Wedding insurance

Hi :)

I am sure this has been asked a few times.
As I  am planning so early (2021) Anything could happen. 

Has anyone invested  in wedding insurance ? I am a bit useless at this kind of stuff and FH who has worked in insurance in the past has never heard of it.

Thank you for any help :)

• I got it with Wedinsure i have a history in insurance so did a few comparisons and found it had pretty comprehensive cover - the same as Debenhams and John Lewis, but it was a bit cheaper. 

I definitely think its worth it though, especially when planning far in advance as you just don't know what can happen. You hear horror stories of floods and fires and brides being left without a venue the week before, and while insurance wont rebuild it for you at least you're not then also worrying about having to fork out another few grand last minute! 
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 592 New bride
    I had John Lewis insurance. Fortunately, I didn't need to use it but it offered me peace of mind, especially as our wedding was in December so it could have snowed.
  • Hi all,

My name is Suzi and I'm a producer working for a television production company called Little Gem. I'm saying hello because we are currently making a brand new wedding series for one of the UK's major broadcasters and we are looking for engaged couples who are getting married THIS YEAR between April and July, who need some wedding assistance! We are working with one of the world's most respected wedding planners who will be there to help you with any last minute wedding related issues. If your venue has pulled out last minute, you're having issues with your guest list or wedding party, or problems with a spiralling budget - our expert planner will be able to help!

If this is you, or if you know of a bride or groom facing some problems - please don't hesitate to get in touch by contacting [email protected] or message me privately for any more info.

Thanks so much! Suzi x
  • Yes GET IT!!!!!! I always advise all of my brides to buy it as you just never know what could happen (for example if the venue burns down and you can't get married, a supplier could go AWOL or bust, not to mention the unthinkable if you needed to reschedule due to immediate family illness etc).  
    My husband was made redundant about 2 months before the wedding.  If he had worked there for over a year (unfortunately he was just shy of that) then we would pretty much have had the whole wedding paid for us.  

There are loads of different companies, each providing different cover etc so find the one that is right for you rather than just going with the same company as others x
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,451 New bride
    We used Arthur Brown wedding insurance.
  • Thank you guys for your help!

I was just worried incase it wasn't actually what it said it was. I worry after a friend of mine had paid for 8 suits on hire through a company who then went into administration a month before her wedding. She couldn't get her suits and the money wouldn't be back in time for the wedding so she had a lot of problems.

Thanks again for your help.

• As with any insurance though, it can take time for them to pay out.  The point is they will (eventually), which is better than not at all x
  • We didn't have insurance as the only real big thing we were paying for was our venue, which was only just over £1000 for the day (it was a lighthouse) and didn't have any suppliers really! However, I have known so many people have issues with suppliers who lost money because they didn't have insurance that if I had been paying for any more than the venue, I would definitely have invested in insurance. Especially if it's quite in advance you are booking or paying anything in advance. 
  • cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 257 New bride
    It was a condition of our venue that we had insurance! I have John Lewis
  • We Are 2 years and a few months in advance booking. So I think it is the right idea because anything can happen in those 2 months.

The Venue is our Ceremony, Party and Caterers so we would lose a lot just in that alone.

Thanks everyone for your help it is appreciated.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,451 New bride

We Are 2 years and a few months in advance booking. So I think it is the right idea because anything can happen in those 2 months.

The Venue is our Ceremony, Party and Caterers so we would lose a lot just in that alone.

You can't usually buy insurance until 2 years before, so buy it first, then book your other vendors.
  • MrsCToBee said:

We Are 2 years and a few months in advance booking. So I think it is the right idea because anything can happen in those 2 months.

You can't usually buy insurance until 2 years before, so buy it first, then book your other vendors.
    We have already booked most things but I will keep that in mind about 2 years, 

Thank you
  • Aimee87Aimee87 Posts: 2 New bride
    Here's a nice post you might find helpful -- https://www.theknot.com/content/wedding-insurance-101
    For example you can check whether the reception site has already their own insurance, so you don't need to pay for overlapping coverage out of your own pocket. Also when choosing the insruance company checklimitations like how far in advance you can purchase insurance. Actually you can compare various insurnace companies at https://www.aardvarkcompare.com/.