to be bridesmaids anymore, or buying a dress two years prior and wondering if they had made the right choice, so that is something to bear in mind. For me, booking and organising early was definitely the right choice.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,064 New bride
    I'm getting married on a bank holiday Sunday and it has been no issue at all with suppliers, they expect to be working at these times. Except one lady who was new to the cake making business, and said she never worked August bank holiday or a week either side of it as her and her husband always went on holiday then. I pointed out she may want to rethink always taking the busiest wedding weekend of the year off work....
  • MrsCToBee said:
    I'm getting married on a bank holiday Sunday and it has been no issue at all with suppliers, they expect to be working at these times. Except one lady who was new to the cake making business, and said she never worked August bank holiday or a week either side of it as her and her husband always went on holiday then. I pointed out she may want to rethink always taking the busiest wedding weekend of the year off work....

Thank you.

A few suppliers I have spoke too (Mainly Photographers) Are booked for my date in 2021.

I think a lot is excitement has taken over for me. I haven't really organised anything yet apart from the Venue, which I fell in love with an is ideal location and offers everything I wanted.

• Omrum,

Thank you for your message it was very helpful. Kind of echoed exactly how I was thinking :)

• Thank you!

This is exactly what I thought, My venue has already had a lot of booking for 2021.

The Cake is being done by a family member so that is a big help. It was more the bigger things I was so concerned about. Bridesmaids and Groomsmen have been asked but it is all family and my FH Kids (Who are in the 20s)

My main reason for wanting to get booked so much in advance is to help with payments and money. Much nicer to have it all spread out.

Definitely! I'm a bank holiday weekend too (the Saturday though) and we've been told by a few suppliers that our date is one of the most popular of 2020. My thinking is.. Photographers can only book one wedding and think of how many people will be getting married the same day - what's the point in holding off when I know who I want?
    I also wanted to know exactly how much I was going to be paying out too so I could make sure I was saving enough every month.
    Two years in advance is definitely not too early to get things booked.. I know suppliers with 2022 bookings already. Better safe than sorry!

• Thank you!

Definitely! I'm a bank holiday weekend too (the Saturday though) and we've been told by a few suppliers that our date is one of the most popular of 2020. My thinking is.. Photographers can only book one wedding and think of how many people will be getting married the same day - what's the point in holding off when I know who I want?
    I also wanted to know exactly how much I was going to be paying out too so I could make sure I was saving enough every month.
    Two years in advance is definitely not too early to get things booked.. I know suppliers with 2022 bookings already. Better safe than sorry!
    I fully agree. 

Thank you so much :)
  • I don't think you're organising too early, especially when booking your venue! I got engaged in November 2017 and my wedding is in April 2020 and I've booked almost everything! To be honest I always knew roughly what I wanted and I was far too excited to just do nothing for two years XD Also I think it's taken the "wedding stress" away because everything is sorted and on track. Oddly enough lots of my suppliers liked how early I was when booking, it made their lives easier as well as mine. If you are indecisive then maybe hold off a bit but if you know your vision- go for it and have fun! :)
  • I don't think you're organising too early, especially when booking your venue! I got engaged in November 2017 and my wedding is in April 2020 and I've booked almost everything! To be honest I always knew roughly what I wanted and I was far too excited to just do nothing for two years XD Also I think it's taken the "wedding stress" away because everything is sorted and on track. Oddly enough lots of my suppliers liked how early I was when booking, it made their lives easier as well as mine. If you are indecisive then maybe hold off a bit but if you know your vision- go for it and have fun! :)

Thank you.

I have an idea of everything I do want. My FH is no good, if he was any further laid back he would be asleep. He won't have certain colours or get married in a certain area (Football ha ha) other than that he isn't bothered what Food I go for or what songs I pick. I just like the idea of having most of it booked, so I can start planning money and how everything is going to go in my little book :)

• JLM2290JLM2290 Posts: 15 New bride
    I don't think it's too early to look into the big items! Our engagement will be 21 months in total, we got engaged December 2017 and getting married this September. We found and booked our venue maybe three months in, and booked our photographer immediately afterwards as she only had a handful of dates left for 2019 (luckily ours was one, she was my first choice!). We've found that by booking all the big items earlier, we've been able to book our first choice of everything. Caterers, videos, makeup artist, styling, celebrant etc., so I would definitely recommend locking in who you want now, if you know that you want them. Plus, as other brides have mentioned, suppliers often raise their prices year on year, so someone you like now might be more expensive in 2020 if you leave it til next year to book them. I think it's much less stressful to have suppliers all ticked off! I'd just be sure of everything you want though, as we might have to change our venue and that is quite stressful - so be absolutely certain before you sign a contract! I'd say wait a while on the dress and outfits, decorations etc. as your taste might change though. Hope that helps! x
  • JLM2290 said:
    I don't think it's too early to look into the big items! Our engagement will be 21 months in total, we got engaged December 2017 and getting married this September. We found and booked our venue maybe three months in, and booked our photographer immediately afterwards as she only had a handful of dates left for 2019 (luckily ours was one, she was my first choice!). We've found that by booking all the big items earlier, we've been able to book our first choice of everything. Caterers, videos, makeup artist, styling, celebrant etc., so I would definitely recommend locking in who you want now, if you know that you want them. Plus, as other brides have mentioned, suppliers often raise their prices year on year, so someone you like now might be more expensive in 2020 if you leave it til next year to book them. I think it's much less stressful to have suppliers all ticked off! I'd just be sure of everything you want though, as we might have to change our venue and that is quite stressful - so be absolutely certain before you sign a contract! I'd say wait a while on the dress and outfits, decorations etc. as your taste might change though. Hope that helps! x

This has helped Thank you!

I have already spoken to a photographer who has advised he will honour the price he gives me. Which is fab! That again is another bonus with it being a big ticket item if you will.