Ceremony time for a winter wedding

MrsW2020MrsW2020 Posts: 259 New bride
Sorry, reposting as it posted with the incorrect username to start with!

Hi all, I'm new here, only very recently engaged!

We've booked our venue for November 2020 and the next thing we'd like to do is provisionally book a registrar, as we are getting married and having the reception in the same place. The venue say they normally have a ceremony start time of 2pm but we can pick whatever time we like. 

I'm worried that 2pm might be too late considering it will be dark by about 4:30/5pm, maybe even earlier if it rains! I'm thinking of 1:30pm instead which isn't a huge difference, but should give us enough time to get photos in before it gets too dark. Are there any other Winter brides here that can give me any advice on when to have the ceremony?

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 900 New bride
    We had our ceremony mid-December at 2:30pm. The service was about an hour long, then we did photos (inside the church), so yes, it was dark by the time we got out.

Our considerations were that we wanted to have the ceremony late enough so that our guests could eat lunch beforehand, as we were only serving one meal at the reception, so we couldn't really do it much earlier. We were concerned about the photographs, but most professional photographers should have the right equipment to deal with that sort of thing, and it was one of the things we specifically asked ours about before we hired him. As we knew it would be dark, we were going to try and get some sparklers photos but unfortunately it rained too hard and we couldn't go outside!

The plus side of it being dark by the time we got to the reception was that we mainly decorated using fairy lights, which was simple but effective.
  • MrsW2020MrsW2020 Posts: 259 New bride
    OmRum said:
    We had our ceremony mid-December at 2:30pm. The service was about an hour long, then we did photos (inside the church), so yes, it was dark by the time we got out.

Our considerations were that we wanted to have the ceremony late enough so that our guests could eat lunch beforehand, as we were only serving one meal at the reception, so we couldn't really do it much earlier. We were concerned about the photographs, but most professional photographers should have the right equipment to deal with that sort of thing, and it was one of the things we specifically asked ours about before we hired him. As we knew it would be dark, we were going to try and get some sparklers photos but unfortunately it rained too hard and we couldn't go outside!

The plus side of it being dark by the time we got to the reception was that we mainly decorated using fairy lights, which was simple but effective.
    Thank you! We're definitely going to have lots of fairy lights and candles, our venue has log burners around as well so even if it's dark it should feel really cosy! We decided to book a 1:30 ceremony time :)