What to dress the bride on her hen!?

MissSMissS Posts: 267 New bride
HI everyone. I'm MOH so planning a hen for my friend in Newqay. I'm struggling with fancy dress ideas. She's travelled the world and is going travelling for her honeymoon. I want the fancy dress to be round the world which shell love but I'm struggling on finding something to make her stand out, she is the bride she needs to look the best! her favourite place Is Alaska so I wanted to dress her kind of like an ice queen however this hasnt gone down well with other people and seems quite hard to do. Pls help for a round the world costume to make her look amazing and stand out. thank you thank you xx

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    Ice road trucker?
    Bear?
  • MissSMissS Posts: 267 New bride
    Ah no cos I want her to look nice 😂 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    Just get her a veil and sash etc then.
    It being in Newquay, I'd probably dress her as a seagull 😂 Or sexy sailors? Fits in with the travel too?
  • MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 837 New bride
    Sorry, but I’m not sure fancy dress ever looks “nice”. In my opinion it always looks a bit tacky. If you want nice, I would ditch the fancy dress and just ask everyone to dress up nice, she’s probably looking forward to feeling amazing in a nice going out outfit of some sort. Make the dress code glam and let her choose something. 
  • MrsTracey said:
    Sorry, but I’m not sure fancy dress ever looks “nice”. In my opinion it always looks a bit tacky. If you want nice, I would ditch the fancy dress and just ask everyone to dress up nice, she’s probably looking forward to feeling amazing in a nice going out outfit of some sort. Make the dress code glam and let her choose something. 
    100% agree. But I've never been a fan of fancy dress in circumstances - and definitely not for a hen. I second the lovely glam idea!
  • Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 586 New bride
    I think the connotations of an ice queen could be what's putting the others off. 
    I think unless you're going to dress her up as a traveller (binoculars, khaki etc) I'd let her choose her own thing as travel is pretty hard to convey. You could have your accessories travel themed though and the games? X
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 893 New bride
    My opinions are a bit opposite to the other posters (sorry!).

For my hen party, my bridesmaids decided to go with the glam, evening-out look, which I actually found quite disappointing. At previous hen parties, we had done fun dressing up ideas, and I was hoping they would have come up with something quirky and unique for me as well, so felt a bit deflated when the outfit they picked out for me was basically what I'd worn recently to a birthday party. I didn't even get a novelty veil!

It's important to know your audience. If she likes dressing up, then perhaps think more of a theme rather than costumes. For instance, everyone has to wear an item of the same colour, or something with flowers, or funny hats, for instance. Then people have options of what they wear but can still fit in with the theme for not too much cost or effort. If she likes Alaska then perhaps you could ask people to wear something to do with America, or everyone wear red, white and blue? (Sorry I don't know much about Alaska to be able to offer more specific ideas!)

Also it obviously depends on what activities you plan to do. Glam dresses and heels won't do for paint-balling! At the same time, many bars won't allow you in with fancy dress (nothing like being dressed in a bed-sheet toga and not being able to get into the pub - ah, student life!).

But as I said, it's important to know what she would like. If she's the sort of person who'd rather dress up nicely than wear something silly, then that's what you need to go with.